Chief

Bit of a random one that's proper left me baffled this afternoon...

Original wheel is a bit grim so decided to go for a new Nardi wheel and HKB boss. Did the reading before and bought the EG/ DC2 (airbag) kit. Gone to fit it all this afternoon and the boss feels like its about 1mm too big for the spline. The teeth aren't engaging and I'm able to turn it without the wheels turning, even with the retaining nut back on the column and things tightened. 

It is the OH-206 kit (according to the box) but it arrived looking like it's been opened so I'm not sure if it's the correct one in the box - as surely that should fit? Or have plumped for the wrong kit? Would have also assumed that with it specifying it was for an airbag model, there'd be something in there for the airbag light delete but that cable is just left dangling in the middle of the hub at the minute... 

Have attached a pic of the thing offered up... any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?!

20201122_153545.jpg

Found this that sounds like it might help. 

"Please note before purchasing: The Honda boss kits fit one of two spline diameters, this size varies car to car regardless of year so you will need to confirm your application before ordering.

OH-136, OH-215 and OH-215L HKB boss kits fit a 15mm diameter spline.

OH-196, OH-206, OH-207 and OH-281 kits fit a 16mm diameter spline. "

https://www.jdmheart.com/en/boss-kits/1651-hkb-steering-wheel-boss-kit-oh-206-honda-civic-egintegra-dc2-96-spec-air-bag-.html

How bizarre. I have fitted many boss over the years never had an issue. 

Is that an airbag compatible boss you have fitted?

Personally only ever fitted the non airbag versions and removed the clock spring. 

Good Info there from Simon. Maybe there is some variations somewhere.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, dr_broon said:

Found this that sounds like it might help. 

"Please note before purchasing: The Honda boss kits fit one of two spline diameters, this size varies car to car regardless of year so you will need to confirm your application before ordering.

OH-136, OH-215 and OH-215L HKB boss kits fit a 15mm diameter spline.

OH-196, OH-206, OH-207 and OH-281 kits fit a 16mm diameter spline. "

https://www.jdmheart.com/en/boss-kits/1651-hkb-steering-wheel-boss-kit-oh-206-honda-civic-egintegra-dc2-96-spec-air-bag-.html

Interesting...that looks nothing like what's turned up - at all! There's a lot more bits in there too. 

Kink - yeah, was definitely an airbag kit - apparently there should be a resistor in there to jam in the end of the yellow wiring but that wasn't in there either. 

I managed to speak with the company that supplied it all yesterday, and they reckon that its the right box with the wrong part in it, and it arriving open that someone's either accidently or intentionally switched/ swapped out what was inside. Either way, they're onside that its not the right bit that's turned up so I've exchanged it for another attempt at an airbag kit - will see what turns up this time! Fingers crossed and all that...

Cheers guys!

• Like 1

Deffo the DC2/EG boss kits for our civics as I have the DC2 steering wheel fitted to DD, and it was straight forward plug/play. I had issues getting a boss previously for my MA8 civic, bought the eg/dc2 one wich would go on, but the srs clock spool or whatever they call it got in the way and prevented it from fitting.  Found out from supplier at the time (Funkypower.co.uk) that there was also an airbag kit version, but they didnt have it in stock so I never did get that wheel fitted.

• 1 month later...

Replacement part turned up yesterday, and following conversations with the suppliers, we went for the OH-215 kit, or 98' DC2 spec (15mm spline)... and it fits perfectly?! 

...absolutely baffled by that as it goes against everything I've read on them up to this point! Does this mean that the column's been replaced at some point, or is it just another quirk of these cars?! 

21 minutes ago, Chief said:

Replacement part turned up yesterday, and following conversations with the suppliers, we went for the OH-215 kit, or 98' DC2 spec (15mm spline)... and it fits perfectly?! 

...absolutely baffled by that as it goes against everything I've read on them up to this point! Does this mean that the column's been replaced at some point, or is it just another quirk of these cars?! 

That is really weird mate! Think you might be right in that the steering column has maybe been changed at some point. Did the car have the standard MC2 steering wheel on it when you bought it?

On 1/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, Dave said:

That is really weird mate! Think you might be right in that the steering column has maybe been changed at some point. Did the car have the standard MC2 steering wheel on it when you bought it?

I think it was the original/ standard one - certainly looked it! Really not sure why it would have been switched, but then it's not the first surprise that the car's thrown up so far... 

After all this back and forth, over the bloody hub, I think I'm going to take it all off next weekend. Gutted, but live and learn and all that!

• Like 1