Plea from a cyclist

dr_broon

Hi all, 

Just wanted to ask that everyone is aware of bikes (pedal and motor) at junctions... Especially this time of year. Because of the small front area it's hard to judge how quickly they are coming towards you. 

Last night someone wiped me out at a crossroads in the middle of Newcastle by turning right (slowly) when I was going straight ahead. Luckily I've escaped with bruises and a cracked carbon fork, but someone less able to bounce would have been much worse. 

The same applies on fast roads with motorbikes, but the results are much worse, as they will be doing much more than the 20mph I was doing. 

Cheers guys. 

• Like 1

Thought that was you I saw on the news. Looked like you farted when approaching the junction, which had a similar effect to "vtec just kicked in Yo", so hard to determine how quickly you were approaching.

Lol just kidding mate! When I was last out on the bike the thing that I felt was utterly vulnerable and scared. I tried my best to keep close to the kerb (which initself poses even more risks if your pedal catches the kerb plus pedestrians suddenly stepping out) when riding down the high street here but even then trucks were like cm's away from me. Approaching junctions basically felt like playing roulette. On saying that, been thinking that depending where our new house (if we ever bloody find it) I might be able to get the train to the far end of town where I work and bike it in from there. Wouldnt be as hardcore as you though! Could only do it in the warmer weather lol (I'm old so it's allowed!! crazy.gif1 )

Glad you're ok mate, as a cyclist/biker always comes off worst against cars/other vehicles. Hope you gave the idiot a rollicking! It's not just the injuries you get when you land after hitting a car etc, it's the injuries you can potentially get depending where you land. Land on the side of oncoming traffic and it can be horrific, and sadly sometimes fatal.

Hope you get the bike fixed soon bud seeya.gif1

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Aye, just a bit sore. Always thought it'd be a close pass that i got knocked off from. 

3 times?! Crikey. 

Yes twice on the same road people turning left across me. 

And third one someone overtook me wide then cut in front and pulled over. Then swung there door out, went straight into it. Caught my foot blood everywhere bout ripped my big toe off lol

1 hour ago, KiNK43 said:

Yes twice on the same road people turning left across me. 

And third one someone overtook me wide then cut in front and pulled over. Then swung there door out, went straight into it. Caught my foot blood everywhere bout ripped my big toe off lol

Bloody hell. 

Most of my commute is off road, but once I get into Newcastle there's no choice but to mix it up with the traffic. 

14 hours ago, Dave said:

Thought that was you I saw on the news. Looked like you farted when approaching the junction, which had a similar effect to "vtec just kicked in Yo", so hard to determine how quickly you were approaching.

Lol just kidding mate! When I was last out on the bike the thing that I felt was utterly vulnerable and scared. I tried my best to keep close to the kerb (which initself poses even more risks if your pedal catches the kerb plus pedestrians suddenly stepping out) when riding down the high street here but even then trucks were like cm's away from me. Approaching junctions basically felt like playing roulette. On saying that, been thinking that depending where our new house (if we ever bloody find it) I might be able to get the train to the far end of town where I work and bike it in from there. Wouldnt be as hardcore as you though! Could only do it in the warmer weather lol (I'm old so it's allowed!! crazy.gif1 )

Glad you're ok mate, as a cyclist/biker always comes off worst against cars/other vehicles. Hope you gave the idiot a rollicking! It's not just the injuries you get when you land after hitting a car etc, it's the injuries you can potentially get depending where you land. Land on the side of oncoming traffic and it can be horrific, and sadly sometimes fatal.

Hope you get the bike fixed soon bud seeya.gif1

I normally make sure I'm in a good place in the lane to stop people making silly passes (like at islands). 

I certainly did.. I think that's why he didn't get out the car. I was already shooting and swearing before I hit it. angrymod.gif1

• Haha 1