Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Dave

Not a lot been happening in Mindy's world recently due to time of year. Did hwoever get the last wheel finally into lacquer just before Christmas and then went out yesterday and got it fitted so she's now sitting on her original alloys all refurbed. Another reason I was out in the garage yesterday........my mrs Gayle got me a wee present for Mindy for my Christmas! We both love the stainless sill steps/covers, so she found me an original set and got me those. We fitted them yesterday and they really make a big difference when you open the door. Looks so much better now she has some jewellery on! Do like a bit of bling! I'll get a photo posted soon.

Really wanted to take her out today for a drive, but the roads are still damp/wet around here. Gayle told me under no uncertain terms is Mindy venturing out onto the roads when there's still salt on them! Think she's more protective of this little car than even I am!! lol applause.gif1

• Like 1

Small update.

Got The last alloy fitted so she's now back riding on her original 5 spoke alloys, all nicely returned in white. Really think it changes her look.

20181228_142639.jpg20181228_142707.jpg20181228_142718.jpg20181228_142728.jpg

Lucky boy, Gayle got me new things for Mindy as part of my Christmas pressies! OEM stainless will covers! Been wanting these for ages, so got them fitted. Going to give them a good polish as I have a full metal polishing kit, but tbh they're in really nice condition anyways so that can wait for a bit

20181228_142815.jpg20181228_142824.jpg

Next up, fixed the driver's door handle which was previously not sitting right (was sticking out at one end) (see previous post) so with a new wee bit of rubber put in place (I had some of those stick on rubber feet for laptops etc lying spare) the handle now sits flush like it should (and my OCD Balance is restored!)

20181228_142912.jpg

Can just see Carly Cooper's bum peeking out from the garage! That's the job today (which went tits up!) Fitting new rear brake calipers, pads and sensors. Will update Carly's thread with the dismal job later.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

Needs lows! 

And a snail, the 1.6 is painfully slow! 

Looks tidy Dave! 

Nah, deffo not lowering this one Tom. Kinda had my fill of lowered cars, really don't enjoy driving them (although yes they do look better!!)

Even thinking of putting DD back on her standard suspension, although that most likely won't happen!

Did think about more power, even though about supercharging! Not really a fan of turbos to be honest, lag etc. Might look at subtle upgrades for power (poss changing cams, exhaust). Apparently advancing timing to12 degrees tdc makes a big improvement but need to do more research on that. I don't mind the fact it's not fast like a typeR etc, the sensation of speed on a B road makes it feel faster anyways lol But would like more power for overtaking etc. Even standard, the engine does sound nice when giving it beans.

4 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

Mazda speed suspension. That is all.

Does the mazdaspeed suspension have just a small drop in height compared to stock, but is a lot stiffer if I remember rightly? Might be an option although can't imagine anything from mazdaspeed being cheap!! lol

Will deffo be getting brand new suspension this year, it's top of the list. Although did just buy her a new stereo! Got yet another Pioneer, similar to the one in DD, but without Bluetooth. Has USB, DAB, CD etc and iPod/Android compatible. Should retail at £140...........got it 2nd hand for £20!!!! Fitted it today (did have to repair wiring on it though) and also fitted the spare DAB Ariel I had in garage. All working sweet, sounds superb and looks pretty good too! 

Will get some pics tomorrow.

So, a little update! As some of you may already know, when I went to work on Carly (replacing rear calipers then bleeding brakes) things did not go smoothly! After new calipers were fitted, Gayle and I were in the garage finishing off bleeding the brakes. And that's when it happened!  I had a heart attack! I didn't have a clue what was happening but luckily Gayle spotted the signs and got me into the house then called for an ambulance. Wont go into too much details but they had a team waiting at the door pf the ERI who took me from ambulance straight into theatre. Two stents fitted then up to cardiac care unit. Both the team and the ambulance crew said if Gayle hadn't acted so quickly, I wouldn't be here now.

So obviously restoring Mindy has ground to a halt due to me having to recover and rebuild my strength/repair my old ticker. Well, not entirely ground to a halt! hehehe. I have changed her head unit again, after picking up a Pioneer DAB/USB head unit really cheap (like, £20!). Got it all fitted although it did have a fault with it's own wiring harness which I had to repair but all as good as new now. Had a spare brand new DAB ariel lying about in the garage so fitted that and all working perfectly. Love having the USB, as it means (like my other cars) no more CD's rattling about in the car. Will get photos of the new head unit when I remember, but here's a few of Mindy on a wee run yesterday down the coast road. Decided it was sunny, and I needed cheering up so off we tootled. Actually gave her quite a good blast, and even with the knackered suspension, totally enjoyed it. Flashed at a silver MK2 MX5 going through Port Seton but he blanked me! lol

jan_2019_2we run down coast.jpgjan_2019_3we run down coast.jpgjan_2019_4we run down coast.jpgjan_2019_5we run down coast.jpg

And my fav photo of her so far..

jan_2019.jpg

Hope you like. Will be tackling replacing the suspension once I have my strength back, then engine service/belts along with draining the brake fluid and renewing it (hopefully no dramas this time round!!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, update time! Decided on plan B as the chosen plan of attack! Ordered her brand new shocks, springs and bump stops from MX5Heaven and it was delivered yesterday. Kit looks decent, and the reviews were all highly recommending it. Plan B involves my local garage fitting the kit as I have no patience any more and just want it done!!! Can't wait until I've recovered!!

• Dave pinned this topic
  • Dave unpinned this topic