ABS problem, ABS and VSA lights on

goldeen

Resetting it wont necessarily put the abs light off mate, but what it will hopefully do is allow you to get the code as it aint letting you at the moment. 

I know both these faults are to do with the brakes, but id be inclined to treat them as two separate faults. Might make tracing the problem easier.

First i want to thank you for your time, good sir!

I just did a reset on the ECU according to the DIY tutorial and absolutely nothing changed. The routine was the exact same as every other day. Started up the car in the morning, NO lights were on ( as usual ), arrived to work, turned the engine off and on check the ABS and VSA stayed on.

Took out the key and unplugged the 2 fuses for the ECU and the backup on, waited for 10 minutes straight, then installed them back on, started the engine and waited for another 10 minutes straight on idle without pressing any pedals, after that i turned the engine off again for 2 minutes and noticed the ABS and VSA lights had not gone off (the clock and the radio settings have all gone to "factory"). When i tried to read the fault codes again nothing happened, the lights remained that way without any blinking whatsoever.

It's overly frustrating!

No problem at all mate, that's what we're here for. Really thought the reset would have let you get the codes mate. Its a really strange fault and not one we've come across before. I can't think of any other way to get to the bottom of the abs problem, unless any other members have any ideas? Not sure if a failed abs ring would maybe throw this fault, possibly shorting out the abs system? Not sure as ive only ever had abs sensors failing before.

Last resort will be to take it into honda and see if they can find the fault, although they'll probably charge a lot so bear that in mind.

Thank you very much.

I have an idea. Let's look at it from other perspective, as in looking at the problem without the option of the car telling us what the fault is. Let's analyze.

1. In the morning (after 10-12 hours of rest) the error seems to gone. (every morning)

2. After 9-12 minutes of driving the ABS AND the VSA lights come on simultaneously after the engine is shut down or in motion.

3. After 9 hours of rest (while i am at work) i start the engine and the lights are STILL ON!

4. When the ABS light is OFF the ABS works, when the light is ON the ABS doesn't work. ( so the system sees something wrong and shuts the ABS off )

5. No problems in the grounds or 12v pins of the ABS plug.

6. No problems in the fuses.

How is it possible for 10-12 hours of rest (AT NIGHT) the error to clear itself but for like 9 hours (while i am at work) NOT ?

I was thinking could it be something like over heating in the ABS module. But if that would be the case how come it doesn't cool down for 9 hours ? ( maybe it doesn't have time to clear the error up)

The other thing is ... is there a possibility that there is some kind of a fault that is just excluded from the ABS fault list and that's why it cannot be shown ?