Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Dave

Cheers chaps! Thanks Ali, managed to make a hook using an  old CB ariel whip. Got the bugger out! Rubber was all perished so I'm thinking the leads deffo need to go. Final new plug now in. Test drove........still doing it! :frantic:  Going to get the new leads ordered from Autolink (was intending to change all this anyways then pop her in for an oil/filters change to keep the service book stamped) so not too bothered about the cost of changing the plugs and leads. The diagnostic thingy from here >> http://www.mx5tech.co.uk/diagnostic.aspx?fbclid=IwAR16-p8pkCFLQKlspmB7mRn_IWQBNxEH2qbKNBGepUDDfg38kxVjlZdZeFE will hopefully arrive soon so I can get to the bottom of the problem. I'm thinking coil pack/MAF sensor/or maybe o2 sensor?

She's ok if your giving it large on the right pedal, only suffers coming out of tight twisties in low rpm and driving through towns etc. Getting nice sun here too and can't get her out to enjoy it.

So, new HT leads (in red) & new coil pack ordered today from Andrew at Autolink uk. Have to say what a really helpful guy on the phone! Hoping the bits come tomorrow. He suggested getting a ratchet spanner to make getting the bottom bolt out of the coilpack a bit quicker/easier, so been to Halfords and bought a set.

Weather is utterly amazing here just now (better than where we were last week in Gran Canaria!) so want Mindy on the road asap! So with mindy out of action, only one thing for it.........take my other modern classic out for the trip to halfords. DD (my Honda Civic Aerodeck) performed perfectly as always, so we went for a wee run. Forgot just how nice this car is to drive, and love the looks she gets when we're out and about.

• Like 2

Amazing service from autolink, parts arrived this morning! All fitted and Mindy running sweet as a nut now, fault cured! 

Big thanks to Gayle for helping me in the garage today, my hands were too big to get to the bolt on the coil pack that was on the back of the engine and up against the bulkhead. Real swine to get to, but Gayle saved the day! Pic below showing Gayle with the offending bolt (and Mindy's nice new red HT leads!)

Gayle_with_offending_boltMazda_mx5_mk1.jpg

Also Dave and Sarah were here today (DAVEMB2 and SarahFR) on hols so was great to see them again. Had Dave out for a blast in Mindy, then we all went for a run to North Berwick then Archerfield in DD. Was a great day out. Good to see Daves MB3 still going strong and looking sweet!

• Like 1

That's super quick service! Glad it's sorted it and you haven't had to go on a wild goose chase of intermittent sensor faults that don't throw a fault code... 

Good to hear Dave and Sarah were there and that he's still got the civic. 8-)

• Like 1

yes mate, think that's what I like about this wee mx5, easy to work on and not a lot of sensors. Only some bolts are a pain to get access to but other than that great wee car.Daves MB3 is looking good mate, although he did have a slight altercation with a very low bollardy type thing while up here (seems his rear brakes always get a problem when they visit Scotland too lol :-D

• Haha 1

Great to hear Mindy's wee cough has been cured double quick time :)......I agree.....could have turned out an expensive and frustrating task......bang on diagnosis Dave....lucky you had Gayle to apply the magic touch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gel said:

Great to hear Mindy's wee cough has been cured double quick time :)......I agree.....could have turned out an expensive and frustrating task......bang on diagnosis Dave....lucky you had Gayle to apply the magic touch.

She's great in the garage mate! I was starting to loose my rag (which I do very quickly since the heart attack for some reason) with that bottom bolt, but Gayle is just so patient and calm when working on the car it's amazing! She always mentions the "tortoise and the hare" tale.........take your time and you'll get the job done, try and rush it impatiently and you'll get frustrated, loose the head and throw yer teddy out the pram meaning job won't get done! She's right! lol

• Dave pinned this topic
  • Dave unpinned this topic