Good afternoon to all,

My name is Samuel , I am a dutch automotive student that studies Automotive Engineering. I've recently bought a bargian if i may say so. 

Thanks to Twan who is also a Aerodeck owner here i bought it. 

Hereby i introduce to you my 1999 Civic Aerodeck 1.5 V-tec-E. for 300 Euro. This car is only Honda Dealer Serviced so no third party's had touch this car for repairs and service. It has a fully new APK ( A yearly check up). 

And i know you guys will think, why is it so cheap. Well...... It has a cooling issue which i cannot source the problem. I thought of a air bleeding issue in de cooling system. It overheated when a have exited the runway so no Wind that cools the liquid. The fan works totally fine. So the only thing that i have concluded is that it has a bad gasket leak. 

So i will repair that in a couple of weeks, this and ofcourse some new fluids. new oil, new clutch and new sparkplugs while i am at it.

But hereby i will end with some pictures.( It is quite dirty because did not had time to wash it good ! )105970894_WhatsAppImage2018-06-08at14_50.55(1).jpeg.8b948789d406f43e6a62096fa4ad1a15.jpeg353131123_WhatsAppImage2018-06-08at14_50_55.jpeg.631c747e60b2a51a3957cd0a0b965878.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to Civic5 mate. Looks a good base to start with, and the D1.5's are a great engine. Regarding the overheating issue, when you say gasket leak do you mean "head gasket"? If so then this will be your cause of overheating. If it is this, you'll possibly need the head skimmed during fitting of the replacement gasket.

If not then first place to look is the thermostat. These are easy to replace (and cheap) and after replaced, make sure all air is out of the cooling system. We have a "How to" in the tech section on this.8-)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one mate, enjoy the club and forum.

Absolutely Twan,

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yeah i meant the head gasket. for the skimming part i need to look at the head itself. Because the head gasket leak is a veryvery tiny one.

It doesn't smoke at the exhaust, it doesn't has the Sludge on the oilcap. It doesn't really smell like Cooling Liquid out the exhaust.

So maybe i am in time for just replacing the head gasket. 

The only thing i can see that could be te sign( My final Conclusion), is when the radiator cap is off. And i start the engine.When the engine is cold i cannot see of hear any leaks,

also i can't see any bubbles that can appear because of the compression stroke of the engine. The only time i see the bubbles (Very little ones) appear , is when the engine is at operating temperature when i rev the engine up at that moment there will appear tiny airbubbles.

I've checked the thermostat but that is working just fine so that's not it.

Welcome Samuel! I had an overheating issue with my deck (B18 though) some years back and got it cured by replacing the radiator, even though the old one showed no external signs of damage. Hope you get the issue sorted out.

Running hot at Motorway speeds suggests a blocked radiator,  you've already dismissed the thermostat so you could try back flushing the radiator to see if efficiency improves.

You can easily rule out cylinder head gasket pending failure by having the fumes from your hot radiator analysed.

Good luck

Well, on the motorway there is no overheating issue. The problem is when i exit the motorway and drive through the city with traffic lights. It's like that the fan doesn't work. but i  already checked and that works fine. 

Yesterday i drove for like 30 min. And there was no overheating issue. Only in the expansion canistor of the radiator. You can hear a blubbling sound when you shut the car off. Also i can feel a very strong pressure in the expansion canister and when i opened it, the fluid was raised to 4 or 5 cm above maximum ( Cold engine its 1 cm above minimum) 

the only thing i can think of is that the pressure of the compression stroke of the engine is pushing through  a tiny tiny hole in the headgasket which lead to the cool channels. Which gives a pressure in the system ( That explains the amount of little bubbles, when i rev the engine, in the radiator.). 

i've just ordered a head gasket leak tester to just make sure it is in fact the head gasket. But if not, maybe the waterpump ?

There is alot of stuff coming in this week so my house will be full of service parts. So i have enough to do in my free time. 

My money is still on the radiator being the problem......your gas tester will tell a multitude.

Yes, a faulty pump impellor could give the symptoms you describe but I recommend you remove the radiator and flush it through before you start throwing money at a problem that may not exist.

Like already mentioned you may have air in the system......Civics are notoriously difficult to bleed so it's advisable to have a look at the guide for getting all air out of the system.

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon boys,

I finally got around and swap a other 1.5 vtec-e engine in my aerodeck. But the issue i am having now is when i check the dipstick after each week. The dipstick from the oil is far below minimum so i need to top it of. My oil warning on the dash dont come on, strangly enough. So the oil is gone? The car doesn't smoke doesn't smell oil. Doesn't sound like it is dry. But is this normal? Or is it really using oil without symptons showing .

I like to hear some possibilities

Thanks

Does sound strange that it is constantly going low on the dipstick. Check the sump as these do tend to become corroded now due to the age of our civics. Look for signs of oil on the driveway or where you park. If no signs, then the oil has to be going somewhere. The B series engines do use oil sometimes, but the D series are generally fine although the mileage the engine has done is obviously a factor. If high mileage, then it could be burning oil due to wear.

Does the oil light come on when you turn the ignition on, then go off as normal? Just checking the oil light is working. The amount of oil it is going through is a worry though.