Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Dave

Just been on our first proper road trip with Mindy. Gayle got me a murder mystery weekend for my birthday at a very nice hotel in Pitlochry, Perthshire. We decided that we'd take Mindy as Gayle knew of some cracking roads in that part of Scotland, so would be a great wee test for the car.

Gave Mindy a once over before we set off (oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluids etc) then off we went. Mostly motorways until we got past Perth and on the road to Inverness. Have to say that was the one bit I wasnt looking forward too, going by how Mindy drove home on the motorway the say we bought her, but she totally surprised me. She is happy on the motorway, cruises along at 70mph no probs, with occasional we jaunts upwards of that. No horrible shakes or vibrations now that she has her new suspension, and it was quite a relaxed trip. Once we turned off to head for Pitlochry, Gayle took us on another route that goes up to a place called "Queens View". This is the most beautiful tourist viewpoint, with staggering views of the hills/mountains and across Loch Tummel.

8.queens_view_13072019.jpg

Mindy having her first wee rest at Queens View!

Mindy_at_Queens_view_13072019.jpg

And the best cappuccino ever when we arrived at the wee cafe there

2_cappaccino_queens View.jpg

The views from Queens view over Loch Tummel

3_queens_view_over_loch_wee_catterpiller_carved_into_wood.jpg7.queens_view_13072019.jpg

Then we headed back to Pitlochry to explore the town and our accommodation for the weekend, Fishers Hotel.fisher-s-hotel.jpgfishers_hotel_gardens.jpg

The staff were great, the food awesome and the murder mystery a right laugh!

For the trip home, Gayle planned a great route, taking in some beautiful little villages and towns along with some of the best roads we've been on! She knows this area very well so as soon as we hit the route she smiled and said "enjoy!"

First place we stopped off at was Kenmore, a stunning little village.

9.Ken_moore.jpg10.ken_moore_viewfrom bridge_13072019.jpg11.ken_moore_viewfrom bridge_13072019.jpg14.ken_moore_view_at_boats_13072019.jpg15.ken_moore_view_at_boats_13072019.jpg

Next we headed along some even better roads to Killin, another stunning village.

15A.mindy_mx5_at_killin_13072019.jpg

The river was impressive, with its waterfalls and large rocky area. Although loads of rocks you could walk out on, these are pretty much covered over during winter when the water level rises

16.killin_13072019.jpg

17.killin_13072019.jpg20190714_123520.jpg

We had a look through a little arts/crafts/thrift shop which used to be a mill. Had some old vinyl LP's for sale too (yes, we had a good rumage and bought one!). We also popped into "Falls of Dochart Inn" where we had the best home made scones ever! They were blooming huge!!!!

18.killin_falls_of_dochart_inn.jpg

From there we headed through the hills, east and back towards Perth. Avbsolutely an amazing drive and loved every second of those wee twisty roads! Our first trip done, and Mindy never missed a beat. She drove perfect the whole trip, and was so much fun! Now we've seen what she's like on a trip (we covered 250 miles all in) we want to take off for more weekends away! We did notice a slight noise from the left rear which I think may be the start of a wheel bearing going, so will get that looked at although it wasn't loud or anything. Other than that, flawless. Love this wee car!!!

Oh, and so many waves from fellow MX5 drivers, from mk2's to mk3's and even the latest mk4!

Also got a wee video of Gayle driving down the narrow twisty road from Queens View which I'll post up once I've finished editing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dr_broon said:

I remember going to Pitlochry as a kid when my dad was working up that way... Stayed at the hydro hotel. Was dead nice scenery from what I remember. 

It's a beautiful place Simon. Funny, I never rated it before when I went there every year for 5 years when I was an electrical tester, but had only seen the housing end where the high school is! Hadn't actually went right into the town!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:16 AM, Gel said:

The perfect car for your National Geographic Tour :).....nice one Gayle.....you really do know how to enjoy life.

Indeed Gerry........she deffo taught me that life is for living and also that life is a journey best travelled with the roof down!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, after much thought we decided we didn't like the tombstone seats we fitted. Only one thing for it then.........

Buy these for Mindy!

20190806_200145.jpg

Nice 2 tone black/red leather seats from another MX5. Apart from some very slight wear on the drivers bolster which we're going to have repaired locally, and needing a clean, these seats are pretty mint! Well chuffed with them and even the undersides (unlike the original bases on the tombstones which we had to swap which were rusty as hell) on these look like brand new.

20190806_200234.jpg

Got them for the bargain price of £70. Apart from afore mentioned slight bolster wear which appears to be just the colour that's worn off, there is no damage/tears or rips anywhere on them.The guy even threw in the matching red leather gear gator and handbrake gator. Really chuffed with these. Going to get them properly clean and then conditioned, then get the restorer to repaint the bolster. A very happy chappy! Can't wait for them to be ready to fit!

Suppose the good thing is from an originality point of view, they are the same as the original seats we took out, only in leather, so kinda more in keeping with the car.

• Like 2

• Dave pinned this topic
  • Dave unpinned this topic