central locking ghost

Anthony

Question

hey everyone,

my civic has started to lock/unlock itself , it has been standing for about a month due to me having a broken ankle, i kept her started every few days but i took her out for the first time yesterday and about 20 mins into the drive it just started to lock unlock, even when the ignition is off........ive had to remove battery to stop it....any thought where to start?

any help would be great

ps....its not remote locking...its just key 

7 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

OK seems to have stopped now, I'll pop out every hour or so and see his it goes, thanks Dave 

No probs mate. A battery that's needing a good charge can also cause this. ;)

Its fair to say your idea is right, after all it was only started about once a week for 5 minutes, it has been better since, once or twice since this morning, I'll see how it goes once I start to run the car more frequently , always get good advice here ! 

• Like 1

Yes mate, starting it for just 5 mins at a time will actually drain the battery rather than charge it. Starting a car up is the biggest strain a battery gets, and it takes on average 7 miles or more of driving to put back the charge that was lost during start up.  Might be worth letting it run for say 15 - 20 mins after starting it, that way the charge is replaced and the engines been able to get up to normal running temp too so keeps thermostat working as well. ;)