Hi All,

Hope you're all doing alright - long time without an update.

First off, I had the timing belt & other belts changed around the new year (if i remember right) so happier knowing thats been done. Next on the list is the clutch when funds allow.

I've finally got round to fitting a 3 point front brace I got for Christmas - fitting wasn't too bad but needed a few things doing first for ref:

Air con & PAS pipes needed a nudge over, the bracket which holds the wires/connectors next to the drivers side strut needed removing, needed to remove the bracket on the bulkhead which holds the throttle cable and pipe from the master servo to intake & the fuel filter holder bracket which holds them needed chopping off too.

Oh and the holes on the brace where the tops of the suspension turrets go through needed enlarging slightly.

Not had a chance to test it out yet so will report back.

All this has made me tempted to remove the air con to declutter things slightly, never use it so just lugging it around!

20210305_165133.jpg.2632d0090f86c41a6e87a8e92ffffdab.jpg

It does highlight just how grim the engine bay is though so will need to give that a good clean at somepoint.

Can anyone recommend a decent degreaser/cleaner for the engine?

Was also thinking of removing the resonator from the airbox - Is there any drawbacks from doing this other than an increase of noise?

Did also pick up a brochure for the car - proper impulse buy but so pleased with it:

20210305_170943.jpg.f35fb7b34f8d3927171cdb3b6f817d46.jpg

Cheers, Dan

• Like 2

Flicking through the original brochure for the car is awesome isn't it! Love the original books for these.  Best thing for degreasing the bay, and I've been using this since the 80's (and my dad used it since the 70's!) is "GUNK". It's availabe in spray on (great for getting into tight areas) and once sprayed on, leave for about 3 mins then work with a brush. Finally rinse off then wash area with normal hot water/car shampoo and dry it all off. It gets rid of caked on oil and all sorts, really good stuff mate!

Found some pics of Ruby and DD's bays after I'd "Gunked" em!

DSCF0354.JPG

IMG_20140612_185201293.jpg

dawns engine bay.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Think I'll try some of your gunk Dave :shock: :P

Just you leave ma gunk alone you, or Gayle will be having words! lmaorlol.gif1

Deffo recommend it mate, it's awesome stuff. I've done every engine bay I've ever owned with it, brings em up lovely, then just a wee polish and job done. I usually go over the hoses/black plastics/airbox with Back to Black on a cloth 

• Like 1

Coming along nicely mate, how much did you pay in total for belts then? Enquired about getting mine sorted and was quoted £430 for all of them plus water pump etc.

Also started cleaning up my engine bay the other week, forgot how easily the rocket cover can scratch so careful if using a wire brush or wheel on a drill to get corrosion off! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave said:

Just you leave ma gunk alone you, or Gayle will be having words! lmaorlol.gif1

Deffo recommend it mate, it's awesome stuff. I've done every engine bay I've ever owned with it, brings em up lovely, then just a wee polish and job done. I usually go over the hoses/black plastics/airbox with Back to Black on a cloth 

Which of the many types of gunk is it mate? 

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&client=ms-android-hmd-rev2&ei=9WZEYNefIYzzgQbSwZ2ABw&q=gunk+engine+degreaser&oq=gunk+engine&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIFCAAQkQIyBQgAEJECMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAOgQIABBHOgcIABCxAxBDOgQIABBDUNAnWJo4YIVOaABwAXgAgAF6iAHdAZIBAzEuMZgBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#scso=_AWdEYKq0A4yUgAbg2Z7YDw10:737.7142944335938

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 5:50 PM, dan1 said:

Hi All,

Hope you're all doing alright - long time without an update.

First off, I had the timing belt & other belts changed around the new year (if i remember right) so happier knowing thats been done. Next on the list is the clutch when funds allow.

I've finally got round to fitting a 3 point front brace I got for Christmas - fitting wasn't too bad but needed a few things doing first for ref:

Air con & PAS pipes needed a nudge over, the bracket which holds the wires/connectors next to the drivers side strut needed removing, needed to remove the bracket on the bulkhead which holds the throttle cable and pipe from the master servo to intake & the fuel filter holder bracket which holds them needed chopping off too.

Oh and the holes on the brace where the tops of the suspension turrets go through needed enlarging slightly.

Not had a chance to test it out yet so will report back.

All this has made me tempted to remove the air con to declutter things slightly, never use it so just lugging it around!

20210305_165133.jpg.2632d0090f86c41a6e87a8e92ffffdab.jpg

It does highlight just how grim the engine bay is though so will need to give that a good clean at somepoint.

Can anyone recommend a decent degreaser/cleaner for the engine?

Was also thinking of removing the resonator from the airbox - Is there any drawbacks from doing this other than an increase of noise?

Did also pick up a brochure for the car - proper impulse buy but so pleased with it:

20210305_170943.jpg.f35fb7b34f8d3927171cdb3b6f817d46.jpg

Cheers, Dan

The brace is looking good - I like a nice brace :grin:

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Dave said:

Flicking through the original brochure for the car is awesome isn't it! Love the original books for these.  Best thing for degreasing the bay, and I've been using this since the 80's (and my dad used it since the 70's!) is "GUNK". It's availabe in spray on (great for getting into tight areas) and once sprayed on, leave for about 3 mins then work with a brush. Finally rinse off then wash area with normal hot water/car shampoo and dry it all off. It gets rid of caked on oil and all sorts, really good stuff mate!

Found some pics of Ruby and DD's bays after I'd "Gunked" em!

DSCF0354.JPG

IMG_20140612_185201293.jpg

dawns engine bay.jpg

Those bays look spotless! :wub: Thanks for the recommendation mate, i'll have to invest in some of that! Love the rocker cover on DD - is that powdercoated?

18 hours ago, AJCivic said:

Coming along nicely mate, how much did you pay in total for belts then? Enquired about getting mine sorted and was quoted £430 for all of them plus water pump etc.

Also started cleaning up my engine bay the other week, forgot how easily the rocket cover can scratch so careful if using a wire brush or wheel on a drill to get corrosion off! 

Cheers AJ - paid £200 inc VAT for labour (3.5hrs) and £90 parts off ebay. Managed to get a decent amount off parts as ebay was doing a 20% off offer.

Thanks for the heads up on the rocker cover too.

14 hours ago, dr_broon said:

The brace is looking good - I like a nice brace :grin:

Thanks! Pleased with how its turned out. Found a rear strut brace on ebay too for a DC2 so that should be coming next week, so hopefully it'll fit too with a little persuasion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dan1 said:

Found a rear strut brace on ebay too for a DC2 so that should be coming next week, so hopefully it'll fit too with a little persuasion

Mine needed a bit of bending to get it lined up, but no big drama.