Help heater stopped working and temp needle rises

kalvtec

I dont know if these 2 are related but today went out and heater didnt even come on at any speeds so i thought yeh heater resister it must be....ive replaced one in previous civic and its easy i know, although that was cos it didnt work on speeds 1 & 2 more commonly but this time its gone completely.

Whats more worrying to me now is and im hoping its nothing major, is that later that day i went in the car wash and noticed the temp needle very slowly creeps up past the normal half way mark.... at first i really thought my eyes are playing with me but later i tried again by letting it idle and it did the same thing again. I checked the lower and upper hoses and they were both hot so not sure wat this is but please tell me this is just a bad thermostat?? Or is the failed heater causing this...

Any help appreciated want to sort this soon my cars very well looked aftered all its life so bit worried.

Thanks

Check the basics mate. Oil and Coolant levels (when cold obviously)

Make sure the fan comes on and goes off as expected.

And assuming there ok a new thermostat would be a good idea I'd say.

Hopefully nothing more serious.

As for your heater I'd suggest it's unrelated and sounds like a fuse may have gone. That would be the first place to look.

• Like 2

Hi

Thank you so much kink....

Oil and water has always been fine and still is, i check them regularly.

I will double check today if fan still comes on, i gave it a major service earlier this year inc new coolant and everything was fine although i didnt change the thermostat.

The fuse in the engine looks fine visually but i didnt have tester to check it.

I have pulled out the heater resister and the coils on one side was absolutely toasted so for now i blame that and have ordered a new ceramic one like i did previously (mg rover one).

Will update how it goes...

Edit* 

Any idea if i can get the right thermostat from honda or will autoparts one be ok?

Aftermarket one should be fine.

Sounds like you have found your heater issue.

Hopefully the slight overheating is not a major issue.

Its been warm out. But like I say check the fan is working as it should be coming in and off as required. And fit a new stat as there cheap enough. And go from there.

• Like 2

Thought id give an update here.

Not as simple as i was hoping with these issues, really frustrating as i have work now for next 3 days so cant do much with taking it to the garage.

Just hoping carry on driving doesnt do more damage.

With the heater issue, i ordered the new resistor and should have it by weds.

However, my uncle who is auto electrician has checked few things like the fuse and heater motor and even says my resistor is still good also which im baffled by. He said he needs to investigate further into the relay as the problem lies somewhere along the line.

With the over heating again no luck yet.

Ive changed the thermostat and found the new one to have the rubber seal a bit too small to fit into the housing so i used the old one as it still looked good to me.

It all went well for me first time doing this job but i had a nightmare with bleeding the cooling system after refilling the coolant i had drained before removing the thermostat.

It seems to me that not only is it having trouble expelling air if any, the fan aint kicking in either.

Made a bit of a mess around the radiator with the coolant being wasted and used quite a bit of the spare honda coolant i had saved hoping not to run out of it as i didnt fancy buying more. Duh...

Its still overheats if left on idle for a certain time, took to a mechanic who was busy but had a quick look and couldnt tell me much but pointed a number of culprits like could be water pump, fan switch, the radiator or air pockets blah blah.

The cambelt is overdue tho i think and although its been done twice before, i doubt the waterpump has been touched yet its now on 125k....

I hate how i feel with a passion, my old mg zs did this but worse after 2 years of headgasket change and one of the reasons why i gave up on it...but this is a honda i aint giving up no matter what, if it goes pop, let it grrrr!

Good excuse for a engine swap...

Could it be the blower motor that's gone? I had to swap mine years ago after it seized. 

Bleeding is a pain... Having the cars nose up helps (parked up hill is easiest). 

Hi

As above my uncle checked the motor and said its fine..

Ive done some reading and wish i did come across the bleeding info beforehand, will try this front end up soon.

I have a question im wondering about, like i said in my first post that i serviced the car earlier this year with fresh coolant and all was good i had the fan kick in in half hour twice and must have expelled the air otherwise i would have had this issue back then aswell

What I want to know is about this air lock thing, does this only happen when bleeding the car after coolant change or can air lock in the system happen anyway out of no where?

Unlikely it would get air in system of was bled properly before unless the coolant level had dropped significantly.

I find when bleeding the system if you get it about there then just go for a drive the increased engine speed will usually expell any air into the expansion tank. Make sure the heater are set to hot.

So next step is to go through the fan system.

You say the car tends to overheat when idling and the fan isn't coming on..

I would check the fan works by disconnecting the fan switch which is usually on the thermostat housing.

And link the pins in the plug with a piece of wire, bypassing the fan switch.

If the fan comes on then next check the fan switch. 

If fan doesn't come on when you link that plug out, then there's a fault either with the fan or wiring or fuse has gone etc etc.

Edited by KiNK43
  • Thanks 1

Just to update

I havent done much about this due to work but driving the car daily to work everything seems normal and no symptoms of overheating and im not losing any coolant but i havent checked again what it will do if i let it idle for long enough not that i want to anyway i hate seeing that...

As for the heater, i fitted the new ceramic mg rover resistor today and it seems my uncle was right......still no heaters damn it!