My Silver MB2 Thread

AJCivic

Think I've sorted that now. Going to make do with some some fittings from B&Q and can always order the proper ones from Cox motor parts... Will have pics up soon.

Anybody know what kind of protection/paint I should be using for this part of the inside wheel arch? Whatever protection was there has all started peeling and chipping away and I've got a bit of rust starting where you can see in the picture on both sides. 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dave said:

Wire brush/scrape as much of the old stuff off mate, then treat area with rust treatment (kurust etc). Then paint with underseal. Should be good to go.

Thanks Dave, that sounds pretty thorough. Rust treatment will come in handy as there's a few more areas under the car I need to treat. Also promised my girlfriend I'd give her car a doing over because of rust etc. 

Wasn't sure if a spray can of stonechip was best for the wheel arches. Not 100% sure of the differences. 

Nice one cheers, so Underseal is the top layer you want on and stonechip is just a tougher paint really? Wasn't sure of the difference between the two. 

Thanks to @powerofdreams I've now got a full VTI-S lip kit and some other bits as well. The age of the splitters means they've got a bit of wear and damage which I want to fix up before colour matching them silver. (Undecided on colour to be honest) But for now the rear lip is on the car and still black. Used 3M tape to stop the top sagging but it hasn't worked well so not sure what to try, anybody got advice? image.jpeg.eaa00177d8d85e9ad509fce2aa6301f5.jpeg

You can get the proper tape from a body shop mate which should hold it. The other way would be to drill a couple of very small holes through it and the bumper, the use small rivets which will hold it permanently. You would then use a small amount of plastic filled to hide the rivets and paint over. 

Thanks pal and yeah I don't mind the silver and black, especially if I get the side skirts on as well it will match. Just think it looks a bit lost sometimes because it's close to the ground. Back lip just needs redoing again because the 3M tape has completely failed now.. Will try it again with some better stuff and heating it up, cleaning better etc, shame it is raining every single day at the moment. 

Some Underseal and rust prevention getting ordered soon, fog lights getting wired in tomorrow at the electrician's because I've given up trying to use an OEM switch myself :P Also ordered a spare battery tie down and original radiator clamp to scrub down and paint red. Looking for other engine bay clamps to get refurbed and/or painted too. 

Edited by AJCivic
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates:

Rear lip is off and mudflaps back on, didnt look as good when it was sagging down. 

Had somebody look at front fog install, he didn't seem to want to finish the work but gave me pointers on how to use the double switch. Got everything wired up and tapped into the fuse box for power to the switch. So far nothing is working though banghead.gif1Got the little light on the switch at all times so I'm thinking the power and control/relay wire might be mixed up? Don't even know if lights are still working. No sign coming from relay that it's working either. 

(Managed to completely flatten the battery after I spent hours trying all this the other day :-D shouldn't have left radio on. Was not a fun day)

While I was under the dash I found out why the clutch pedal went loose about 5/6 weeks ago, had no fluid left and that's because of a leaking Master Cylinder. So got that to replace.

Not having a fun time of it all, joys of an old car.

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch master cylinder was replaced today, clutch feels better already, a lot more resistance in the pedal now to be honest! Think I've been accommodating a bad clutch all this time.

Awful weather has meant not much is getting done at the moment, either freezing cold or stupidly wet!

Saw another MB2 tonight (1.4is.. Not entirely sure on differences - ABS, rear discs & alloys I expect) had an exhaust rattle that could have raised the dead!! Sounded terrible, blowing like hell too because it was LOUD but looked completely standard. :-?