Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Dave

And Mindy sailed through her test! Mot guy said shes a good one. Only one advisory which was a small oil leak which i knew about but have yet to trace. Well happy with that!!!

DD also passed her mot now, so both will be seeing some miles soon! Very happy bunny!

6 hours ago, Dave said:

And Mindy sailed through her test! Mot guy said shes a good one. Only one advisory which was a small oil leak which i knew about but have yet to trace. Well happy with that!!!

DD also passed her mot now, so both will be seeing some miles soon! Very happy bunny!

Like there was any chance of a fail ;)

Good stuff mate! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burbleboy said:

Like there was any chance of a fail ;)

Good stuff mate! 

lol that's what Gayle said!!!! Must just be me that's paranoid! lolapplause.gif1

Oh and the pics of Mindy's interior.......got the wood kit for the dash tombstone and centre console.

1wood-dash-trim-mx5.jpg2wood-dash-trim-mx5.jpg

Did a machine polish on her (clayed first) so she's looking shiney. Still badly want to respray her though!

1detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg2detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg4detailed-polished-waxed-mx5.jpg20190405_145932.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, and her mirrors are colour coded now (found out they were already colour coded but had been badly sprayed with some cheapy satin black paint. Bit of thinners and off it came! Isn't done in the photos above but is on the mini meet ones further up the page with Robins mk1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a problem developed with Mindy!  Seems she has started a slight missfire under load at around 2000rpm and below. Have ordered an OBD (1) reader to see if that can trace the fault but in the meantime thought I'd check then replace her spark plugs. Got nice new ones as I couldn't see any mention of them being changed in her history.

20190626_180145Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

Got the first three fitted without any issues (old ones looked really discoloured although only one seemed to be burning wrong.) but the last one (typically the one against the bulkhead so hardest to get at) when taking the plug lead off, the rubber end came off and is stuck to the plug away down inside the hole. meaning I can't get the socket onto the plug to get it out! Was going to be replacing the leads too, so with this one doing that seems a good idea to bin the old ones. I've added some photos below of the problem rubber.

How the lead should look:

20190626_175604Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

The big rubber bit on the end that seals around the plug is the bit that's came off and is stuck onto the plug away down in the hole.

How the problem lead looks (shows rubber bit is missing)

20190626_175630Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

And the rubber down in the hole stuck to the plug

20190626_175643Mazda_mx5_mk1_spark_plugs.jpg

I need a pair of really long nosed pliers, but the kind that work in the opposite way to normal pliers (like the ones that you use to remove circlips so the ends open when you squeeze the handles) as I think that might be able to pull the rubber bit out. Anyone got any idea how to get this out?

• Dave pinned this topic
  • Dave unpinned this topic