Head unit nightmare

TJMB4

Question

Yeah,

It's the newbie again ... (sorry) I'm having real issues with my new headunit install. The wires are confusing me, no manual/website matches the colours in my car's loom. It has 13 wire and they are as follows.

White

Red x 2

Blue

Red/Yellow

Yellow/Red

Yellow/White

Black

Brown/Black

Blue/Green

Brown/Grey

Black/Brown

Grey/Black

If anyone has idea's or knows which is which I will be forever Greatful!!!!!!!

Thanks

(i'll stop asking for a few months now) :)

• Like 1

I've got a haynes manual in the garage mate but won't be able to get to it until Sunday afternoon. Can see what's in there. Does the downloadable service manual we have here in the forum not have the wiring diagrams in it?

If you get the harness adapter from halfords it should all be plug and play mate, unless it's already had it's wiring plugs cut off?

Nah the old one that was in it I still have. I just have no idea what wire is what with it. Head unit has it's own wires also with diagram on it. Just really confused by it to be honest buddy ... I will check the downloadable manual from here. See if that helps too. 

Just saw your link to the head unit in the other topic mate. Can see the problem you're having now. The new head unit witing doesn't actually have a socket on the end, just bare wires which is really unusual nowadays. Unless you cut the plug off your exisiting wiring in the car (which I really wouldn't recommend) and hard wire it it will mean buying an wiring harness adapter for the civic and then unless your good with soldering, cutting the end that goes to the stereo off and hard wiring that to the harness. This will mean you don't have to cut the plug off the cars wiring. Probably the best option I think, as if you come to sell the car you can then just plug the original head unit back in, no messy wiring left. If we can get the wiring codes, it's not that hard to wire up. Deffo buy a wiring harness adapter though!

I do have an adaptor buddy... from the last unit. It just didn't fit th3 new one. I was hoping to take the wires out of the last units adapter and wire up the new wires that came with the new unit. All I need to know is what wire is what in the main loom :) the one with the blue connector then I can trace the wires up to the new units connector :) all colours on that loom are the ones listed ^_^

Ah, ok that shouldn't be a problem then. Did you say the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual didn't correspond to the wiring in your civic (in the other topic)? Make sure you check what diagram the manual is showing because from what I can remember there are differences between models/years in the manual. Make sure the diagram your looking at is for the correct model or year. The colours of the cars wires won't match those of the head unit as wiring colours have changed a lot since our cars were made, but once the cars wiring has been established it'll be easy to wire up. I'll see what I can find just now in our service manual.

Thanks man. Worth a shot. A couple colours match but not all. Are there different haynes then? Didn't think of that. But yeah once we know what's what it'll be a doddle to connect up ^_^ appreciate you helping me. 

• Like 1

no probs at all mate. There is one Haynes manual for the civic M's which covers all models from 1995 (pre-facelift) to 2000. The wiring in the pre-facelift is slightly different to the facelift models. I'm sure in my Haynes book there were a few different diagrams covering the radio side of things, and it should state what year or model the wiring refers to. I've got the manual in my garage but i'm away until Sunday. If you can hang off till then I'll dig it outr and have a look through. Can take a picture of them and upload them here for you.

Just now, TJMB4 said:

Yes mate that's perfectly fine with me ^_^ I will have another look in case I'm looking at the wrong diagram. 

No worries. You'll love the difference the new head unit makes to the sound quality, although it'll really make you want ot change the rear speakers as they are totally crap and really weak! Hard to get decent speakers to fit the actual rear speaker enclosure though so some folk just opt to drop them into the rear parcel shelf. That way you can have any size in there. My first Civic M (1996 MA8) came with no rear speakers, so at first I got some original speakers from a breakers and fitted them, then found out how poor they were!! lol I couldn't get decent ones small enough to fit where the originals were, but made up some adapters that fitted to the original rear speaker grills that then allowed me to fit slightly larger ones which sounded better. To be honest though, the place where they are fitted as standard is bad, so I'd probably just fit them in the shelf.