Should i buy this civic?

Adamerus

Question

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. I always wanted civic 6, and becouse i got car license a year ago and my brother is selling MB3, i would really want to buy it from him for really low price. However i dont know if i should buy it. It is kinda rusted, but only near rear wheels (dont know the word lol). So it would need a bit of welding. Also it has been sitting in garage for about 2 years. It has 150 000 km and was completelly fine when he stopped using it. Occasionally he drove it around a bit... before month was the last time. All i worry about is rust, oil consumption  (shouldnt be a problem - but what do i know) and that it has been standing for such a long time. I could fix rust, but i dont know if it's worth it (will it spread again soon?).  It needs new exhaust, ceiling, repair rust, painting some parts, fixing scratchs on doors (some asshole with keys) and ensurance etc..  Oh yeah and price will be around 780 € with new tyres, ensurance, ceiling, repaired rust, exhaust (basically all known issues + preventing rust). Price might be lower becouse he didnt say price yet and i didnt made my mind. So i would really appreciate your help and opinions. :) Hope this forum isnt dead yet.

Here are some images. (Its only dusty and bumpers are disconnected - hope they are fine lol)

https://adamerus.rajce.idnes.cz/Honda_Civic_1.5i_84kw_1997/

4 answers to this question

Hmm, as much as I hate seeing a civic being broken/scrapped, I'm just not sure its worth repairing mate. The rust being the issue. Its needing a fair bit of welding, plus looks as though there are already areas that have been filled with body filler, so probably more rust just waiting to break through there too.

If the car has sentimental value to you then yes its worth it. But if its just to fix up and drive and not modify/restore, then you probably won't get back the money you spend on the work to fix it when you come to sell it. There are lots of nice condition 1.4's and 1.5's out there for sale at cheap prices with low miles, so probably better spending your cash on one of those.

• Like 1

Nah it is not repaired with body filler yet. There were little dents that were fixed with filler, that's all. Well... we want to weld it somehow like this http://www.honda-club.cz/forum/files/p3310601_194.jpg

It is rusted only there.

As I said .. I always wanted civic because of its reliability, kw, fuel consumption, looks etc. I would take care of him, repair it properly, get rid of any rust and maybe modify it, but I don't know if its worth it :/.

Yeah, that was another thing I'm scared of... I would want to sell it someday for sure, but I'm sceptical about the price that ill sell it. As you said, potentially won't get the money back.

About other civics... In our country, in this price range, there aren't any civic in this condition except slower ones that I don't want. It is win or lose. For instance here is this one, but it is in worse condition than ours civ. https://auto.bazos.cz/inzerat/83331262/Honda-civic-6g-4DEK3-sedan-15-Vtec-E-84kw.php

But i came across this focus which seems to be looking good at 970 € https://auto.bazos.cz/inzerat/83215314/Ford-focus-16i-74kW.php

and there are plenty of those so i don't really know what's the best buy for my money.

If you have a welder and a garage to do the repairs in then it may be worth it if similar civic are going for the same money. The focus looks clean and tidy, but if its a civic you want the focus won't cut it.

You can still buy repair panels for them (sills, arches etc) and if they aren't listed look for rover 400 as they're usually listed.

• Like 1