b18c4 mb6 no vtec and ticking noise

Junior92

Question

Started my mb6 the other day after a year of being stood, puff of white smoke from exhaust and back of engine for a few seconds which then cleared up, rattling noise coming from back on intake manifold which slows down when engine is warm so sounds like tick tick. The temp gauge will not go over 1/3 so its me thinking engine is not getting warm enough as vtec does not engage or is it because I have an alloy radiator. Forgot to mention I checked oil first thing before starting and there is enough, the oil is also 3 years old but only done 200 miles and also most importantly a few weeks ago I changed my manifold to aftermarket and noticed the last manifold port is stained in dried oily residue, not sure why. Can anyone help please because this car has been stood for 3 years and I want to bring it back on road this time and not leave it parked up for another year.

2 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, Junior92 said:

Started my mb6 the other day after a year of being stood, puff of white smoke from exhaust and back of engine for a few seconds which then cleared up, rattling noise coming from back on intake manifold which slows down when engine is warm so sounds like tick tick. The temp gauge will not go over 1/3 so its me thinking engine is not getting warm enough as vtec does not engage or is it because I have an alloy radiator. Forgot to mention I checked oil first thing before starting and there is enough, the oil is also 3 years old but only done 200 miles and also most importantly a few weeks ago I changed my manifold to aftermarket and noticed the last manifold port is stained in dried oily residue, not sure why. Can anyone help please because this car has been stood for 3 years and I want to bring it back on road this time and not leave it parked up for another year.

From what you've said so far, I'd put the faults down as:

1. Ticking noise - Probably a sticky/dry valve or tappet. Could also be the gasket on the manifold blowing (You mention the manifold has been changed, I take it it's the exhaust mani and not the inlet?)
  2. Temp not getting up to operating temp - When you changed to the alloy radiator, did you fully bleed the cooling system? These can be a biatch to bleed thoroughly on the 1.8 B series.Also check the thermostat is working. These are cheap as chips to buy and easy to fit so might be worth while fitting a new one to be sure. Again, coolant system will need bled after changing thermostat.
  3. No VTEC - Unless engine is up to temp, you won't get VTEC (see No 2 above). Other causes for this are the VTEC solenoid itself is faulty, or it might just need the wee mesh filter inside it cleaned out. Very easy to do.
  4. Manifold stained - Again, this would most likely point to the gasket failing, letting the fumes out which causes staining. This would also give you a slight tick/puff noise.

What grade of oil was put in at the oil change as these engines do require the correct grade, especially for the VTEC to engage properly. If the car has been sitting for any length of time, it may be worthwhile removing the main ignition lead so the engine won't start but will turn over. Let it turn over for a good 15 - 20 seconds to get the oil around all parts before it fires up as it will most likely have drained back down into the sump with the car sitting so long, meaning the top end will be dry initially.

Let us know how you get on, and hope this helps.

Dave

21 hours ago, Dave said:

These can be a biatch to bleed thoroughly on the 1.8 B series.

Check out this how to...

Especially the part about giving the hoses a squeeze.  Check that both the top hose and bottom hose are both getting warm, if not there might be an air lock so giving them a squeeze can help :civic5rocks3:

To be honest, I've just done this from point 7 onwards and it's sorted it. 

7 years ago... Jeez... 

• Like 2