Front Passenger Door "Clicking" Noise

Rissy

Question

I have a bizarre clicking noise coming from what i think i hear, is roughly around the front edge of the front passenger door on my car.  It's a hard noise to describe, but it's random, but continual while the car is moving, especially under acceleration and braking, or bumps in the road.  It's almost like a joint has come loose or something.  I've pulled the door apart and assessed everything, and chekced everything is tight.  If it's not coming from the door, then i can only consider it might be coming from behind the front wing.  Has anyone else ever had this, and been able to source it at all?  Is there a known something which occurs with time with these cars which might cause what i'm experiencing?

If you have the under seat tray on passenger seat, this can sometimes rattle which might give a similar sound. Deffo not a common fault so you may need to either get someone to drive while you try and investigate where it's coming for or get a passenger to investigate while you drive.

Is it a proper "click" that has a constant rythmn? Like a relay? Or just a random click sound?

Hi there, and thanks for the feedback.  The noise is definitely not the seatbelt buckle knocking on the column or anything else (Although this is an interesting consideration).

Also, i DO have the under-seat tray on the passenger side.  I'll try taking that out from under the seat on my way home tonight to check and make sure it's not that, but i suspect it isn't.

The noise i'm suffering is a random clicking noise, which sounds like a loose fixture of some sort, and *seems* to be emanating from the door hinge sort of area of the front passenger side door. If i can, i may take a video of it, and let you hear it for yourselves.  It's REALLY annoying!

That's bizarre! Not really sure mate, glove box lid maybe? Try folding some tissue into a kind of wedge, and place it between dash and glovebox lid, then close the glovebox. The tissue/padding should be thick enough to make it really tight to close the glovebox.

Also check the cooler stay (the little metal bar that stops door being opened too far. I've had noise from those before. Other than that, it's a process of elimination mate I'm afraid.

Oh, also try putting the window down a little, maybe 20mm then go for a drive and see if the noise is still there. The window mechanism/window channel can also cause intermittent sounds like that. Another one I've experienced!

Is the dash/centre console all screwed in tight? Probably not the case but mine was making a lot of vibration noise/tapping and I tightened all the screws behind the fog light switch, in the cubby hole under the ashtray etc and it sorted it. 

As was stated in the video description, i can practically stop this clicking noise by pulling on the inner handle on the door as i drive, or by rolling the window down by 1cm or so.  As you've suggested, this *could* be a window channel noise, but i find it odd that i can stop the noise by also pulling on the inner door handle!?  I've literally had the door in bits and have looked over everything inside the door and everything seems tight.  The window channel itself doesn't have any means of being tightened up that i can find?  the fact that i can silence the noise by doing one of these two things satisfies me that the noise cannot be coming from anywhere else but inside the door.  Any other ideas?

If you look inside the door again, youll see the bolts that hold the window in place on the chanels. Cant remember if you can adjust these so the wondow is maybe tighter when fully closed? Theres also a bolt there for the rear window channel that allows very slight adjustment of it. Its near the to of the door, on the side thats closest the rear of the car. The noise stopping when pulling the handle suggests that the force of pulling is tightening up the channel, which is removing the play which is causing the rattle.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that.  I'll take a look at my soonest opportunity.  I may not have been rigorous enough at investigating - probably due to the extremely sticky glue stuff which holds the splash membrane in place behind the door card.  That stuff is horrible!  I'll just have to bite the bullet and rip away more of it and take a proper look at the window channel runner assembly inside.  I'll let you know how i get on.

• Like 1