My Silver MB2 Thread

AJCivic

Terrible news Jamie :eek:,  if you can have all the work done for under £300 or so I reckon you should continue with a car that's been in your family since new.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gel said:

Terrible news Jamie :eek:,  if you can have all the work done for under £300 or so I reckon you should continue with a car that's been in your family since new.

Thanks @Gel & @KiNK43 

Well worth keeping it on the road yes, when I first heard they couldn’t get it on the lift to do MOT I was worried what I’d find going on under the sills, taken them off this afternoon and there’s rust all the way up more or less, some areas worse than others with a nice hole in front of the rear nearside jacking point being the main issue. The jacking point is bent, maybe that’s contributed to it somehow? 

Dropping off Wednesday morning for a couple of days of welding, shouldn’t be a big job, hopefully all gets cleaned up and sorted as well. 

Temporarily put side skirts back on after taking them off earlier but decided to swap to the VTI-S skirts I’ve had sat around, every cloud and all that! 

• Like 2

Brilliant to hear you're having the job done.....once rust is no longer an issue you can you can update and uprate your car to your heart's content.

Yeah I took a few quickly after I removed the sill covers. This is the nearside, where it is worst. Also noticed it’s all lower down and underneath, not like most I’ve seen where they rot through on the sides where the white clips go. 

33504A3E-3169-42CF-B815-6B57AD1C73F4.jpeg.974b3e0dd48201d1ef0eac87b482d38f.jpeg

EF73EEF0-2033-4A57-AC7C-5278E4C0E265.jpeg.7ed1d0e10e1ca0f204a6f40387e1d94c.jpeg36C8E0E2-16A6-494D-B068-2AE6BF63E0E5.jpeg.7c1c143a9bf29f97d16b4c11334bed07.jpegDrivers side is just like this all the way up tbh. Rusted around all the screw holes really. FD8D6A23-52AB-479E-954D-7E4D9219629C.jpeg.3ed48a66e6fe15ae937f19b2c8065778.jpeg

15 hours ago, Gel said:

It isn't bad enough for "Car SOS"  but you'll find it needs a fair bit of work once ground back.....looks like you caught it just in time.

https://alvadi.ee/en/carparts/honda/civic-lb-5-d-eu-mb-mc2-1997/sill-repair-part/

Haha true that! Yeah here’s hoping, shouldn’t be too much area to cover but will be nice to have the sills sorted so it doesn’t happen again anytime soon. 

Thanks for the link! I saw some people in the Rover/MG Facebook group saying all these repair panels are sold out. Will mention it to the guy doing the work tomorrow morning, I imagine he’ll be able to fabricate something. 

@KiNK43 Very true, it’s a typical Honda thing! I thought I’d gotten away with anything going too rotten :-D

So a bit of an update after a really busy (and expensive!) week.

After finding out I needed some welding on the sills on Monday I had it in on Wednesday with a guy who the garage I use for MOT’s were raving about. He spent most of the day on it and did a bloody good job, not expensive either. Whole jacking point on the offside rear was rotten so lower sill had to be patched and the jacking point repaired, and the side piece had a patch put in too with new holes for the skirt clips. I think he’s then ground back the bad rust on both sills all the way up because he’s undersealed them right up into the wheel arches which is helpful!

Got the sill covers on and back in for MOT on Thursday where I just needed a tyre. Got that bought and test passed (completely forgot I had a brand new tyre on a spare alloy at home)  :rolleyes:

Friday it was back in the garage to try and solve a belt noise that’s been irritating me, they suspected it just needs new belts so that will have to be done at another time but I got anti roll bar bushes and droplinks replaced - what a difference! Something as small as that and I can feel it in the car when going over bumps, cornering, and setting off. 

Taxed and insured for another year too. friday.gif1

• Like 2