What are these buttons?

dr_broon

Question

Hi Mate @dr_broon. It's bad news I'm afraid blush.gif1 I got a couple of the switches in and dismantled them to see if it's possible to fit the parts from the heated rear window/hazard switches into the buttons of the lower down A/C and Air Recycle buttons. I've took some pics of the exploded switches and how I tried to swap the bits over.

The switches dismantled: We'll call the heated rear window switch "Button1" and the Air recycle one "Button2"

1switches-the-heated-rear-window-and-air-recycle-dismantled-for-comparison.jpg

Although the circuit boards are almost the same size, the actual switches on them are completely different. The Button1 is a bulkier one (see pic below), but with less pins.

2switches-heated-rear-window-dismantled-close-up.jpg

I thought I might still be able to fit it inside the casing of button1 inside button2 though so went ahead and tried it. There were bits of plastic that needed removed from inside the button2.

3switches-inside-of-recycling-switch.jpg

Time to get the tools out!

4switches-cutting-inside-of-recycling-switch.jpg

After cutting out the innards

5switches-inside-of-recycling-switch-cut-out-and-smoothed.jpg

Unfortunately, when I tried to fit the board from button1, there was no way it was going to work. shrug.gif1 The rear of the button1 where the plug goes was too bulky compared to what had been there previously. The Switch inside was also too bulky, and the bulbs were in totally different places. Button2 has two casings, and one slides inside the other. The board from the button1 was fouling the casings so they couldn't move freely. I even tried cutting the rear underside half of the casing away, to see if this would allow movement but no luck.

Examining the boards, I noticed that the button1 has a larger switch with less pins (only 5 on the plug socket on the rear of button). Button2 has a smaller switch with 6 pins, and has 6 pins on the plug socket on rear of button. Looking at the printed circuits, both are wired differently. I'm thinking though, if you can check the wiring diagrams for our cars, and work out what wires are what (3 or 4 of the wires on button2 are for the bulbs, but go through the actual switch where as on button1 they wires for the bulbs don't go through the switch.) you might be able to rewire button2 to use as heated rear window/hazard switches. Would be a case if identifying the wires, cutting off the plugs from the heated window switch and the new button2 and getting another plug from old tubs wiring for the air recycle switch and A/C and see if you can rewire the plugs to work? Think it might be doable, although I'm no expert!

But as for swapping insides around, it's a no-go I'm afraid mate. If you need any buttons, I have tons of them from our old Civic5 parts dept that we used to have. Just gimme a shout.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Dave - that's a shame, but not a surprise I suppose!

The back up plan was to try swapping the wiring like you say, but it just depends on whether the circuit boards are different (probably are). 

Just spending time thinking about what I can do when I get the car back :lol:

• Like 1

Watch yerself, that kinda thinking can end up being expensive! lmao applause.gif1

Good thing about the circuit boards is there isn't any components on them other than the switch and the two bulbs (so no transistors etc) so think the wiring should be easy enough to figure out. Worst that could happen is wire them up and it blows a fuse if it aint right. With the diagram, and looking at the tracks on the boards, should be simple enough to work out how to wire them (or work out if they can actually be wired.) 8-)

I went a bit further in that i took the heated window image bit from button1 (it pops out, and then you can separate it from the coloured bit too) to see what it would be like stuck on button2. It looked kinda ok, the white bits from the shape of the car on button2 showing through and showing the outlines of the heated rear window. Bit parts of the heated window werent visible due to the white car shape on button2. So i sanded button2 back gently, and it goes clear. So you could sand it clear, mask out a rectangle same size as the heated window, spray button2 black on outside and white on inside and this would make the heated window image stand out perfectly. I know, I must have too much time on my hands lmao! Just wanted to see how things were made tis alllame.gif1

• Like 1

I've seen some replacement stickers (for a Ford) on ebay, which should work with a bit of butchering. Would be nice to stick with honda style though. 

Can't beat a bit of tinkering on a Sunday though ey? 

• Haha 1