Hello from me and my MB4

benz66

Hi There

I just wanted to say a big hello to you all and to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I live in Bracknell, Berkshire. I'm a bit of a petrol head and for as long as I can remember I have been into cars, bikes and I follow most forms of motorsport. For a long time I have wanted a 'classic' Civic in my life but work and stuff have always got in the way, until quite recently that is. For a while I always leased cars as I've always seemed to need something new and reliable for work but since the end of last year I have been working from home and have coped with sharing my wifes car and walking lots! Recent family commitments meant we needed another car but I didn't want to be paying out loads monthly for something to sit on the drive so, enter the MB4! A motor dealer friend of mine took it as a part exchange and I got it from him for next to nothing. It's a little rough around the edges and has done over 160,000 miles but it's been well maintained and drives like a dream for a car that is 20 years old! Anyway, I have big plans for it going forward so will be looking for inspiration and advice from you all.

Sorry for the long intro but I don't get out much!

MB4_20190717_01.jpg

• Like 2

Not the gratest photo but you get the idea. Nearside is a little rougher where the wing was dented and scraped at some point in the past, new wing is on the list.. near the bottom :-D

Hi Ben. For the mileage, she looks in good shape. The D series engines are pretty bullet proof, even neglected ones will soldier on regardless, but if shes been regularly serviced youll be onto a winner. Always thought the D series was the most refined and smooth (although not the most powerful) engine Honda made. Ive had D series, B series and K and although my d series has no vtec, its really smooth and quiet.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this one, as theres lots of options including Turbo if you want power.

Plus the civic M's are the most practical civic having the 5 doors. Good all round cars!

PS: thats my old 5 door VTi (aka Ruby) in the forum banner/logo......not mine anymore and still miss here but she's still going strong. I've got my Aerodeck to keep me busy though along with my other cars!

• Like 1

Thank you Dave. Mines got the non-vtec D16W3 engine but runs like a dream. I'm going to service it over the weekend and remove the rear wiper, using the guide from the forum. Then I need to replace one of the engine mounts but I may upgrade them all while I'm at it. Then, the list is long ... Will also take me a while but I'll keep this thread updated with progress. I like your old car that is used for the forum image, very nice.

• Like 1

So my service uncovered a few further things that will need some attention. There is a patch of rust under the drivers footwell that spreads to the jacking point which looks like it was sort of repaired at some point. Looks like my welding course was not in vain! Front suspension is also in need of some attention, nearside is bouncy and offside is not! Suspension is on my list anyway but MOT is due in a few weeks so I may wait and see what else is uncovered before spending any money. The rear wiper delete went well though, thanks to the guide on the forum, the rear end looks so much better! That's all for now as work is taking all my time at present. Be safe one and all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone could help. I originally posted this question in the chassis section which was probably the wrong thing to do so I apologise. I need to replace an engine mount and was thinking of replacing them all with a set from Hardrace. I've asked them which ones would be compatable for my MB4 and they are asking me whether those for EK/EJ/EM Civics are the same? Also, would this be the same for suspension bushes? Please can someone confirm of deny this for me. Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any direct reference to it.

Ben

23 hours ago, benz66 said:

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone could help. I originally posted this question in the chassis section which was probably the wrong thing to do so I apologise. I need to replace an engine mount and was thinking of replacing them all with a set from Hardrace. I've asked them which ones would be compatable for my MB4 and they are asking me whether those for EK/EJ/EM Civics are the same? Also, would this be the same for suspension bushes? Please can someone confirm of deny this for me. Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any direct reference to it.

Ben

Hi Guys, Please ignore this post as I got my answer from the SOS section, thank you @Gel @KiNK43

Morning Guys,

Sadly my MB4 failed it's MOT last week, mechanically sound but severe rust under drivers footwell, offside sill and offside jacking point. (a common problem as I can see from other forum posts) I wasn't too suprised as this is what I uncovered when I serviced the car a few weeks back but I didn't appreciate that it was quite so bad. Guy at the test centre said it wasn't worth getting it repaired due to the cost of the welding but I'm not giving up that easily. I did a welding course last year and am kean to put it to use so the plan is to try and save it myself. To begin with I'm going to get it up on ramps and clean the entire area of concern with a wire brush and see exactly what I'm dealing with. I'll post some pictures at that point but won't be able to get to that for a couple of weeks due to other commitments. I apprciate that I haven't had the car for long but it's really grown on me and I really want to keep it alive if I can. Wish me luck!

Ben