B18 starts then dies instantly

dmrichards

Question

Hi

I've been looking all over the internet to find out possible causes/solutions to this issue I'm currently having with my vti aerodeck.

Its got the factory B18c4 engine that I've put a turbo on. Nothing internally has been changed. Just bigger 'grams 750cc' injectors, skunk2 Pro series inlet and throttle, exhaust and hondata s300.

I'm also having problems with my skunk2 throttle body sticking but I don't believe this to be causing the other problem.

So what I've tried so far:

Removed and cleaned the throttle
set up the TPS sensor
removed and cleaned the Idle control valve
checked and cleaned my earths
removed the main relay, this has no signs of any issues and my fuel pump primes with the ignition on.
I've re uploaded the map from my tuner
adjusted my idle and throttle cable

I'm yet to change my ignition switch, as soon as that turns up that will be changed and I will update.

The finial thing I checked was my vacuum hoses, I did this by spraying carb cleaner around various spots around the vacuum hoses/inlet to see if the engine note changed.

This did around the back of my inlet, around the various vacuum fittings that come on the back of the skunk2 inlet. I've got a AEM sensor in the back for my boost gauge. I'm hoping something has worked loose and is drawing in excessive air. But I'm not holding out much luck.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so what cured the problem for yourself?

Thank's,
Dan.

2 hours ago, noodels said:

Hows the spark on cranking,

dizzy springs to mind

http://techauto.tripod.com/

That's something I've not checked to he honest. But the plugs and leads are not old and the cap and rotor are the same I bought new genuine honda bits to swap them. I did remove the cap and clean the points up. 

18 minutes ago, KiNK43 said:

Check basics like spark as above. Dizzys are a common fail. Do you have standard ecu, map sensor and Injectors? Try them See if works then. 

ive got a hondata s300 ecu, after market map sensor and injectors all of witch i bought new and they've not had many miles on them. 

this weekend ill be checking the spark plus/spark and removing the inlet and checking all the fittings on the back of it.

2 minutes ago, KiNK43 said:

Does it stay running if you press accelarator a little?

Yeah, I've got to hold the throttle open slightly. once its been running for a few minutes I can slowly release my foot from the accelerator and it'll idle.  

54 minutes ago, KiNK43 said:

In that case. Unplug iacv and Check base idle is set correct using idle screw on throttle body and check iacv works. 

Check TPS is calibrated correctly and tight.

every time I've adjusted the idle I've left it plugged in, would that be the wrong way to set the idle then? 

With the tps thats calibrated and tight, I'm between 0.4v & 0.5v closed throttle and 4.5v wide open throttle. 

Yeah should set it with Iacv unplugged. And usually a link in the 2 pin service plug. Altho sometimes that link is used for a different function on hondata software. So maybe check in the program.

TPS is correct for OEM. But again depends what range is locked in on the hondata.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:00 PM, KiNK43 said:

Yeah should set it with Iacv unplugged. And usually a link in the 2 pin service plug. Altho sometimes that link is used for a different function on hondata software. So maybe check in the program.

TPS is correct for OEM. But again depends what range is locked in on the hondata.

tried what you said. I unplugged the sensor, slackened  off the throttle cable and started from scratch. Once I'd finished it did fire up and keep running so i thought I'd solved it. Untill this morning. i had to hold the throttle open again. But it is alot better than it has been, i'd also sorted the vac leak that seemed to be coming from my boost guage sensor. I've adjusted the idle again so we will see in the morning if that's cracked it.