My Silver MB2 Thread

AJCivic

Looks good mate. Nice clean base to start with. Here is the link to my Mb2 thread if you wanna have a look. I learned everything from that car. Was the first time ever I modified a car. Loved it to bits and still miss it. 

• Like 2

On 19 July 2018 at 2:22 PM, powerofdreams said:

Nice mate. Look for to seeing how this progresses. U should have a look at @ammarbm old mb2 tread. Was silver too and looked amazing 

Thanks mate, got some minor stuff coming up but a lot more planned B) Thanks for the suggestion, started reading that thread and you're right! Though it's slightly making me regret all the red engine bay dress up stuff I've ordered haha! 

3 hours ago, ammarbm said:

Looks good mate. Nice clean base to start with. Here is the link to my Mb2 thread if you wanna have a look. I learned everything from that car. Was the first time ever I modified a car. Loved it to bits and still miss it. 

Thanks Maz! Started reading your build thread and absolutely loving it so far, sure I will get lots of inspiration from it! As I said, making me regret ordering red stuff and not going blue on my engine bay, matches the silver well.

Off work next week so going to get a couple things done to the back of the car, boot lip spoiler, rubber bumper lip (once I get the Tar buildup removed.. That will be messy) and dechromed, was hoping to get front fog lights wired in too but the eBay ones that fit direct aren't in stock unless I buy a wiring kit with them, and I'm messaging Civic/MG/Rover breakers trying to get the switch & dash wiring and not had a reply yet. :-? 

• Like 1

So far this week I have dechromed the rear number plate strip and wrapped it in the same Matt black as the front grille, also got rid of the tar buildup behind the back wheels for when I attach the bumper lip. 

Haven't put the bumper lip or the Rover boot lip on yet though (partially because repainting the boot lip isn't working well at all) because I did some motorway driving yesterday and today and didn't want them to fly off! 

Hopefully get that stuff done towards the end of the week along with some engine bay dress up! 

Had some cheap eBay fog lights come which fit the recesses pretty well, how do I go about making the brackets for them? Struggling to get them central etc with L brackets. 

Well I've just about given up with installing fog lights, tried everything to get them put in but without the original brackets I just can't do it, every L bracket and way of putting them in just doesn't work. They're all far too long so it just sticks out to one side and the black surrounds won't fit, either that or they stick out a full couple inches too far. banghead.gif1

Anybody got any experience installing with no brackets? 

In better (and non-ranting!) news, made an okay start on the engine bay. Here it is fresh after some painting on the rocker cover. Painted over some rusted parts on the AC fan unit and Still a good clean up to be had, radiator cap in the post, etc. Tried wrapping the fuse box lid, but it was really really hard so I went for a rough covering of the most raised bit instead. Next time I'm at the breaker's I'll try get a spare that I can toy about with and possibly spray red.

Eyeing up some red ignition leads too, will it be good practice to replace these anyway seeing as mine are now 19 years old? 

(I know the radiator stay is upside down in this pic, I couldn't figure out which way up to put it as my socket was slightly the wrong size so wouldn't tighten it all the way!)

image.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, AJCivic said:

Well I've just about given up with installing fog lights, tried everything to get them put in but without the original brackets I just can't do it, every L bracket and way of putting them in just doesn't work. They're all far too long so it just sticks out to one side and the black surrounds won't fit, either that or they stick out a full couple inches too far. banghead.gif1

Anybody got any experience installing with no brackets? 

Here is how I fitted ebay fogs on my Aerodeck. You will have to do the wiring still but these L brackets fitted fine.

3 hours ago, ammarbm said:

Engine bay looking good so far mate. Still loads to spray ;-)

Thanks pal, yeah definitely! I'm surprised how just from painting the 'Honda' and adding a couple little bits it's totally changed it already really. 

Would it it be possible to scrub down the heat shield to a good finish or will it need spraying do you think? 

2 hours ago, ammarbm said:

Here is how I fitted ebay fogs on my Aerodeck. You will have to do the wiring still but these L brackets fitted fine.

What size were those fogs? Seem to fit really well! Thanks for that, I've ordered some smaller L brackets now to try, only ones I've been able to find are all 4cmx4cm, 5x5 etc, can't find the actual L shaped ones anywhere. So it's making it really difficult. Need some washers too for the bolts because the ones I bought are fairly small, wanted to make sure they'd fit through everything, so just feels like I've been throwing money at this with no gain! But I've bought a switch etc from somebody now (Always get more results from Rover breakers than I do from Honda breakers it seems!) so hopefully will be able to crack on now and get fogs wired in when it stops raining! 

Wow wish I'd seen those earlier! Was looking for some for a while, eventually got some clear ones that are same size so I've done the same as you I think. Fitted the fogs today but wasn't happy with how far they stuck through the black surround on the outer side, didn't look terrible but not perfect, tried turning the L brackets around but now it doesn't stick out far enough.. Not sure if it's better to have them sticking out a bit or not enough!