Vti-s Turbo project

KiNK43

15 hours ago, dr_broon said:

That's a cool way to do it then, bet it was a good road trip. 

Have seen soon crazy vids of stuff on the ring.. Would be nice to have it to yourself though :twisted:

It's not as daunting as you think. Been twice now.

I thinks it's about being reserved and getting a feel for it. Etiquette is generally good.  

I recon a lot of the accidents you see on YouTube are gonna be young daft drivers trying to prove something or just not knowing there's or there cars limit. 

Of course some genuinely unfortunate ones too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back on this project now. Constantly having issues with a flat battery cus car isn't daily driven.

So figured fit an isolator so can easily kill the power when parked up. At same time wanted to move the battery to the boot. 

Been fighting against s**tty weather and not managing to get anything done. Finally a dry few hours. Chose a slightly different battery that will go under the boot  floor.  Riveted a little plate to battery tray to hold fuse and isolator. Mounted it all up made up some cables. 

New catch can in old batts place as need 4 breathers now.

Hard decision to start on as it's been running so great. But time to disconnect everything and start swapping engine over. Eeeek

PXL_20221228_144324926.jpg

PXL_20230101_135217199.jpg

PXL_20221229_165123109.jpg

• Like 2

That's a neat solution is that Jake. 

Also, just noticed the foam tool/jack holder in the hatch is different to the deck - the deck one sits in the spare wheel. Quite like the one in the hatch there. 

Exciting stuff for the engine swap mate! 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, KiNK43 said:

Back on this project now. Constantly having issues with a flat battery cus car isn't daily driven.

So figured fit an isolator so can easily kill the power when parked up. At same time wanted to move the battery to the boot. 

Been fighting against s**tty weather and not managing to get anything done. Finally a dry few hours. Chose a slightly different battery that will go under the boot  floor.  Riveted a little plate to battery tray to hold fuse and isolator. Mounted it all up made up some cables. 

New catch can in old batts place as need 4 breathers now.

Hard decision to start on as it's been running so great. But time to disconnect everything and start swapping engine over. Eeeek

PXL_20221228_144324926.jpg

PXL_20230101_135217199.jpg

PXL_20221229_165123109.jpg

Wow! That makes y battery isolator look pants! I've just got the one that replaces the terminal with one with a thumbscrew that you can take out which disconnects the terminal. I take it you've got that one hooked up on the live side? Think mine is on the earth although could be wrong. 

As a heads up, even with the battery disconnected, DD's battery still looses charge. Did a bit of research and although disconnecting it does slow down how quickly it goes flat (mine was same, 2 weeks top to a totally flat battery) the battery will still eventually go flat. Just the way they are designed. 

I've went an bought a battery trickle charger/conditioner which supposedly keeps the battery in good health and stops it going flat. Haven't wired it up yet but will need to do it soon to see if it makes a difference. MINI battery is going the same way, although she does last a bit longer than 2 weeks lol.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Wow! That makes y battery isolator look pants! I've just got the one that replaces the terminal with one with a thumbscrew that you can take out which disconnects the terminal. I take it you've got that one hooked up on the live side? Think mine is on the earth although could be wrong. 

As a heads up, even with the battery disconnected, DD's battery still looses charge. Did a bit of research and although disconnecting it does slow down how quickly it goes flat (mine was same, 2 weeks top to a totally flat battery) the battery will still eventually go flat. Just the way they are designed. 

I've went an bought a battery trickle charger/conditioner which supposedly keeps the battery in good health and stops it going flat. Haven't wired it up yet but will need to do it soon to see if it makes a difference. MINI battery is going the same way, although she does last a bit longer than 2 weeks lol.

I do have a ctek conditioner. But not the best doesn't always kick back in and still end up with a flat.

Hopefully if can slow it down that will be still be better. Think my old battery just isn't as good as it was anyway. Maybe would last a week parked up if lucky. Usually only use the car when desperate, Mrs out etc. then go to start and it's dead. Nightmare lol.

Seen that type of isolator. Makes sense having it on the neg, however this combined with fuse so goes on live. And just press the button.

• Like 1

I didn't get round to disconnecting my battery before putting the car to sleep for the winter, but took it out for a spin on new year's day as it had been too warm for grit and we'd had loads of rain since the last time the gritters were out, so thought it was safe. 

Couldn't believe that it started on the second try - like you say, normally struggles after a week of being sat. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • KiNK43 locked and unlocked this topic