P28 with Hondata S300, limp mode problem

Dexter

So finally got myself a refurbed P28 ecu with Hondata S300 ready to plug and play from H-tune. Took it to a respectable tuner, and in absence of a B18C4 basemap he downloaded a close-enough map from the Hondata website and started with dealing with the engine fault codes that came on. Once sorted out, started the engine, and it would cut off at 2000rpm and not show any codes. After fiddling around the map with the laptop for a while, without any particular reason, the engine started working as normal and he proceeded to map the car on the dyno.

Once it was done, i took it for a test drive, and the same thing as in the beginning happened again: limp mode at 2000rpm. Took it back, laptop back on, no fault codes, he looked through the whole map and each menu again without finding any problems, and after a bit suddenly it worked again. So i started driving home, car worked great, and after a while i stopped for coffee. When i started the engine again: limp mode. And no matter what, i couldn't get it working properly again. So had to swap back the original ecu to get back home.

The tuner said there isn't really much he can do, since there was nothing to be found with the S300 manager program to point to the source of the limp mode. He said all he could think of was that there's some sort of compatibilty problem with the P28 and B18C4 that doesn't show on Hondata, and my best bet for now would be internet research. So here i am. I've searched the forum pretty thoroughly and read pretty much every thread with P28 on the title, but can't seem to figure this out. Has anyone had a similar problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 12:06 AM, dmrichards said:

I've just got the same ecu for mine but it's not ready to run yet. so I can't really comment. have you checked all the earths. on my old kswapped em2 I missed on earth off and it would turn over but wouldnt start. 

No i haven't, but runs just fine with the stock ecu so pretty much rules that one out.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:02 AM, noodels said:

Maybe a dry joint,could you send it back to htune for testing,hassle I know but..!

That's a possibility. I could, or maybe i can find someone here who could test it...