Front Passenger Door "Clicking" Noise

Rissy

Question

I have a bizarre clicking noise coming from what i think i hear, is roughly around the front edge of the front passenger door on my car.  It's a hard noise to describe, but it's random, but continual while the car is moving, especially under acceleration and braking, or bumps in the road.  It's almost like a joint has come loose or something.  I've pulled the door apart and assessed everything, and chekced everything is tight.  If it's not coming from the door, then i can only consider it might be coming from behind the front wing.  Has anyone else ever had this, and been able to source it at all?  Is there a known something which occurs with time with these cars which might cause what i'm experiencing?

Right, so i was looking at this issue again over the past few days.  I tried two things, which i've touched on in th video linked below.  Neither were successful.  The video below explains my third attempt thing to pay attention to.  My first test drive since putting the door back together was this morning on the way to work.  The result of the video solution is that the noise has been improved upon, but still exists.  I *think* i've got the right thing to keep giving attention now.  I think i'll wad some electrical tap around some of the metal parts to hold them still even more, and hope that fully fixes the noise.  Until then, here's something else to enjoy.  I talk in this one! LOL!

https://youtu.be/eBawKbvtYcE

So it was the door stay! Mine was at the end the pin goes through, seemed to be a bit of play in it which caused the clicking/rattle. Just noticed in my previous post the bloody predictive text change the word to "cooler"!

Good wee video mate and glad you got it fixed. Bit surprised when I heard the Scottish accent! Didn't know you were a fellow Scot! Lol

8 hours ago, Dave said:

So it was the door stay! Mine was at the end the pin goes through, seemed to be a bit of play in it which caused the clicking/rattle. Just noticed in my previous post the bloody predictive text change the word to "cooler"!

Good wee video mate and glad you got it fixed. Bit surprised when I heard the Scottish accent! Didn't know you were a fellow Scot! Lol

Unfortunately not the stay.  I think i've angered whatever it is that's doing it, because its now even worse than ever.  I'm now suspecting its the runner mechanism where there must be some sort of rollers or something which run along the horizontal bar for winding the window up and down.  But as said before, to get into all that properly means de-gooing the entire door for proper access.  A horrible job by anyone's standards.  I just hadn't followed up because i've been up to my eyes with other car problems with my other cars, and i wasn't sure anyone was still following or not.

I am indeed Scottish.  From Edinburgh, like yourself.  I moved to Rugby in 2004 for work purposes and been based here ever since.  My Civic used to live in Edinburgh too, and she does make it up every so often, but not as much since she's becoming an old girl now, and more demanding for attention, so although i'm sure I could make the long journey in her ok, i don't like to push her too much.  14+ yrs i've owned this car for now.  Still all stock and original. 127,000 miles on the clock and counting.  I'm sure if it wasn't for me, she would have been scrapped a long time ago!

Anyway, when i get around to it, i'll get into that runner and report back.  Watch this space.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Rissy, might be wise to have a good inspection of the underside of your car......rust or a fracture could give similar symptoms.

Good luck with finding the irritating noise :unsure:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rissy said:

14+ yrs i've owned this car for now.  Still all stock and original. 127,000 miles on the clock and counting.  I'm sure if it wasn't for me, she would have been scrapped a long time ago.

That's dedication! Think we've had the deck for about the same number of years too. Love having a car that long as you really get to know them inside out, and know it's history. DD had two previous owners which were husband then wife (so technically only really one owner) when we got her and since then my late wife then me. So know everything about her. Nice to see someone else owning one of these civics for so long too!

Really hope you get to the bottom of that blooming noise mate!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gel said:

Hi and welcome Rissy, might be wise to have a good inspection of the underside of your car......rust or a fracture could give similar symptoms.

Good luck with finding the irritating noise :unsure:

Thanks for that.  I'm under the car fairly regularly, and can be sure that the chassis is fine.  This noise is definitely coming from the door.  Rolling down the window by a smidge, stops the clicking, so it has to be something to do with the window runner mechanism.  I've pretty much exhausted looking at everything around it now.

On 7/25/2018 at 5:49 PM, Dave said:

Love having a car that long as you really get to know them inside out, and know it's history.

This is certainly true.  I know my civic like the back of my hand.  I've done so much to it over the years, including 5yrs ago i stripped down and rebuilt the gearbox after replacing a couple of bearings inside.  I love/hate the car these days.  love it because it's just been with me forever, but hate it because it's getting old and starting to show its age, and starting to give me more jip as a result (latest clicking noise as an example) and i feel betrayed a little after all the hard work, dedication and effort i've put in to keep the old girl going.  She's never wanted for anything in 14.5yrs!

Such great cars these, they really are.  Reliable, comfortable, pretty easy to work on, easily modifiable (if you're into that sort of thing).  I don't think they have been given the recognition they deserve, and with dwindling numbers these days, mostly i'd say due to cannibalism for their engines, i feel somewhat obligated/privileged to be a continuing custodian of one.  One of these days, they will be a rare sight at any car show for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rissy said:

Such great cars these, they really are.  Reliable, comfortable, pretty easy to work on, easily modifiable (if you're into that sort of thing).  I don't think they have been given the recognition they deserve, and with dwindling numbers these days, mostly i'd say due to cannibalism for their engines, i feel somewhat obligated/privileged to be a continuing custodian of one.  One of these days, they will be a rare sight at any car show for sure.

That man speaks the truth! Totally agree mate, these Civics have never been given the recognition they deserve (one of the main reasons civic5 was formed!), always dissed by the "that's not a real Honda" brigade, who are usually driving their pure JDM Civic ej (that was built in Swindon too!). Don't get me wrong, I love the whole JDM scene and the cars that are in it (don't agree for the overinflated prices for anything that is even remotely JDM though!), but at the same time I wouldn't diss other Honda's just because they aren't made in Japan.

It is really sad the amount of immaculate MB6's/MC2's (which are already getting really hard to find) that are scrapped by the very same people above just to get their engines. Funny thing is, you put an mb6 next to an ek4 and say it's every bit as good as an ek4 or other dohc honda, they instantly slate the b18 engine ours has, saying who would want that, it's inferior and they're crap. Yet they break our perfectly good civic M's to get that very same engine! lol And when I've taken either of our 5 door Civic M's/Aerodeck to garages for work or mot's, have been told by more than one garage that the civic m's were one of the best cars Honda ever built.

The other thing tat bugs me is the prices. There's not much point in selling our civics (especially the vti) as their prices have stayed realistic. The 3 door vti versions are advertised at stupid money! One example was a 3 door vti, 150k on the clock with the rear arches hanging off £4k! An mb6 with the same miles but body perfect....probs £1200 tops. Just makes no sense to me! Ours are better equipped than the 3/2 door models, seem to be better at resisting rust, and are really good cars, but still they get slated. Makes keeping them going even more worthwhile, cos maybe there will come a time when the only mid to late 90's civics you see at a jap car show will be ours! Keep your wee MB going mate, she deserves it!

PS: I also love the 3 door civics, always wanted a sonic blue vti with white alloys, lowered etc. Just don't like how stuffy and ill-informed a minority of the owners of them can be!

There. rant over, and the worlds now a much better place for it! :-D