Engine bay looking good so far mate. Still loads to spray ;-)

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 5:52 PM, AJCivic said:

Well I've just about given up with installing fog lights, tried everything to get them put in but without the original brackets I just can't do it, every L bracket and way of putting them in just doesn't work. They're all far too long so it just sticks out to one side and the black surrounds won't fit, either that or they stick out a full couple inches too far. banghead.gif1

Anybody got any experience installing with no brackets? 

Here is how I fitted ebay fogs on my Aerodeck. You will have to do the wiring still but these L brackets fitted fine.

3 hours ago, ammarbm said:

Engine bay looking good so far mate. Still loads to spray ;-)

Thanks pal, yeah definitely! I'm surprised how just from painting the 'Honda' and adding a couple little bits it's totally changed it already really. 

Would it it be possible to scrub down the heat shield to a good finish or will it need spraying do you think? 

2 hours ago, ammarbm said:

Here is how I fitted ebay fogs on my Aerodeck. You will have to do the wiring still but these L brackets fitted fine.

What size were those fogs? Seem to fit really well! Thanks for that, I've ordered some smaller L brackets now to try, only ones I've been able to find are all 4cmx4cm, 5x5 etc, can't find the actual L shaped ones anywhere. So it's making it really difficult. Need some washers too for the bolts because the ones I bought are fairly small, wanted to make sure they'd fit through everything, so just feels like I've been throwing money at this with no gain! But I've bought a switch etc from somebody now (Always get more results from Rover breakers than I do from Honda breakers it seems!) so hopefully will be able to crack on now and get fogs wired in when it stops raining! 

I would spray the heat shield VHT Black but you can try if it looks good just by rubbing it. I used these 60mm fogs. I don't remember the exact size of the brackets but you can see they fitted very nicely.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-12v-Fog-Spot-Lights-Universal-Car-Van-Pick-Up-Off-Road/282905463003?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D51875%26meid%3D61e3e1ec73074ae6978f00d1a5e421bd%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D282902870470%26itm%3D282905463003&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Wow wish I'd seen those earlier! Was looking for some for a while, eventually got some clear ones that are same size so I've done the same as you I think. Fitted the fogs today but wasn't happy with how far they stuck through the black surround on the outer side, didn't look terrible but not perfect, tried turning the L brackets around but now it doesn't stick out far enough.. Not sure if it's better to have them sticking out a bit or not enough! 

Share some pics mate. Let us see how they look both ways

Yeah I was going to get them wired up etc and then decide how I want them. Trying to figure out if I could use something as a spacer behind the L brackets and in front of the screw threads to bring them out a bit. Here are both ways for now anyway. Second looks better but I'm not sure if they're sat too far into the bumper and you can see the inside of the surround (which I wrapped so looks bad there haha) will either leave them stuck out a bit or get something to act as a spacer and do the second way so it doesn't look as obvious.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Okay so I got the fogs installed where I want them, done the grounding for them, just the wiring left to do now. My rover 45 front/rear switch and wiring came but I've noticed it has 3 more wires coming off than the switch for just the rear. That kind of makes sense as most switches have 3 wires coming off, but I'm using a relay & wiring kit and I'm not sure where I should be attaching the wire coming from the relay onto these 3? 

image.jpeg

Wonder if anybody can help - been looking into getting some new Ignition leads, so thinking of getting some red ones or sticking with black to keep the contrast against the clips I bought.

Are cheap ones okay or should I be paying quite a lot? Seen sets for under £40 and not sure if that is too cheap. 

Is it likely to definitely help the running of the car? I've heard it smoothens everything out again. Only because sometimes at low speeds I get a bit of a judder and isn't very amooth at all.

try get a decent brand and you'll be fine with the leads. it might be worth checking the cap and rotor. I'vejust changed the cap and rota on mine for geanuine honda ones. The old one was well worn and not worth keeping. 

• Thanks 1

Been wanting a rear ARB, Mb6 or MG I don't mind. I don't really want to go drilling holes in suspension parts unless I have to though so what is the best way to put a rear anti roll bar on?! :-D Will I have to pay out for aftermarket ones or try finding Mb6 control arms? What bolts etc would be needed?

I had hoped to have had a few more things done to post on here by now but unfortunately not! :( Had a chance to get some standard Mb 14" alloys a few weeks back to replace the steel wheels but didn't go ahead with it in the end.

I've been spending all my time trying to figure out the fog light wiring to the original switch, I can't be bothered cutting all wires to the pre existing rear switch if I can't get the front light bit working too! Just can't work out if I only need the wire from the relay I've installed, or if I need a live/earth too.

Strut brace arrived & went on this week, love how this looks, think it might have improved handling ever so slightly too but can't notice much yet! ;)

image.jpeg.2cdeabd40705feea54d626b99003059e.jpeg

Also upgraded some bulbs recently, installed the Osram Nightbraker ('Unlimited', not 'laser') headlight bulbs, and replaced standard side light bulbs with Halfords pure white 'HID effect' bulbs. Only £6 for the latter so why not. Struggled to get a good picture but the lights are much whiter now & so visibility improved. 

• Like 1

Looking good mate. The night breakers are excellent, had them on all my civics. The difference is "like night and day" lol  Deffo a big improvement.

Looking good mate. I see the engine bay transforming slowly. Once you spray that rocker cover and heat shield you will see a massive difference. I always use cree side light bulbs in mine. Find them to be the brightest so far

Anybody know where I can get original fittings for installing a lip kit? Or what works as an alternative? The weird nuts that slide into the bumper and the bolts with the wide top part I mean. I've got all original ones already installed for the front lip but can't find them anywhere to use them for the rear lip.

Seems like it would be easier to use original fittings than trying to get arm around the bumper to use a standard nut/bolt. 

Edited by AJCivic

Think I've sorted that now. Going to make do with some some fittings from B&Q and can always order the proper ones from Cox motor parts... Will have pics up soon.

Anybody know what kind of protection/paint I should be using for this part of the inside wheel arch? Whatever protection was there has all started peeling and chipping away and I've got a bit of rust starting where you can see in the picture on both sides. 

image.jpeg

Wire brush/scrape as much of the old stuff off mate, then treat area with rust treatment (kurust etc). Then paint with underseal. Should be good to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave said:

Wire brush/scrape as much of the old stuff off mate, then treat area with rust treatment (kurust etc). Then paint with underseal. Should be good to go.

Thanks Dave, that sounds pretty thorough. Rust treatment will come in handy as there's a few more areas under the car I need to treat. Also promised my girlfriend I'd give her car a doing over because of rust etc. 

Wasn't sure if a spray can of stonechip was best for the wheel arches. Not 100% sure of the differences. 

You could spray the treated area with stonechip the underseal over it. Will be even more protection against road salt etc

Nice one cheers, so Underseal is the top layer you want on and stonechip is just a tougher paint really? Wasn't sure of the difference between the two. 

Thanks to @powerofdreams I've now got a full VTI-S lip kit and some other bits as well. The age of the splitters means they've got a bit of wear and damage which I want to fix up before colour matching them silver. (Undecided on colour to be honest) But for now the rear lip is on the car and still black. Used 3M tape to stop the top sagging but it hasn't worked well so not sure what to try, anybody got advice? image.jpeg.eaa00177d8d85e9ad509fce2aa6301f5.jpeg

You can get the proper tape from a body shop mate which should hold it. The other way would be to drill a couple of very small holes through it and the bumper, the use small rivets which will hold it permanently. You would then use a small amount of plastic filled to hide the rivets and paint over. 

Ur welcome mate. And to b honest. I love the black and silver look . Can't waityo c more pics 

Thanks pal and yeah I don't mind the silver and black, especially if I get the side skirts on as well it will match. Just think it looks a bit lost sometimes because it's close to the ground. Back lip just needs redoing again because the 3M tape has completely failed now.. Will try it again with some better stuff and heating it up, cleaning better etc, shame it is raining every single day at the moment. 

Some Underseal and rust prevention getting ordered soon, fog lights getting wired in tomorrow at the electrician's because I've given up trying to use an OEM switch myself :P Also ordered a spare battery tie down and original radiator clamp to scrub down and paint red. Looking for other engine bay clamps to get refurbed and/or painted too. 

Edited by AJCivic
  • Like 2