Engine Swap + Turbo: Share, Advise, Suggest

KeirML

I would like your wisdom,

*Thought I'd put this here rather than in SOS, as this is more like a discussion and sharing of experiences*

So for context, got my MB2 1.4 around this time last year and straight away I was thinking about modding, but I decided to have patience and restricted myself and kept it all stock excluding the steering wheel and seats. It's been a trooper of a car, but now this is where the fun begins.

Originally I wanted to do a K swap but then I matured and realised I was in over my head, so now the plan is to source a D16Y8 SOHC VTEC, and swap that in, then turbo it.

I currently have a D14A8 SOHC non-VTEC.

So I just want to get input of the good people who know a lot more than me:

- I'm assuming since I'm swapping in another SOHC D series engine, it should be pretty straight forward, however I still have questions such as what other components can I keep and what else I would need to replace (such as the ECU).

- If anyone is adept with turbo-ing d series I would love to know what kits are good (I know ebay ones have gotten better but you can tell me if any are worth it), or if you put together your own kit then what the shopping list was. Also I would more than welcome suggestions of trusted professionals who can help without ripping me off (I am based in Chatham, Kent)

- And if you have a d series turbo build I would love to hear about the power gains, reliability and cost (time and money).

D16Y8 is approx 125hp, and with a turbo I would aim to get this to 210 - 230hp, please let me know if this is reasonable or crazy and what would be more realistic to expect from a daily driver turbo build.

I'm also aware that (when turbo-ing) that I would need to upgrade the intake and exhaust too and would welcome recommendations.

And if you want more topics to dive into, I would appreciate suggestions of good upgrades to my brakes for the power I want to make, and let me know if I would only need to upgrade components such as the pads or if it would be necessary to upgrade the whole thing.

Overall I just want to find the most cost effecitve way to make my car more fun and also reliable, can't wait to hear your guys' experiences :D 

You are all much appreciated.

Your power expectations seem fair.

Personally I'd buy parts indivually.

Even good Kits have issues. For example I baught a racetech kit. It didn't fit then the turbo was faulty and the manifold kept cracking was awful.

I would splash out on a decent manifold. You want a good strong 3mm walled manifold. Not one of these flimsy shiny eBay ones, they will crack constantly and be a pain in your arse.

Reliability.. you can make a reliable turbo setup. But turboing a stock engine you always going to be waiting for the day it goes pop imo. 

Maybe it never will and it will be fine. But it's a ticking time bomb, but if mapped properly and looked after at that power could be fine for many years. But if it does pop take it as part of the fun and fix it.

Shopping list. Well you need a turbo. Something smallish. 

Manifold, wastegate, downpipe and exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, ECU a p28 to start with and a hondata s300 if you want but not required, a clutch, Oil feed and return lines. bov if you want one. I don't bother personally with bov. And an intercooler and pipework. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Your power expectations seem fair.

Personally I'd buy parts indivually.

Even good Kits have issues. For example I baught a racetech kit. It didn't fit then the turbo was faulty and the manifold kept cracking was awful.

I would splash out on a decent manifold. You want a good strong 3mm walled manifold. Not one of these flimsy shiny eBay ones, they will crack constantly and be a pain in your arse.

Reliability.. you can make a reliable turbo setup. But turboing a stock engine you always going to be waiting for the day it goes pop imo. 

Maybe it never will and it will be fine. But it's a ticking time bomb, but if mapped properly and looked after at that power could be fine for many years. But if it does pop take it as part of the fun and fix it.

Shopping list. Well you need a turbo. Something smallish. 

Manifold, wastegate, downpipe and exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, ECU a p28 to start with and a hondata s300 if you want but not required, a clutch, Oil feed and return lines. bov if you want one. I don't bother personally with bov. And an intercooler and pipework. 

Great stuff there!

Do you know a place that makes it easy to put together a list of parts that I know will fit the car? And are there any specific parts you would recommend?

Do you know any clutches that would be great for this without making the car super harsh to drive?

Also in terms of ECU, is this what I'd be after? https://www.tegiwaimports.com/hondata-s300-ready-equipped-obd1-p28-vtec-ecu-package.html

And last of all, just so I'm more educated, what is the purpose of the blow off valve? (since you said you don't bother with them) I do like the sound so I'll likely get one anyway.

Spot on advice from Jake. We have had a few turbo'd D series in the club, even a D1.6 auto that was turbo'd. Tyr the search function to search the forum for them as they might have interesting info in there that you can use.

For professionals, Rich (civicturbo79 on here) runs Dynodaze in Hinckley. He built one of the first turbos we had in the club, was a stunning mb6 he turned into a B20 turbo. Amazing bit of kit. He will have loads of info for you, and nice guy to speak to (was a moderator on here at one point too).

Nice to see another D series Civic M being turbo'd.

• Like 1

BOV vents the pressure in the intercooler pipework to atmosphere when the throttle closes. 

If you don't run one, then that air will have to makes it way back to the turbo.

Some info suggests that this stalls the turbo. I don't think it's a major issues at all especially with low boost levels like this.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hondata right now. Just run a socketed P28 and find a tuner that uses Crome or similar software. 

• Like 2