Dexter

I've also had issues with emissions. This time it was broken distributor cap but there has been problems earlier too. Cat has been changed once. If anyone is having oil leak/consumption issues then it could be worth to change VTEC solenoid gaskets, all of them. Especially the big one with the filter gets bad in a long period of time. I've been wondering if aftermarket exhausts and manifolds can affect emissions? Stock ECU may not be able to handle it? Can't cope with the flow change etc.? Increased heat in the engine bay with aftermarket manifolds? Stock ones have heat shields and all that...

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, MBFinlay said:

I've been wondering if aftermarket exhausts and manifolds can affect emissions? Stock ECU may not be able to handle it? Can't cope with the flow change etc.? Increased heat in the engine bay with aftermarket manifolds? Stock ones have heat shields and all that...

That's a really good point mate. Think the free-er flowing exahusts will deffo raise emissions due there being an increase in the fuel being delivered. The cat plays a big part, as do the 02 sensor/egr valve. Either of those can dramatically increase the emissions.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

That's a really good point mate. Think the free-er flowing exahusts will deffo raise emissions due there being an increase in the fuel being delivered. The cat plays a big part, as do the 02 sensor/egr valve. Either of those can dramatically increase the emissions.

Nah. The oxygen sensor is after the manifold and before the cat. So the o2 sensor feeds back info about output after the manifold and therefore whatever goes into the cat, the ecu/o2 sensor doesn't care/monitor.

This is unlike later cars that measure the output coming out of the cat and compare the output prior to and after the cat, and may adjust the mix accordingly. 

In my case, changing out the oem cat for a total new exhaust system front to back made b****r all difference. 

• Sad 1