Intermittent Spluttering / loss of power MC2 Aerodeck

frunkster

Hello all, I hope someone can help me.

Have had this ongoing intermittent problem for over a year & it's getting worse / more frequent, I have had several mechanics have a look & no one has been able to lock down exactly what the issue is as it could be so many things,but hoping someone else on here may do.

Usually it starts spluttering loosing power mid revs but has done in all rev ranges over time, now I get most times when I re fill the tank (but not always) which makes me think it's a fuel issue (injectors partially blocked etc) but have been told it could well be the distributor.

It tends to go if you change gear & sometimes also clears when you give it some welly, but not always, tends to only last a few miles & then drives normal, but it's been becoming very frequent to the point of most times it's driven, so i really want to tackle the issue before it leaves me stranded.

Things checked

Lambda has been checked, not prefect put working within acceptable tolerances

O2 sensor was checked & seemed to be working fine

HT leads been out one by one at night on the engine to check for one arching

New fuel filter fitted.

Iridium spark plugs fitted 

I just don't want to spend a fortune on this that & the other in the elimination process if I can help it as I am on quite a low budget being no longer capable of work due to injuries from an RTA, but I love this car & want to keep it in good order mechanical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

kinda sounds like a misfire under load, take the dizzy cap off and see what that looks like inside. I was planning on replacing the cap and rota arm on mine because I wouldn't be surprised if it's the original and is bound to be worn

I had similar problems with my O2 sensor... Got progressively worse and started happening more when there was a lot of standing water - never threw any faults though. Swapping it sorted it out. 

• 7 months later...

Hello guys, I have to make a huge & sincere apology, I have not been back on to respond to the topic due to some serious health issues that had me thinking about other things than cars for several month, very very sorry about not getting back sooner, as I always reply to my posts on any forum, I hope you can forgive my tardiness.

I really do appreciate the input & will be looking at getting a replacement O2 sensor sorted asap, as the standing water bit sounds like the same issue dr broon ;) fingers crossed that'll sort the old girl out, just had all the underside welded & reinforced, so she should keep on going for a good few more years =) 

• Like 3

Hope you're doing better now bud. :)

Hopefully it does sort it, it's an irritating issue. I ended up taking mine to an exhaust place to get it fitted as my usual mechanic couldn't get the old one shifted. 

• Like 1

Good to hear your health has improved Frunkster applause.gif1......once you  fit the new sensor your car should be back to full health. (I too had similar symptoms until I replaced the o2 sensor).

I used the Motability scheme for 21 years but decided against new cars seeing as I only clock up 20/30 miles p.w.

I replaced a beautiful new car for what can only be described as a bullet proof car (X reg Civic).....it has never let me down over 4 years.

Good luck with your health and car.

• Like 2

No need to apologize mate, we've all been there (me included! Had a heart attack last week!) so health takes priority over everything.

Hope you get it sorted soon, but if it turns out not to be the 02 sensor it could well be the ignitor in the distributor. Do you get the engine management light coming on when the fault happens?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words guys, you are a caring bunch on here which is a refreshing change =)

Well plans scuppered for another day, the pipe from the power steering top up tank just sprung a leak yesterday, so the funds have been diverted to that 1st, also a bush at the back needs replacing, can't grumble the good old girl never lets me down mechanically & luckily I also have the 1.5 aerodeck as an emergency back up.

I had been suggested I replace the dizzy, but had a sneaking suspicion it was not that, so the O2 sensor will get done 1st,if the problem persists it'll be the dizy thats next on the cards.

Not got the engine management light coming on when I get the problem BTW.

Bloody hell a heart attack just last week,I hope you are taking it easy Dave.

I'd not want a new car myself TBH Gel, I would not change the VTI for anything even if I had money to throw at vehicles endlessly, if that were the case I'd get this on stripped to the bear bones & rebuilt from scratch, well maybe with the addition of a P30 & a little toying with the power lol, but I have a bike if I feel like going a little crazy, not that I do that often now I'm getting on a bit.

Will get this bush & power steering pipe sorted & then the o2 sensor will be getting sorted.

I'll report back when done to confirm if it's sorted the issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, frunkster said:

Thanks for all the kind words guys, you are a caring bunch on here which is a refreshing change =)

Thats what Civic5 was all about right from the start mate, and what makes us a bit different to most other car forums/FB groups. seeya.gif1 Always someone happy to help here.

If the EM light didn't come on, then possibly not the ignitor then (which is lucky as that part was I think £300 from Honda last time I got one which was around 6, maybe 7 years ago). Not even sure Honda still stock them and the aftermarket ones fail big time. I bought two, both left me stranded byt the side of the road within 1 week of driving, hence had to bite the bullet and buy genuine Honda part. But as said, if the EML doesn't come on during the fault, then that should rule that out. Dodged a bullet there! lol :ohyeees:

• Like 1