My Silver MB2 Thread

AJCivic

That's the style......you've now got a solid car that should be good for the foreseeable......isn't it a great feeling when your car passes muster friday.gif1

Ricky Rust has been ousted.....your anti roll bushes and drop links have been renewed......tis time to enjoy your new improved car.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2019 at 6:36 PM, AJCivic said:

Thanks @Gel & @KiNK43 

Well worth keeping it on the road yes, when I first heard they couldn’t get it on the lift to do MOT I was worried what I’d find going on under the sills, taken them off this afternoon and there’s rust all the way up more or less, some areas worse than others with a nice hole in front of the rear nearside jacking point being the main issue. The jacking point is bent, maybe that’s contributed to it somehow? 

Dropping off Wednesday morning for a couple of days of welding, shouldn’t be a big job, hopefully all gets cleaned up and sorted as well. 

Temporarily put side skirts back on after taking them off earlier but decided to swap to the VTI-S skirts I’ve had sat around, every cloud and all that! 

Thats the spirit! Now she's welded mate she'll be good as new. No shame to her needing that to be honest given our Civic M's are all old girls now. Always good to get the mot out of the way for another year! She'll look sweet with the VTiS skirts on. 

Is the squeal maybe just the fan belt needing tightened/adjusted?

• 1 month later...

Sooo, does anybody have any idea how to loosen the exhaust manifold heat shield bolts? They’re really stuck and just feel like they’re going to snap more sockets or get rounded off, impossible! 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a long time since I've done anything significant on the MB2 worth posting about! I ended up buying my first house last year and so quickly found another new way to spend time keeping busy, then obviously Covid hit this year and wrote that off! The car now gets used a bit less and also spends most of its time in the garage.

As I posted in a different area the Civic is in need of a fair bit of welding this time round to pass the MOT, pretty gutting to see the sills in such a state, 18 months ago I had a patch welded to pass the MOT and the rest of the sills seemed to be okay. This time is a different story though and they're going to need a fair bit of work as well as the rear arches. There's no wonder so many of these are getting scrapped now!

However after making decisions the past few days and some discussions I've decided that I'll be trying to get it repaired and keeping it on the road! So fingers crossed it's possible to get it sorted! :razz: 

• Like 2

AHH crap yeah they are starting to show there age now. I didn't they they rotted out as bad as egs etc but think actually worse eeeek.

Congrats on the house etc. Any pics of the old girl?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KiNK43 said:

AHH crap yeah they are starting to show there age now. I didn't they they rotted out as bad as egs etc but think actually worse eeeek.

Deffo a sign of the times. 

Think that anyone with sills in good nick should be filling them with waxoil or something and protecting the outside. 

• Like 1

Yes, even the youngest Civic M's are 20 years old now, so all are getting on a bit. It's heartbreaking when you find the rust, but (especially recently) seeing them being repaired in the forum like they have been recently and seeing the rust cut out and replaced by shiney new metal is inspiring. To think, when we started Civic5, these cars were the butt of the honda communities jokes, and not many folk were interested in them. Now they're being lovingly restored as they reach modern classic status. Good luck with the welding mate, another one i'm looking forward to watching  being brought back to life.8-)

• Like 2

Thanks Dave and fingers crossed, bloody hope I can get it sorted like. Be a shame if  not and I'd have to garage it until I can arrange something to be done about it. 

So here's hoping and if not my mate has a welder I'm free to use apparently haha! 

15 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Thanks a lot mate! And not at the moment sorry, has been a bit neglected and not used as much recently and now there's these welding repairs needing doing. But fingers crossed she'll be looking good again soon 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a mad couple of weeks with the car!

As I posted about already, it failed the MOT on the lower sills having huge holes, rear arches had holes, the rear nearside inner sill area round the back of the jacking point had a hole, was in a sorry state once I realised how bad it actually was!

After taking off the side skirts and removing the interior I also came across the offside outer/side sill having holes right through at the back (where these cars usually rust first) and the passenger seatbelt bolt was well and truly stuck and heavily corroded so in danger of breaking when trying to remove it, meanwhile a nice hole appeared a couple of inches away from it.

Got it in with somebody to get welded who has basically cut everything right back and started fresh, had the entire lower sills cut out and replaced both sides(!), a fair amount of the wheel arches replaced and replicated so it now looks original, inner and outer sill areas replaced too. Also patched the hole that appeared near the seatbelt bolt and repaired the area with the bolt itself. 

He also found part way through that the corner of the passenger footwell behind the ECU needed attention, so a patch has been put in there, I also pointed out a broken tab on the front wing which is where one of the screws for skirts/mud flaps go through, it was previously snapped on the bottom so unusable, so that has been replicated too.

Quite a list of work! :-o But I feel so confident now knowing that nothing else is likely to collapse due to rust in hidden areas underneath of the car. Quite literally added years to its life I'm hoping.

Had a retest for the MOT today and all was good except a rear brake pipe which decided to start leaking either just before or during the MOT... rlol.gif1 Got that sorted and replaced though and all passed now! 

Added a couple of quick photos I took afterwards but I'll try and take some better pictures soon, it literally hasn't stopped raining since I picked the car up from welding on Saturday afternoon, thankfully it was all undercoated there and waxoyl sprayed inside the new sills. I just need to get the side skirts back on and see how well the new holes line up for the plastic poppers underneath.

20201114_162400.thumb.jpg.6ad5f03c3c4cde604ae347f74a34391f.jpg20201115_183240.jpg.feac7056331123610db9bd53bcef90e8.jpg

• Like 1