Replacement Sills

AJCivic

Question

Another MOT fail due to bad rust and holes appearing underneath the car.

I was wondering if replacement sill pieces are available for these Civics and the Rover/MG's too? I'm sure I've seen them for sale in the past. The guy who is hopefully doing the welding was wondering about that rather than patching everything.

I had the jacking point & sill at one side repaired last year and the rest of the sills didn't look all that bad. But this year (plus 6 months due to Covid) that same area has a big hole on the inner sill side, they've got areas at both sides halfway down where they're literally starting to crumble, big chunks were so weak they've been able to be pulled off, as well as that both rear arches have got holes in.

Not going well for the MB which I'd love to save but don't want to pay out for welding every year. :-(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Not sure on the civic ones still being availabe but I'm 99% sure you can still order the Rover 400/mgs ones new, which are the exact same as our civic ones.

Thanks Dave, I've been looking but no luck so far, I'll be sure to tell the guy who's welding it though. 

Took the plastic trims off the sills again today and it's an absolute state under there, the main parts of the sill on both sides halfway down now have huge holes up to about a foot long. 

Don't think this will be a cheap job! 

Edited by AJCivic
  • Sad 1

That doesn't sound good mate. I'd be inclined to give the whole car a good digging over just in case there's more rust elsewhere too. Simon (Dr Broon) had welding done to his aerodeck, and then when he took it to another garage, the catalog of horrors found meant it wasn't viable to get any more welding done, hence he decided to reshell the car with a rust free shell.

Hopefully you won't find the same horrors and its just contained to the sills, but worth keeping the above in mind mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave said:

That doesn't sound good mate. I'd be inclined to give the whole car a good digging over just in case there's more rust elsewhere too. Simon (Dr Broon) had welding done to his aerodeck, and then when he took it to another garage, the catalog of horrors found meant it wasn't viable to get any more welding done, hence he decided to reshell the car with a rust free shell.

Hopefully you won't find the same horrors and its just contained to the sills, but worth keeping the above in mind mate.

Thanks Dave and yeah I'll be sure to get everything else checked over. From what I've seen throughout owning the car it's more or less pretty sound for rusting apart from the lower levels, sills and arches, jacking points etc. Usually places that don't look so bad. The control arms front and back are rusted but they've always been on the list to replace. I will definitely have to be sure there isn't much else lurking though otherwise it'll render this pointless and be in the same position in a year. 

Waiting on a call back from the welder so fingers crossed otherwise I wasn't sure if the MB would live much longer to be honest! :-?

• Sad 1

Worrying times, but if it's just the sills then you should be ok. I'm not sure where the mgzs/Rover 400/45 owners get them from, think I've geard them mention Rimmer Brothers? Could be wrong. Might be worth signing up to https://www.mg-rover.org/forums/mg-zs-rover-45-400.102/MG and pop a question up see if they know. Be prepared for the usual ridicule though (why not buy a Rover cos they're better etc) although some of the members are ok. I was banned from it many many moons ago because I run the site for the Civic version of the car! They took umbridge when I pointed out the that the "Rover Aerodecks" of which there were originally 2, but now theres 3 (3rd which appeared years after rover went out of production so obviously a member redressed civic aerodeck!) that there were never any rover decks. It's a long story but rover never put them into production but a lot of members there swear blind they did, hence I got banned! lol rlol.gif1 Might sign back up as I'm sure moods and opinions have mellowed now both cars are into modern classic territory.

• Like 1

Thanks I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out. Fingers crossed or I'm not sure what I'll do with it to be honest. The guy hopefully doing the job was pretty keen to weld in a ready made piece given the size of the pieces needed for the sills. 

I wouldn't think the wheel arches or inner sill part near the jacking point would be too difficult for him, but it's crept up to about 5 areas I need sorting now. Is it worth it? I want to keep the Civic but don't know if anybody will be willing or able to take on this amount of work with it to be honest! 

20201102_200910.thumb.jpg.432d5e81f67399d070daeb2ec281aadf.jpg

20201101_143951.jpg.e3020b9e3864da842dca680027165653.jpg

20201102_201028.thumb.jpg.c3bf1e17e8b2594c4075e7ee90d6f5e6.jpg

20201101_144027.jpg

Edited by AJCivic

The first garage that I had working on mine were (apparently) able to get some replacement chassis rails (just didn't weld them to good metal.....) but whether they were car specific or not I wouldn't know.

Although from the pics yours seem okay? Just the outer sill is gone? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dr_broon said:

The first garage that I had working on mine were (apparently) able to get some replacement chassis rails (just didn't weld them to good metal.....) but whether they were car specific or not I wouldn't know.

Although from the pics yours seem okay? Just the outer sill is gone? 

Unfortunately the second pic is one of the holes from the lower sill, it's like this on both sides as well and quite long, so basically need the sill recreating as opposed to a patch maybe? 

• Like 1

yeah, looks like inner sill at that area is gone too, possibly needing fabricating as I doubt the inners will be available. It's a tough call tbh, cos if the rest of the car is sound then would be a shame to see her go if the welding can be done cost effectively.