Is this body kit genuine Honda or aftermarket?

YRegMB

40 minutes ago, YRegMB said:

Does the body kit fitted in these photos appear to be genuine or aftermarket?

This is not my car, just photos seen online.

civicdec2020.jpg

civicdec2020-2.jpg

That's the genuine OEM body kit from Honda that came standard fitted to the Civic VTiS MB6 models. Was also available in the accessories catalogue for the Civic M series at the time so you could order it for your non VTiS Civic. Although there have been aftermarket kits produced (all with the usual 90's fashion of big gaping holes everywhere!) this OEM kit is the best looking kit for any Civic M in my opinion, looks spot on.

I fitted that kit to Ruby my VTi, and my Aerodeck has that front spoiler/lip. I've got the sideskirts in the garage waiting to be painted before fitting. There was a similar looking rear lip available for the aerodeck too (which again is standard on the VTiS aerodeck) and I did have this until some pikey stole it from my rear garden at our old house!

Thanks for the reply. I have an original sales brochure which shows the body kit fitted, but the only clear photo is looking straight on from the side of the car. This made it difficult to tell compared to the photos in the post. Are the wind deflectors also original?

That particular car is for sale in Birmingham at the moment and meets my requirement of being on a Y plate. However it has 182,000 miles on the clock and an expired MOT.

Has it ever been seen on this form before?

In my opinion the red and gold adds nothing to it. I think it would look far better without. If it is vinyl wrap and not paint, hopefully it could be removed.

Am I right that the smoked rear light clusters would be technically illegal to have fitted when on public roads?

I've never seen it before - at least not in its current form.... 

There's a tint on the headlights which looks like a film similar to a product called fly eyes... If so that's probably what's on the rear lights as well. Depending on the type of film, I believe they are legal so long as they don't impair the amount of light omitted - the fly eyes film has lots of small holes to let the light out. 

Either way, if its film then it should come off relatively easily (might need a good clean up afterwards). 

As for mileage - I wouldn't be worried about it.... So long as the shell is sound. My engine's on over 215k, and it's still strong. In fact it's outlasted the chassis and has been transferred into a new shell! 

• Like 1

All depends on the price tbh mate. No MOT generally gives you scrap value, so if its cheap enough and the shell is free from rust (get under and inspect everything and every nook and cranny!) then as Simon said above don't be too concerned about the mileage. Just the usual checks for the engine (any signs of oil leaks, blue smoke under acceleration, strange noises etc) and see how she drives. From the photos she certainly looks decent. Ive got the original brochure too! The wind deflectors if OEM Honda ones will be solid black plastic. If they are the tinted perspex ones, they'll either be Climair or Team Heko aftermarket ones, both of which are readily available on the internet.

Oh, and just spotted a mega bonus......that civic has the larger (and better) front fog lights fitted which are rare as hens teeth!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I know that these engines have a good reputation for reliability.

The MOT history looks good. It has only ever had fails and advisories on consumable parts. There is no apparent history of failure due to rust.

The car covered 28,000 miles in a year between its 2018 and 2019 MOTs.

The engine bay also looks very tidy (see photo). I would do away with the nasty red and gold bits as soon as possible if I did buy it.

The current asking price is £995 which is a lot with an expired MOT.

Also, in my last post, the word "form" was supposed to be forum but I can't edit it now.

civicengdec2020.jpg

:embarrassed-smiley-face:£995 with no MOT??? Sorry mate, but that seller is dreaming. They will never get that for it, they'd be lucky to get that with a yrs mot on it. With that mileage, no mot and being a D series not a B series engine, that's a £150 to £300 car. :(

Thanks for the reply. They were asking £1295 a few weeks back. I am tempted to wait it out and see if it drops any more.

I would probably be willing to pay up to £500 if it had a current MOT as the Y Plate MBs seem to be difficult to come by.

Do the OEM body kit and rare fog lamps increase its value at all?

Yeah a full VTIS kit can go for around £200 providing the front lip is a plastic original and not one of the fiberglass replicas that have done the rounds (I have one from a bundle of bits I bought from a member on here) and it's in good condition. 

Fog lights are very hard to come by but sometimes come up for sale. The problem with those isn't being able to get hold of them, it's wiring them up correctly. Only the 1.8 VTI's and one of the 1.6 trim levels came with them as standard I think, so it would be rare to come across one with the wiring installed, if you were to fit them yourself.