Front brake caliper carriers

Rissy

Our cars are getitng older now.  In fact, although they should be supporting them until 25yrs of age, even Honda seem to be running out of  basic parts even.  As an example, front brake components.  Calipers, carriers etc.

My front brakes have had some TLC over the past few years to keep them legal for MOT, but every time i dismantle them, i realise what an awful state they're in, with all the rust etc.  I have taken a very relaxed look around on the net from time to time to try and see if I could source new ones (carriers especially) and it shocks me to find that this is impossible it seems.  REALLY!!!???

Is this REALLY the case!?

Unfortunately it is mate. They (Honda) stopped producing parts for ours years ago, so basically any parts that were in stock have eventually ran out.

For calipers though, you're not lost. You can get reconditioned ones easy, which come with new pistons, seals etc and the casings are blasted and painted, so essentially brand new calipers. I'm about to get new (recon) front ones for DD. The carrier brackets aren't available recon, so these you need to return yourself.

The parts that might disappear that worry me are things like the sliding pins for them, handbrake cables etc.

And also the "Dealer only" parts.

It is pretty poor that Honda don't support owners better, but all they are interested in now is selling brand new cars.

13 hours ago, Dave said:

The parts that might disappear that worry me are things like the sliding pins for them, handbrake cables etc.

I don't think the slider pins are a problem (yet).  You can find THEM all over the bay of e.  The carriers are the problem for me i think, because the slider recesses within mine are all ruined from rust.  Every time i have them in bits, those holes are worse than last time.  I've had to use so much silicone grease inside them to keep the pins movable!  Hand brake cables, yes, but tbf, i've never changed mine.  My originals have lasted all these years.  But that's not really the point, is it.  Quite frankly it's ridiculous that Honda don't support for simple expected wear and tear items.  Important items like brakes and components!  There used to be a rule, a legal rule that said car manufacturers had to be able to support vehicles up to the age of 25yrs.  What happened to that rule!?  Has it been thrown out!?

I have a 1981 DeLorean, and it's ridiculous that parts for it are more easily got than those for a Honda Civic.  Although to be fair again, at least in the case of the VTi, there are less of them in existence than DeLorean's, but still.

I take it none of the Rover/MG brake components (carrier etc) fit our MB6's?  I've bought a few things from Rimmer Bros over the years for my Civic where i can see they've used the same parts, but brakes is a bit more of an unknown.  It's not so easy to make out if any are the same or not.

I really dread the thought of having to go to meticulous detail to fix simple stuff on my Civic, like having to consider going to an engineering shop and asking "can you sleeve this", or "can you reproduce this?", because that's project car territory, and i already have the D' for that sort of hobby.  My Civic has ALWAYS been an every day car for me, and it makes me sad that one day, sooner than probably later by the sounds of it, the car will have to be put down because of some simple unattainable part and the lack of dedication or time required to get around that.  It's really sad, and worrying tbh.  I love my Civic, and i want to see her go on.

Some Rover brake components do fit mate! The rear calipers are the same as ours from what ive seen. My best mate had a rover 400 saloon (2 litre) and he couldnt find a rear caliper in the breakers for it. He got a civic mb one and it was idenrical. The fronts i imagine will be the same, the not sure on them being the same for mb6/mc1 as they had bigger discs (282mm) and bigger calipers. Vti also has different stud pattern. But for 1.6, 1.5 and 1.4, i assume these will all be the same.

Youve got a delorian????? Jeese man! I need pics of this!!!! Totally love them! That could be also becsuse my fav film of all time is back to the future. Got a delorian myself......only its 1:12 scale model of bttf car! Lol also got a bttf " Outa time" number plate on the kitchen wall, made by myself! Looks pretty good!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noodels said:

silicone is to thin, use a better type and refresh more often ,maybe white marine grease or a copper based type.

& MC2 Dave not MC1 angrymod.gif1

I'm not using silicone spray, but rather medical grade thick gluppy silicone grease.  Silicone grease is in fact what's advised to use when you're replacing the carriers etc if you read the workshop manual.  I did used to use copper grease, before i got my hands on the workshop manual, but it's definitely not as good, and i think it helps perish the little rubber concertinas which attach to the carrier and the pins to seal the grease in and the outside world, out.

I've often wondered what's with this MC2 v's MB6 thing?  Were the European models called MC2 and the UK model, MB6?  I've only ever referred to mine as an MB6, but i have appreciated in the past that some parts are listed as being compatible with MC2/MB6.

12 hours ago, Dave said:

Youve got a delorian????? Jeese man! I need pics of this!!!! Totally love them! That could be also becsuse my fav film of all time is back to the future. Got a delorian myself......only its 1:12 scale model of bttf car! Lol also got a bttf " Outa time" number plate on the kitchen wall, made by myself! Looks pretty good!

"DeLorean", yes.  I've had it for sometime.  Much like you have a name for your Civic, my D's name is "LEX".  I don't have a name for my Civic (Or my BMW for that matter either).

Here's a couple of pictures of the D' and the Civic together back in 2009.  I've no updated pictures of the two together since these were taken in Edinburgh.  Both cars have been moved down to Rugby since.

13-09-09_1.jpg

13-09-09_2.jpg

• Like 2

You need to get the DeLorean and the civic or our sister site future classic cars mate. Deffo not got a DeLorean in the club yet!!!! Would love to see it over there!