Martin's VTiS Aerodeck

martinw

18 hours ago, noodels said:

Hi from Norfolk :cool:

Hi Noodels, hope to see your car around sometime (colour ?). You going to Jap Auto Extravaganza at the showground in August ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmrichards said:

My vti is from Norfolk :-P 

Anytime I see any for sale they always seem to be in Norfolk 

The car is now in Norfolk but spent nearly its whole life from new more in your area (Morecambe). From there it found its way to Birmingham where I bought it. Morecambe is where I was born - strange how things work out …...

Thought I would add some interior pics etc, all original as far as I know …...

Some wear to cloth on drivers seat in first pic plus vtis drivers mat (holed) removed in 2nd pic. Found that embroidered patch was just glued on to mat (pic shows it removed), so plan is to get a new plain black mat and glue the patch back on.

3rd pic shows carbon trim on dash and centre console (original or option on VTiS ?) and original Pioneer radio/cassette (got the manual with the bookpack).

Then back seats. "Bobbling" to cloth at rear base of front seats will be shaved off.

Especially from condition of boot trim/carpets, leather in general and the dog hairs and dirt everywhere it was obvious that this car had been used for a long time as a dog carrier. What I didn't expect was that the dog hairs had pervaded everwhere - even behind the boot trim panels ! (as shown in the next few pics). And on the headlining above the boot.

As you might expect, the interior is going to take a lot of work, mostly on the leather, before its back up to scratch.

Once I realised how dirty and dog-infested the car was, thought I better take a look at the pollen filter. Surprisingly there weren't many dog hairs in there but there were a hell of a lot of leaves. In the filter, in the filter compartment and in the fan (as shown in the next few pics). Cleared all that out and fitted new filter. What I don't get is - how do leaves of that size get through the grille on the scuttle ??

Anyway, currently working on more important stuff - rustproofing …..

More later 

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

• Like 1

Wow looks tidy generally. 

But the dog hair situation is impressive. Must have been a right fur ball in there!!

Reminding me to look in the pollen filter aswell bet there's all sorts of junk in there.

What's your master plan? Restoring the  whole car?

12 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Wow looks tidy generally. 

But the dog hair situation is impressive. Must have been a right fur ball in there!!

Reminding me to look in the pollen filter aswell bet there's all sorts of junk in there.

What's your master plan? Restoring the  whole car?

Yeh, still finding dog hairs in the carpets and upholstery even though some of the boot carpets and trim had been cleaned before I bought it.  Leather needs attention …..

Master plan is to first address the small amount of rust at front end first (working on that at the moment). Underside has been rustproofed previously (possibly by Honda dealer) and overall is not bad. Had the sideskirts off and sills are ok but they weren't undersealed so have done that and will be injecting inside sills. Need to also re-seal where the welding was done at rear end. 

After that want to go through the mechanics, cooling, brakes and suspension bringing them all up to scratch but leaving them standard for now.

Then, on to the body......

So guess it will be a full restoration. Don't want to even start thinking about mods until I've at least got a reliable car that looks half decent as a baseline  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Know what I said about not thinking about mods yet ? - well the slippery slope has already started......

Mentioned earlier that I had removed the corroded foglights. So started looking for an alternative, as some people were asking extortionate prices for secondhand originals. Recalled seeing that someone had fitted Ring lights so looked on their site and quite liked the look of their Ice Blue driving lights (BRL0368) and they looked the right oval shape to fit in the apertures. But could not find any retailer who had them in stock. So looked on Ebay, still couldn't find them. But someone had a boxed pair of Ring Ice Blue driving lamps under a different (earlier?) part number BRL04582 and luckily included pics of the box which gave dimensions for the lights. Looked like they might be a very good fit. So for 20 quid (incl post), ordered them. 

When they arrived, found the shape and size were nigh on perfect for the apertures. So next onto how to mount them.

The old foglights had been removed complete with mounting frame (3 screws which came out easily). The top 2 mounting screws are pretty central to the original centre of the light and they are square to the front of the car. So thought if I make up some right-angle brackets to fit - see how they go with the protusion through the surrounds. Had already spliced the original connectors to the Ring wiring with spade connectors. Fortunately by leaving a little bit of slack on all the screw connectors the foglight surrounds went on first time with a bit of jiggling and the protusion looks about right.

They are a clear lens with a dark blue/purple ring on the outer glass. Have tried them and they give a clear light but you can see the blue ring illuminated.

Quite pleased with them …….. 

(oh, and the surrounds have been smoothed and sprayed)

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0273.JPG

DSC_0276_LI.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good. I have the older ring fog lights, but used the old bracket and was never happy with the angle once the cover was back on as it made them point upwards too much to be used as fog lights, basically were just a cosmetic improvement over the knackered original ones. Your bracket looks like a much better plan 8-)

• Like 1