Thanks guys, they've transformed the car from a handling perspective...but they have now also highlighted how poor the coilovers are, as ride comfort has gone through the floor thanks to the stiffer sidewalls.

Hadn't had much opportunity to do much to the car beyond change tyres on it until lockdown and then furlough, but since then I've had a lot of spare time on my hands. Mechanically, haven't done anything other than remove the resonator from the airbox.

Managed to get the paint looking a bit better; washed twice, clayed, polished, waxed and then sealed:

49829074748_969f5730af_b.jpg

49829497603_db1a8101a2_b.jpg

49829897752_6121802718_b.jpg

Just in time for the weather to turn! 

Also managed to sort the knackered door cards...for now. Absolutely no idea how long it'll hold for, but it seems to have taken well. 

49829028908_634cbf2e66_b.jpg

49829019013_67af2ceba1_b.jpg

49829022313_d1c60e89e5_b.jpg

49829849862_6ebb56d64f_b.jpg

Currently spraying the grille chrome a high gloss black, both the surround and the badge were too far gone to save. Tried cleaning them up but it just highlighted how pitted the chrome was.

Interior deep clean is next, and an attempt to try refeed the leather on the seats, but I think the drivers side base is too far gone... beyond that, shopping list is now stupid long but with everything that's going on, I'm holding off on any big purchases for now...or trying to at least. 

• Like 1

Thanks mate - pics flatter it a lot!! It's still covered in light scratches and there's paint flaking in places. Going to enquire with our bodyshop at work when we all return...

This colour is an absolute nightmare mate. My advice is to not be too ocd with it because you will forever be working on it.

Mine is a tidy car like yours, Had some paintwork recently aswell.

But to keep it looking good. .have to polish it every time it's washed as it gets light scratches so easily. 

Also it looks dusty / dirty 15 mins after you clean it lol.

It's a beautiful colour but it truly is a nightmare to maintain if you have OCD.

Looking good. Like Jake says, PB is a beautiful colour but a nightmare to keep clean. The purple is a joy, but unless its just been cleaned, its wet, or the sun catches it right it just hides 

Cheers guys - yeah, it was good to do the once...won't be doing to that level again any time again soon. My back is still killing me! 

On 4/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, KiNK43 said:

This colour is an absolute nightmare mate. My advice is to not be too ocd with it because you will forever be working on it.

Mine is a tidy car like yours, Had some paintwork recently aswell.

But to keep it looking good. .have to polish it every time it's washed as it gets light scratches so easily. 

Also it looks dusty / dirty 15 mins after you clean it lol.

It's a beautiful colour but it truly is a nightmare to maintain if you have OCD.

Haha, yeah it looked awful all of five minutes later when it was covered in pollen, and was covered in bird s**t the following morning...but for those five minutes it looked glorious! Had a read through your thread, what a car. If this turns out half as good, I'd be happy with that! 

• Like 2

Yeah so nice when clean. Mines filthy again too and it's in garage. Just covered in dust where it comes from I don't know but who cares anyway. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Haven't had chance to update this as much as I would have liked of late - largely as the missus lost her job the week after I was wanging on about cleaning this thing...

Still, managed to get some bits sorted - chief of which was new discs and pads all round, as the rears were past the wear bars after a weekend's heavy driving with my mate in his FK8...The thing actually stops now, and doesn't wail like two foxes going at it when in reverse - which is always a bonus. 

I say I sorted it, the chaps in the workshop sorted it and I stood there taking photos...

50236714061_2c36cddd6e_c.jpg

Also had to get the rear box repaired as I reversed in to a kerb that was way higher than first anticipated and I ended up ripping it clean off the mounts... replacing/ repairing it was way more effort than a new back box ever has the right to be. Several phone calls to 'custom' places to be repeatedly told that unless I was after a full system they weren't interested, to other suppliers that had nothing in stock with a week the shortest wait... ended up finding a small engineering firm a stone's throw from our place that plated the holes, welded new hangers on and rehung it so it is now flush with the bumper for less than £80. 

Two last niggles that need sorting - Window regulator disintegrated the other evening so the window's now wedged on top of three offcuts of wood... So is there anyone local to Surrey that has a drivers side front window regulator kicking around? Or know where to buy one from? Have looked at multiple sites now and have been left none the wiser as they all claim to be correct for the model year, but are wildly different in shape?! Have found one for a Rover 400 from Rimmer Bros, but they have two in stock that look identical, but are around £300 different in price?! 

Last niggle is the rear trailing arm bushes are knackered...again, anyone recommend a good online shop for bits? Struggling to find anything that remotely lines up...

• Like 2