Ashley meekings

Aerodeck mc2 vti drifting in Lane!

Question

Hi all, again I'm normally good at problem solving on cars as qualified mechanic myself. 

My aerodeck has been neglected for a while as had career change an it's took me while to get onto better money so has a few issues I'm slowly sorting

I had two new front tyres an tracking done. Now when cruising sort of 50mph upwards in 5th gear on the dually. If I slowly press the throttle, but making sure the steering is straight, the car effectively crabs over to the right of the lane, not I'm a dangerous snatchy way, but a smooth but definatele glide straight over, an when I let off the throttle it them returns to the left of the lane. 

The cars issues which could be related are as follows 

Both track rod ends worn but not split, I have 1 lower ball joint worn but not split

Both upper ball joints need replacing 

And I have a split drive shaft oil seal due to recent clutch change. 

My front pads are pretty much finished, have ordered more but they may be shifting. Could any of those issues be causing the car to drift/glide like 4 or 5 foot to the right an left when the steering is dead straight? Scratching my head 

• Like 1

18 answers to this question

Are your tyres matching brands?

I would look at getting your list above sorted as well then a four wheel aligment again to make sure she's running straight and true.

• Like 2

Not all around,  the front match an so do the rear but fronts are different to the back but very similar 

An that's next on the list 

As long as they match on the same axel you should be okay. You could swap the fronts to the back to see if it changes anything but I'm not sure it would.

Check that the pressures are both okay... I've had this before and thought that there was something wrong but was just pressures.

Seems to affect some tyres more than others... My winter tyres don't do it and their pressures can be all over the place sometimes due to being in my old standard rims. 

My car used to behave in a similar fashion........my bottom balljoints were the offenders.

In your case it's tricky because you mentioned you have several worn steering components.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

P.S.  beats me how the tyre fitter managed to track such a car....lol

Tyre fitter said they're was no movement or play in anything so tracking was fine, that's why he can't understand the gliding over, but will get stuff replaced an get the rear alignment checked too 

@noodels they're okay I've seen alot worse, they're in tact an @UnicyclingTom I have been thinking lsd. It's abit funny sometimes accelerating out of a corner. But I have a damaged drive shaft oil seal cause of a recent clutch change, could this affect it? 

Probably not in that way but if the seal is damaged I'd be looking at getting it changed for piece of mind anyway.

There's a method to check the lsd in the service  manual - something like jack the front of the car up, and with the engine off and the car in gear (first?)  rotate one wheel by hand, and the other should turn the opposite way. Be worth double checking that I've got that all right, but from memory it's something along those lines. 

Just now, Ashley meekings said:

@dr_broon I'll try that thank you! 

No worries - have you got the manual from the downloads section to check against? 

Just another point. I had a pair of cheapo matching brand tyres on the front of my mc2. Even after wheel alignment it would pull. Swapped front to back and I now have 2 old Michelins on the front and the problem has gone away... different quality between 2 tyres of the same brand may be a cause.

On 12/02/2018 at 11:56 AM, dave79 said:

Just another point. I had a pair of cheapo matching brand tyres on the front of my mc2. Even after wheel alignment it would pull. Swapped front to back and I now have 2 old Michelins on the front and the problem has gone away... different quality between 2 tyres of the same brand may be a cause.

Definitely. 

My MC2 definitely drove better with better tyres than budgets, but even the budgets were better than Nankangs. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.