Rear disc shields ?

martinw

Question

In the process of refurbing the rear brakes discovered that the (dust ?) shields were in a pretty bad state. Corroded but holding one side, almost falling off the other. That one, after leaning on it, did come off.

Seem to be difficult to find (and Honda only have one side at over 40 quid) and to replace will prob have to remove hub/bearing. Securing bolt heads are badly corroded and no doubt threads will be seized - bolt snaps, then have to tap them out .

Questions are - do people just leave the shields off in this case (apparently in the States/Canada, they do), and if so could it be an MOT fail over here ?

If I do try to put them back on, is there any firm doing them for a reasonable price ?

Mine are still on at present.

I removed them on my previous car never had an issue with mot.

And Intend to do the same on my current car. Wouldn't worry about it 

Edited by KiNK43

4 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Mine are still on at present.

I removed them on my previous car never had an issue with mot.

And Intend to do the same on my current car. Wouldn't worry about it 

Thanks for that.

To be clear, I am talking about the shields behind the discs, not the (plastic?) shields above the calipers.

On mine, the caliper shields were already missing when I got the car. Bracket and bolts for these still in place (probably seized). Not intending to replace caliper shields.

Believe I would only think about replacing disc shields if I was working on the hub/ bearings anyway. Meanwhile, will leave them off...…...

The rear bearings are a doddle to remove mate, least they were on Ruby. Them and the hub are one complete unit so easy to replace. I'd like to replace the rear disc shields and the caliper shields on DD too. They aint too bad, but would like brand new ones as the bottom edge of them has become jagged and thin. Fronts are the same. Don't fancy payong Honda's price though, that's bloody robbery right there!

Thanks all ….

Would like to replace the rear disc shields but think its going to be a long term search for NOS, or by chance someone is breaking with some shields in good nick (unlikely? and can they get them off without damage?).

Caliper shields (first time I've come across these on any of the cars I've worked on) - discontinued by Honda.

Haven't got on to front brakes yet but suspect disc shields for those are also going to be poor - also discontinued by Honda.

Hi 

I did this stuff to my mb2 a year ago.

Front and rear brakes overhaul with new disc shields front and rear.

All parts were mg zs fitment.

I used rimmerbros for disc shields all around.

Rear part numbers.

SMD000080

SMD000090

just checked still showing in stock around 25 each.

Hope this helps

• Like 2