ABS problem, ABS and VSA lights on

goldeen

Hello everyone i'm new here, just registered.

I have a problem with the ABS system apparently. Few weeks ago my ABS and VAS lamps on the dash (the lamp that signals hand break also) lighted up.

There are few things i figured but still have no idea what to do.

1. When i start the car in the morning sometimes there seems to be no problem with the ABS, as in no lights are on. But when i drive for few minutes and then stop the car for like 5-10 mins they light back on.

2. When i pull the hand break the light for VAS starts shining more brightly ( i don't know if that has anything to do with it )

I know there are 2 plugs for reading codes near the glovebox, One is 2p plug for the engine codes and the other is 5p plug for the ABS codes.

The problem is that my 5p plug has only 4 wires (2,3,4, and 5 (1-empty)), and when i have the ABS and VAS lights on and short circuit 3 and 5 on the 5p plug nothing happens, ABS and VAS are lighted up but no bleeping.

That happens on my aerodeck 1.4 MB8

Thank you all in advance!

First thing to check is your brake fluid level mate. If its low it will light up the brake warning/handbrake light. Also check the wires/plug on the brake fluid resevoir to make sure all is ok there. Last thing to check for the handbrake light fault is the actual handbrake switch. It could be the switch is faulty which would also make the light stay on but go brighter when the handbrake is applied.

For the abs, you can pull the code by using the two pin diagnostic plug. Theres a how to in the forum on how to get the abs codes which will tell you where the fault is on the abs side of things. Most likely an abs sensor has failed. On saying that, not sure the 1.4 civics had abs?

First of all not all 1.4 civics have ABS, mine has. 

I thought it was pretty clear that the problem is in the ABS and not in the hand break and/or the breaks. My breaks work perfectly and i changed the break fluid and tested the cables on the cap of the break fluid reservoir and it all works perfectly fine.

As in for the codes, as you can see i've read all that can be read and went through all the tutorials about how to get the codes but in my case the ABS and VAS lamps, when they light up at some point they STAY LIGHTED UP whatever you do. So for instance if you were to try to get the codes with that 5pin plug that i read about in other topics you have to do it when the ABS lamp is on so it indicates some problem BUT when you do that the ABS and VAS lights DON'T BLINK. They are just ON even with the cable short circuited on the 3rd and the 5th pins. And for that i can't see what the actual problem is ... no blinking therefor no codes ;//

The first post says the handbrake light is on all the time mate, and also the abs light meaning there are two separate faults. So there does appear to be a problem somewhere with either the handbrake switch or possibly the wiring at the swtich or at the fluid resevoir cap. It might also be the sensor for the brake fluis thats gone. The issues with the handbrake light fault should be easy enough to sort out be process of elimination.

The abs fault however is going to be more complicated to resolve.

Ok, lets leave the VSA light on the side and look at the ABS problem (although i think they are both indicators for a mutual problem). But for the sake of progress lets think of the ABS problem as a sepparate one. What can i do when i can't read the error codes for some reason so i can locate the problem? Change every part one by one? Is that the only way?

BTW i checked all that has to be checked according to the repair manual, the fuses, the relays, grounds etc. no luck so far.

might be worth disconnecting the battery for a bit, reset the ecu (theres a guide for this too) to see if it will let you pull the code for the fault? 

Worst case scenario would be that the main abs unit has failed, although they tend to be pretty reliable. Has to be something stopping you getting the codes so try the ecu reset first.

It's as if when you let it rest for like 10 hours the error clears it self but when you drive for few kilometers on the next day, turn the engine off and then try again the light wont go off for like the rest of the day.

If i reset it by disconnecting the battery the light would probably go off and again no error would be shown i think. I mean what is the point in trying to read abs fault codes if the abs lamp is off. But i think ill give it a shot.