Steering Wheels for MB2 (EP3, DC2, EK9...)

KeirML

Question

So long story, I bought an ep3 type r momo wheel before I found out about proper steering wheel fitment. So of course the splines didn't match up where the ep3 wheel spline is bigger, however everything else fit amazingly well, fantastic size, the airbag and horn used the same connectors and it looks fantastic (honestly it looks like it was made for the car!). I know I'll be judged for saying this, so I decided to just bolt tighten the wheel down super tight and give it a quick test to see if it was any good, and to my surprise it worked - the steering was tight and it felt great, so I took it around a while and it's given me 0 issues (I would even periodically check the bolt and it has never loosened at all).

Now even though the wheel has been reliable so far, I am coming to terms with the fact that it is a risk,  so from some research I can see the EK9 and DC2 wheels are a straight fit (correct me if i'm wrong), but it would be a real shame to stop using my ep3 wheel because it just fits my car so so well and I love how it feels. So my ultimate question is, where can I go to get the spline of the wheel adjusted so it actually fits properly? Or do I just need to go after a dc2/ek9 wheel?

9 answers to this question

If your determined to keep it. 

Use and ek steering column.

For the most part I'm sure it will fit. Bit no doubt there will need to be some tweaks made in order to get it all back together..

Or of course. Cut and weld the splined section to existing column.

• Like 1

And if you did want to swap for a different wheel, ek9 is the same fitment as the ep3 (as Jake notes above), so you'd need to go for dc2 / eg fitment. 

Accord type r is same as ek/ep3 as well. 

• Like 1

Yeah so eg dc2 delsol fit straight on mb.

I'll be honest I recon Swapping the column wont to difficult however I cannot guarantee it won't need some customisation. These things usually require some tweaks.

5 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

If your determined to keep it. 

Use and ek steering column.

For the most part I'm sure it will fit. Bit no doubt there will need to be some tweaks made in order to get it all back together..

Or of course. Cut and weld the splined section to existing column.

1 hour ago, dr_broon said:

And if you did want to swap for a different wheel, ek9 is the same fitment as the ep3 (as Jake notes above), so you'd need to go for dc2 / eg fitment. 

Accord type r is same as ek/ep3 as well. 

The input is massively appreciated so thank you guys. So my further questions for you then are: (1.) What steering wheels are actually a straight fit for an mb2? (2.) So any ek spline definitely fits an EP3 steering wheel? (3.) Do you know how easy is it to replace the current column with an EK one (is it something I can get my local mechanic, who usually works with Hondas, to do) or would it be better to see someone about cutting and welding to the current column?

Apologies if my questions are a bit repetitive, I just want to get it right haha! Once again your input is greatly appreciated :)

10 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Yeah so eg dc2 delsol fit straight on mb.

I'll be honest I recon Swapping the column wont to difficult however I cannot guarantee it won't need some customisation. These things usually require some tweaks.

Ok cheers, again that you both I think you've helped me to understand. So dc2/eg/mb have same fitment, and ek/ep3/accord r have the same. My last confirming/silly question; so I can just use any ek steering column (ek9 doesn't have a different one)?

Again thank you both massively.

Wonder what fitment the FN1/FN2 wheel is (other than FN1/FN2 lol rlol.gif1 ) Loved that wheel in my TypeS and TypeR, would love to see that in an MB/MC! Wonder if it could be fitted and if the radio volume buttons could be wired up?

On 12/3/2020 at 7:12 PM, Dave said:

Wonder what fitment the FN1/FN2 wheel is (other than FN1/FN2 lol rlol.gif1 ) Loved that wheel in my TypeS and TypeR, would love to see that in an MB/MC! Wonder if it could be fitted and if the radio volume buttons could be wired up?

I fitted one for a mate in an accord type s. Was a bit big on the spline so made a shim for it and cut the plugs off and remade all the wiring to fit the accord. Neat job. Works great and yeah looks amazing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

I fitted one for a mate in an accord type s. Was a bit big on the spline so made a shim for it and cut the plugs off and remade all the wiring to fit the accord. Neat job. Works great and yeah looks amazing

What year was the Accord mate? Thinking they probably had similar set ups depending on the year? Its an electric rack in the fn2 isn't it? Woulod be interesting to get a measurement of the fn2 shaft and the mb/mc one to see if its possible. Would possibly even give up my retrimmed DC2 wheel if I could have the fn1/2 wheel and get the buttons working!