Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Mazda speed suspension. That is all.

4 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

Mazda speed suspension. That is all.

Does the mazdaspeed suspension have just a small drop in height compared to stock, but is a lot stiffer if I remember rightly? Might be an option although can't imagine anything from mazdaspeed being cheap!! lol

My MK2 was lowwwww! 

I suspect you can raise it up!

Will deffo be getting brand new suspension this year, it's top of the list. Although did just buy her a new stereo! Got yet another Pioneer, similar to the one in DD, but without Bluetooth. Has USB, DAB, CD etc and iPod/Android compatible. Should retail at £140...........got it 2nd hand for £20!!!! Fitted it today (did have to repair wiring on it though) and also fitted the spare DAB Ariel I had in garage. All working sweet, sounds superb and looks pretty good too! 

Will get some pics tomorrow.

Was your mx5 the 1.6 or 1.8 Tom? Can't remember.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Was your mx5 the 1.6 or 1.8 Tom? Can't remember.

search button not working @Dave

lol 

twas a 1.6. 

10 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

search button not working @Dave

lol 

twas a 1.6. 

Lol wot search button.........ohhhhhh that's what that is! Lmao

So, a little update! As some of you may already know, when I went to work on Carly (replacing rear calipers then bleeding brakes) things did not go smoothly! After new calipers were fitted, Gayle and I were in the garage finishing off bleeding the brakes. And that's when it happened!  I had a heart attack! I didn't have a clue what was happening but luckily Gayle spotted the signs and got me into the house then called for an ambulance. Wont go into too much details but they had a team waiting at the door pf the ERI who took me from ambulance straight into theatre. Two stents fitted then up to cardiac care unit. Both the team and the ambulance crew said if Gayle hadn't acted so quickly, I wouldn't be here now.

So obviously restoring Mindy has ground to a halt due to me having to recover and rebuild my strength/repair my old ticker. Well, not entirely ground to a halt! hehehe. I have changed her head unit again, after picking up a Pioneer DAB/USB head unit really cheap (like, £20!). Got it all fitted although it did have a fault with it's own wiring harness which I had to repair but all as good as new now. Had a spare brand new DAB ariel lying about in the garage so fitted that and all working perfectly. Love having the USB, as it means (like my other cars) no more CD's rattling about in the car. Will get photos of the new head unit when I remember, but here's a few of Mindy on a wee run yesterday down the coast road. Decided it was sunny, and I needed cheering up so off we tootled. Actually gave her quite a good blast, and even with the knackered suspension, totally enjoyed it. Flashed at a silver MK2 MX5 going through Port Seton but he blanked me! lol

jan_2019_2we run down coast.jpgjan_2019_3we run down coast.jpgjan_2019_4we run down coast.jpgjan_2019_5we run down coast.jpg

And my fav photo of her so far..

jan_2019.jpg

Hope you like. Will be tackling replacing the suspension once I have my strength back, then engine service/belts along with draining the brake fluid and renewing it (hopefully no dramas this time round!!)

• Like 1

So, update time! Decided on plan B as the chosen plan of attack! Ordered her brand new shocks, springs and bump stops from MX5Heaven and it was delivered yesterday. Kit looks decent, and the reviews were all highly recommending it. Plan B involves my local garage fitting the kit as I have no patience any more and just want it done!!! Can't wait until I've recovered!!

Garage asked me to bring the car down first so they can check her over to see if new bolts etc are going to be needed, and to see how much rust on the old kit they would be facing. This would also give me the chance to have a look while she's up on the ramp.

Looks like the shocks,/bolts will come off ok after some heat. On inspection, osr shock is completely gone, no damping at all. OSF shock is leaking like crazy, and not much damping going on. They also suspect that's where the knocking noise is coming from, although will know for sure once they get stuck in. NSF shock is a bit weak, NSR shock and spring have both been replaced. No wonder her handling is all over the place!

They had me in the garage to have a good nosey underneath as you can't really tell much when viewing the car in the streets when buying it. Guys at garage even agree she is surprisingly very solid underneath. The wishbones look crap with all the underseal that's been slapped on them flaking off, but these will also be getting replaced as we go along. Underseal on floor etc looks untidy/old and needs wire brushed off and redone, but she looks really solid! Very happy and very relieved, as checking the underneath on any car is tricky, but on these it's even harder and also more crucial as they do rot like hell. Glad to see wee do appear to have bought a really good one on that front!

So, she's booked in for Monday to get all her new suspension fitted! So looking forward to it! Martyn my friend at the garage also recommended a place not too far away from here to get the geometry set up done so will get that booked asap too. Next month, funds allowing, will get new tyres all round and new brake pads front and rear. Getting her booked into there to get all her fluids changed too, along with all filters and spark plugs/leads. 

Took her for a wee celebration run seeing as the sun was out! Love this wee car!

• Like 1

WTG Dave,  Mindy will drive better than a newbie once you complete the suspension work.....great to hear Mindy is a solid 'ol Gal.

• Like 1

Soooooo looking forward to it mate! :ohyeees:

Will be a massive difference to get that sorted 8-)

• Like 1

So, got her back, new suspension fitted and they didn't have any probs with the fitting. Just had her out for a proper wee blast as didn't have time yesterday............and bloody hell, what a difference!

The massive vibration through the car when going over even the slightest bump is gone. There is still a little vibration, also noticed this at high speed on the motorway, so assuming the wheels deffo need balanced plus a 4 wheel alignment still need done.

But cornering, my god she's so much better! Could feel myself trusting her more and more with every corner. She's just so much more controlled. Now she doesn't bounce on the osr, which used to throw her out in corners. So much more fun to drive, but also so much nicer to drive normally.

Ordered up 4 new Goodyear efficient grip tyres for her (got a bargain on blackcircles, 4 fully fitted for £214 as they had a discount sale on) so these getting fitted on Thursday. Will then get her booked in for the geometry set up. 

Got a pic of underneath with new shock/spring fitted but it's on my phone so will upload it later. Not much to see really, just a nice shiney shock bump stop and spring. Lol

• Like 1

Well, everyone knows how I love miniatures so after seeing the 1:18 scale models from Gates posted by another member, I decided to go looking for one! Had been told that these were expensive, and cheapest ones I could find were over the £100 mark. Then this one popped up, but had no box (not an issue for me as all my models come out of the box and go on display shelves) but in mint condition. Looked at the price, it had just been listed minutes before.........at £40! Jumped on it there and then!

So it arrived today, and have to say description was bang on, not a single mark or scratch on it. Had to make up some of Mindy's plates in 1:18 scale (would be rude not to! lol)

Hope you like!

20190227_130133Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg20190227_130153Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg20190227_130218Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg20190227_130233Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg20190227_130248Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg20190227_130311Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg

Oh, and the only pic I have of the new suspension so far! lol. Unfortunately, it also shows how untidy she is underneath, but everything is solid, only surface rust. Will be tackling this as soon as I'm well enough!

20190226_144631Mindy-Mini-Me118-scale.jpg

Seen cars 6 or 7 years old that look as bad if not worse underneath. 

Love the model very detailed

• Like 1

Well. She's got her full new set of Goodyear efficentGrip tyres fitted (more bloody money but got a cracking deal on them so couldn't say no!)..........and along with the new suspension....omg! So much more planted through the corners!! Still to get the geometry done but already transformed! Hoping the geometry set up solves the really (and I mean REALLY) crashy/vibrating ride she has. The cornering is great, but the ride still isn't!

Anyhoo, seems Mindy is on a mission to have my account constantly overdrawn! Went to pick Gayle up from work yesterday, and on way home, bloody brake pads went! So ordered up a new front and rear brake disc/brake pad package from MX5Parts today. My bank manager must be having me right now, but hey ho, it's only money! Lol

Seems perculier the ride issue doesn't it. Sure youll get to the bottom of it though

• Like 1

Another box arrived for Mindy today, again from MX5Parts!

New brakes

20190304_144506Mindy-new-brakes.jpg

20190304_144627Mindy-new-brakes.jpg

Looking at her current discs, the fronts look to be quite new, so will still change them but keep the old ones as spare. The rears are also in pretty decent shape, no lips on the discs, so once I get em off will decide if these too can maybe be kept as spares. Could probably have got away with just ordering the pads front and rear, but thought I was always going to replace all thius for new stuff during the resto so might aswell just get them and fit them now. Least I know then it's been done, and also will feel better knowing that if Gayle's out in Mindy on her own, the brakes are all safe. Expecting the pads to be utterly gubbed going by the noise they were making! Once these are all fitted, going to put her in to get the brake fluid flushed and renewed, plus a service including all fluids changed.

• Like 3

Excellent upgrade Dave :car2:  now could also be the ideal time to lubricate the callipers.....could well be the reason for the noisy brakes ?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 10:14 AM, Gel said:

Excellent upgrade Dave :car2:  now could also be the ideal time to lubricate the callipers.....could well be the reason for the noisy brakes ?

Yeah, will give the calipers and slide pins a good look over. She had just had new rear calipers fitted before i bought her so these should hopefully be ok.

• Like 1

So..........I have been busy! I know I'm not supposed to be working on cars or doing anything strenuous at the moment due to the heart attack, but I've been bored rigid and finally thought to hell with it, I'm doing this!

So I've replaced Mindys brake discs and pads! Took a lot lot longer than it normally would (usually about an hour, took me 6 hours all in as had to keep stopping to get my breath back/have a wee break.

The old discs weren't actually too bad, but better to replace them anyways. Pads weren't worn as much as expected, but the material felt weird, like it had maybe been cooked by heavy breaking or they had been contaminated, deffo felt odd. Plus they were el' cheapo pads! Old brakes below.

20190309_123243.jpg

Oh, and don't worry, that surface rust has now been checked, buffed and treated with rust treatment, and painted over for now to protect it until i redo all the underseal/dinitrol it.

On with the new!

20190309_150445.jpg

Can also see the new springs, dampers and bump stops. Pass side completed below.

20190309_161959.jpg

so fronts now done, just got the rears to do now, although felt really tired today for some reason so will see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to do them!

Took her for a nice run on Monday seeing as Gayle was on a day off, brakes nicely bedded in now. Gave her a bit more stick, and by god does she handle a lot better than when we bought her. Even as a passenger, Gayle said Mindy felt really solid now, and planted through the twisties.

I had her out for another blast today, and went even quicker than I have ever went with her before and can report she actually encourages you to go even quicker through the bends. Took her into town, and so much comfier than she ever was before, more relaxed to drive. Still a bit to be gained by loosening/redoing those bolts and of course the geo set up. But at least now she feels like an MX5 should, and how I remembered those mk1's feeling that i drove years ago. All is good in Mindy's world!

• Like 1

Oh, meant to add, was really surprised how easy everything came apart, no siezed bolts or discs that won't come off, even the caliper pistons pushed back nice and easy. Really enjoyed working on her, and if I get told off by cardio nurse I'll just say "but hey, its therapeutic!"

Gayle was fine as she knew where i was and what i was doing, was under orders to take it easy. Think she got that i needed to do this, needed to feel like.......well, like me again! Said on the day i had the heart attack that i would not let it redefine who i am or what i can do. So this really did make me feel good again, even if it did take way longer than it should and drained me of energy. Was worth it!

Ps: you guys will back me up if i get Tokyo from the cardio nurse, eh chaps!? Lol 

Good stuff Dave, just gan canny though eh? You don't want to do yourself a mischief. 

• Like 1

Will do Simon. Got Tokyo from the cardio nurse, been instructed to spend no more than an hour max working on the car (and still taking it easy) per day, with a day's break in between. If I carry on the way I did above, it will take my recovery even longer so me is doing as me is told! lol :ohyeees:

• Like 1