Wolfmother

Cracked seatbelt buckles

Question

Wolfmother    12

I noticed shortly after my last MOT that the plastic part of my front seat belt buckles had cracked, I have no idea if they were like this before the test or not, I assumed this would cause the car to fail anyway?

Bought some more off eBay and they are also both cracked in exactly the same place!

Just one of those things?

MOT failure?

Common fault?

Fire away with opinions / advice.

IMG_20170905_111702_1.jpg

6 answers to this question

Dave    2,266

Never had that happen to any of the Civic M's I've had mate and I've had three. Only thing I can think of is maybe they've been shut in the door in the past by mistake? Do they wind back in easily or do they need a bit of assistance?

Don't think it would be an mot fail as the plastic part is basically just for comfort/asthetics.

Wolfmother    12

Hi Dave, sounds like a good cause although the belts retract like new, the car only had 29K on it when I bought it last year so they ping back like rubber bands.

Take it the metal runs around the entire buckle which is then covered by the plastic?

dmrichards    57

my passenger seat belt has cracked too havnt checked any or the others so there could be more. can just the clips be changed or is it a whole new seat belt?

Wolfmother    12

Don't know haven't bothered sorting it yet as the replacement clips I bought were also cracked.

Might not even need to change them. I'll just leave it and if it fails the next MOT I'll update this thread.

37 minutes ago, dmrichards said:

my passenger seat belt has cracked too havnt checked any or the others so there could be more. can just the clips be changed or is it a whole new seat belt?

Wolfmother    12

To be honest I think it really doesn't matter if the plastic is damaged, like Dave said, it's for comfort/looks more than anything. 

As long as the metal itself is intact then you're all goodB)

dr_broon    1,165

My passenger one has been like that for a long time. No idea how it happened. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.