Cheers guys, proper pleased with how its turned out! Definitely improves the front end so much.

10 hours ago, AJCivic said:

Love the look of this car, the VTIS lip with the big fogs in that colour just looks superb mate! 

Mods look great so far as well, is this a base model, 1.4iS or a sport? 

It's the iS model, got Air con but other than that really basic

On 11/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, dan1 said:

Cheers guys, proper pleased with how its turned out! Definitely improves the front end so much.

It's the iS model, got Air con but other than that really basic

Indeed, it looks good. Keep us posted. :-)

Yeah fair enough mine is base model so don't even have the rear disc brakes or ABS :-( Can't miss what you've never had though! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AJCivic said:

Indeed, it looks good. Keep us posted. :-)

Yeah fair enough mine is base model so don't even have the rear disc brakes or ABS :-( Can't miss what you've never had though! 

Yeah same mine has drums and no abs too!  Guess the iS just adds ac? Have been keeping an eye out for some rear discs to do a conversion at some point but cant justify it at the moment. 

Gotta love a base model though, less to go wrong! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dan1 said:

Guess the iS just adds ac?

The good old Honda equipment levels in models can be hit or miss. All depends on what the first owner optioned in a lot of cases. My pre facelift MA8 1.4i was the base model, but had been optioned with the electric pack, alloys and mica metallic paint. So basic Civic but had electric mirrors (also heated, with separate switch for this), electric tilt/slide glass sunroof, electric front windows (wind up rears). The mirrors, even though fully electric, were plain black plastic housings, not colour coded. Bumpers were only half colour coded (which looked nuts!). Bloody brilliant wee car though, never ever went wrong in the 8 years or so we owned it.

• Like 1

Yeah things were a bit weird on the pre facelift models from the looks of it! Half colour coded bumpers and an extra button for heated mirrors etc! Looked very strange. 

@dan1 You're right about less to go wrong, I frequently see people complaining of the sunroof leaking or rear calipers seizing or ABS lights on the dash. Don't have to worry about any of that. rlol.gif1

How did you wire in the front fogs or did the car come with fog lights already installed? 

Edited by AJCivic

17 hours ago, Dave said:

The good old Honda equipment levels in models can be hit or miss. All depends on what the first owner optioned in a lot of cases. My pre facelift MA8 1.4i was the base model, but had been optioned with the electric pack, alloys and mica metallic paint. So basic Civic but had electric mirrors (also heated, with separate switch for this), electric tilt/slide glass sunroof, electric front windows (wind up rears). The mirrors, even though fully electric, were plain black plastic housings, not colour coded. Bumpers were only half colour coded (which looked nuts!). Bloody brilliant wee car though, never ever went wrong in the 8 years or so we owned it.

Yeah never really thought about the optional extras. I've just checked the dealership brochure in the download section and even weirder it says my car should come with colour-coded handles and mirrors but doesnt haha.

The MA's are nice, the half coloured bumpers remind me of the old Rover 214's / Toyotas AE86!

@AJCivic

The previous owner installed the fogs however it shouldn't be hard to fit some. I've got the proper fog light switch in the dash & they can only be turned on when i've got the side lights on, so would assume the switched power is taken somewhere from the sidelight circuit. The wire from the switch then goes through the firewall to a relay under the bonnet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dan1 said:

@AJCivic

The previous owner installed the fogs however it shouldn't be hard to fit some. I've got the proper fog light switch in the dash & they can only be turned on when i've got the side lights on, so would assume the switched power is taken somewhere from the sidelight circuit. The wire from the switch then goes through the firewall to a relay under the bonnet.

Yeah I installed my own generic brand ones a couple of years ago but took me months and months to figure out how to do it on my own, just needed the practice I think. I have the original double switch too but they're still wired to a seperate switch at the moment, but I could definitely get that sorted now I know what's what! Wouldn't mind some OEM lamps too. Would look a bit better in the bumper.

Funnily enough I saw an MB in this colour with the big fogs close to where I live which was quite a surprise because I'd never seen it before or since. They do look nicer! 

• Like 2

The front fogs should plug into a connector on the drivers side inner wing just up from the headlight. Think the wiring harness from the bulkhead to the plug on inner wing is standard, but when they fit them as an optional the fog light kit comes with the harness to go from switch to fusebox then bulkhead, and the wiring harness that goes from that plug on inner wing down to fogs. Hope this helps8-)

• Like 2

Finally got round to fitting my coilovers with a 50mm drop all round, more than I'd hoped, but that was as high as i dared go on the adjusters, didnt want it super firm. Will let it settle for a week or so before trying to raise it up if needed. Don't want the car trying to eat the arch liners or anything stupid like that!

The car looks a little nose heavy - is this normal? I measured from the floor to the top of the wheel arch to keep the drop the same for the front and rear over stock measurements.

Have also made some coilover covers out of the arms/legs of an old wetsuit to hopefully keep them nicer over winter etc - will get some pics next time the wheels are off.

Next up will to make/fit a harness for the headlights as theyre pretty rubbish, should sort any voltage drop issues. Had a harness like this on my motorbike and it made a difference.

717512542_20201207_144600-Copy.jpg.62e8a83dda4e1dc54f2be0b06d129150.jpg

Does anyone know what the below plug is for?

It's in the boot, behind the passenger side rear lights, above the vent flap?

thumbnail_20201106_150512.jpg.a66bfd14c839f3d229d153dbbfbf30f9.jpg

Cheers, Dan

Looking sweet lowered mate! Really is a tidy MB that. Regarding that plug in the boot, I've seen that one before in the past. Almost sure it is for plugging in the oem Honda towbar electrics, as Ruby had a towbar (Honda one) fitted when we got her and I removed it. I'm sure it was plugged into that plug. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this for sure shortly. :rolleyes:

• Like 1