Hi I'm just wondering if anybody here has experience with fitting the OEM/standard Mb's spoiler onto one that originally didn't have one? Mb2/4 etc 

Got a spoiler with brake light wiring all complete etc and I'm wondering how to go about it or to bother at all. 

- Any tips for drilling screw holes in the boot lid for the spoiler? This is what's making me not want to do it to be honest. Scared I'll mess it up. Need the bolts too. 

- Is there anywhere for the brake light wiring to plug into on the MB2's? I've taken the boot interior out and looked and can't see where it would go to. 

Any tips/pictures etc would help too.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Fitting these is dead easy mate! For the 5 door hatchbacks (not aerodecks unfortunately) Honda has marked exactly where to drill the holes on the tailgate. If you take off the trim cover on the inside of the tailgate, you'll see the "dimples" where the holes for the spoiler should go. On my MA8, took us I think 30 mins tops to fit the spoiler. That was taking things slow as hadn't fitted one before, and also making up new rubber gaskets for the spoiler to sit on. We also put some black silicon sealer around the bolt holes before final fitting just to properly seal it.

The hardest part from what I can remember was routing the brake light cable, we used the metal "whip" from an old cb ariel, taped the wires to it and fed it through the tailgate. We bit fiddly but all in a really easy to fit spoiler mate.

Just noticed you said you need the bolts too? The bolts (studs) should be already fitted to the spoiler. If it's the nuts that are missing, i think they were 10mm.

Thanks for the reply! Some good info there which I'll use. 

I can see the dimples that have to be drilled through, guessing they're about 10mm or so? On the spoiler I have there's also a red guiding peg on one side and on the other side is where the wires come out, so 3 holes will have to be drilled at each side?

I think I can guess where the wires have to go through now then, but where is the point where they plug in? Or did you cut into the existing wiring somehow? (Imagine it would be fiddly) 

Yeah the guy I got the spoiler off was local and forgot the bolts. I have a couple of bolts from a spoiler I got off eBay but that whole thing was a mess. Probably get some new. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, AJCivic said:

Thanks for the reply! Some good info there which I'll use. 

I can see the dimples that have to be drilled through, guessing they're about 10mm or so? On the spoiler I have there's also a red guiding peg on one side and on the other side is where the wires come out, so 3 holes will have to be drilled at each side?

I think I can guess where the wires have to go through now then, but where is the point where they plug in? Or did you cut into the existing wiring somehow? (Imagine it would be fiddly) 

Yeah the guy I got the spoiler off was local and forgot the bolts. I have a couple of bolts from a spoiler I got off eBay but that whole thing was a mess. Probably get some new. 

Try it on say a 8 or 9mm drill bit (although use a smaller drill to do pilot holes first) as I think the nuts themselves were 10mm. I don't remember mine having locating pins although they may have been cut off before I bought it.

For the wiring, if you look at the top right side (i think) of the tailgate near the hinge you'll see where the wiring comes out and goes into the main bodyshell of the car. I removed the rubber casing the wires are in and pulled the wires out slightly so I could get at them. This is also where I put that metal ariel thing in and fed it down towards the spoiler. If I remember rightly, it went down the left side of the tailgate as the wiring from the spoiler is on the left side? Nowhere to plug them in so you'll need to splice them into the wiring I was on about earlier, solder them and heatshrink on them to make safe. Sounds difficult but it's just fiddly mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Another spoiler related question:

I saw an Mb2/3 in the scrappy with the spoiler missing but the screws/bolts were still there, I couldn't seem to get them out the boot lid though, they seemed stuck like there's a washer both sides.

Just to confirm, if I gave them a couple good turns with a spanner/knock them through would they come out or is there a weird way to do it? Not sure if I'm just being a tool.