D16 or B18

IkyMB1

Question

Hi

I have a civic mb1 sr with a D16Y2 and I'm looking for more power but nothing crazy.

Would it be worth modifying the d16?

I havent driven a B18 and I've been planning on getting one for ages so, would it be best to swap the B18 into my sr or save up for a clean mb6 and start from there?

So far I just have a toyosports exhaust manifold and a unknown catback system.

52k mileage

Some rust to the arches, no idea what the sills are like

20191027_160603.jpg

20191019_125048.jpg

20191027_160538.jpg

The prefacelift civic M's are rare in the uk now adays mate, the MB1 SR is uber rare. I'd be tempted to mod the original engine if it's in good shape. B18 DOHC VTECwill give you 169BHP standard out of the box and can be taken up over 200BHP, but it drives totally different to the D series SOHC VTEC. Another reason why I'd keep it original.

Yeah according to howmanyleft theres only around 15 SR mb civics left on the roads.

I guess I'll keep the original engine and modify it while saving up for an mb6 on the side.

Also I cant seem to find much info on the D16Y2, I assume all D16 engines are similar when it comes to mods?

D series is a sweet engine, feels smoother that the B series in my opinion. But did love the B18 when I had Ruby, she could embarass a lot more expensive cars (she did quite regulary)! 

Have a look at Mae-Civic, she's tastefully modded her French MB1 (also in white like yours). Still running the D series too. Yoir mb1 remionds me of hers alot, love them both!

Yeah iv had an mb3 with the d15 and the difference between the d15 and d16 is amazing, Cant imagine what a b18 feels like lol.

I could only dream of my mb1 being as clean as hers haha it's too clean.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skipday09 said:

Just gonna jump on here lol am I right in saying that I can vtec my original engine?

You can retro fit it, involves changing the head etc. Think it's known as a "mini-me"

29 minutes ago, IkyMB1 said:

Yeah iv had an mb3 with the d15 and the difference between the d15 and d16 is amazing, Cant imagine what a b18 feels like lol.

I could only dream of my mb1 being as clean as hers haha it's too clean.

I found the MB3 1.5 quite decent power wise. My fellow admin DAVEMB2 has an MB3 as his daily which he's modded (naturally! lol) and think it is sitting at 125bhp? Feels really nippy, and gets over 400miles to a tank of fuel!!

First time I drove a B18 (mate on here jalesi2001 had a VTi and gave me a shot) I was totally hooked! That's what convinced me to go find my own, hence Ruby. Has to be in my top two most fun cars I've owned! The VTEC crossover sounds amazing in them and they just seem to rev forever!! Highly recommend getting a passenger ride/drive an mb6, you'll be laughing you're head off!

:-D