Double din dash conversion - interest

Dave

I'm going to be finally doing my double din dash conversion on DD. Just waiting on the cage coming so I can then set about starting things off. Got two spare centre consoles to work with so will try and photograph the progress. Know it can deffo be done as its been done to another MB in the past so hoping this turns out really sweet. Will be fitting a double din android head unit (no cd player as I don't use them anymore, only usb stick and phone. Also, DD has Alexa Auto so can have any tune/radio station playing that I desire so deffo no need for CD's lol8-)

What I'm wondering is, if all goes to plan, what would the interest be in buying ready made centre console conversion kits? If mine turns out good enough, was going to look at seeing how much it would cost to have it reproduced with 3D printing. Then figure out a price from there?

Let me know your thoughts guys.

• Like 1

Sweet! Will let you know how DD's goes mate then will contact the company to see what the prices will be like for getting them done. Hopefully it will be a reasonable price so the prices each will be decent for folks to buy. If it's gonna work out that they're too expensive to reproduce that way, I'll just put up a really detailed how to guide on how to make your own. Would be nice though to finally be able to buy a part like this off the shelf for our Civics. I think there would possibly be a good demand for them from Rover 400/MGZS owners too, seeing as the MGZS has entered modern classic status now.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once I've done a couple jobs I want to do. I'll start looking at this aswell. Ditch the gauges and have a double din instead. Hopefully you'll be well on your way by then and I can pinch a few ideas. Haha

• Like 2

Sooo, made a start on this today..............and it was a disaster! lol blush.gif1 I've put together the process so far to where I got to, but stopped as my concentration was shot and I wasn't happy with how it was turning out. I cut the centre console section to size for double din, which wasn't really that easy either after measuring up.

1. We'll assume you have already removed the centre console from the car to work on, or have bought 2 spare ones. You will need to sacrafice 2 consoles to make this conversion to double din.

2. Remove the 6 screws pictured here.

1.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

3. Remove the two screws that hold the metal bracket to the console panel. Make a note of how this is fitted as we need to refit it once done.

2.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

3. The bracket removed and the six screws we removed.

3.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

4. Now we need to measuer the height of the double din cage. This was 10.2cm

4.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

5. we now need to cut the panel. On panel one, cut the sides just below the curved bit of the top corners of the radio slot.5.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

6. On panel two, do the same cut but just above the bottom corners.

7. Screw the bottom section you have cut temp into the centre console, then slide the top section in. Et Voila, we're done!......

6.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

8. .......errr, not quite! lol There will be small gaps that will need to be filled in with fiberglass resin, then shaped to the contour of the panel. But before we get to that, more cutting is needed!

9. You will notice that the two panels that you have used to create a double din sized radio slot are now to tall to fit in the centre console. Temp screw the top part to the centre console, then offer up the bottom section and let it overlap the top section. Here you can see the overlap. This is how much we need to remove from the panel further down.

7.Removing_Centre_Console_Honda_Civic_MB_MC_MA.JPG

11. Measure the overlap, which will be around 5cm's. This is what will need to be removed from lower down the panel.

20210119_124419.jpg

And that's as far as I got, had also cut my finger with the saw by this point and was truely pee'd off! shrug.gif1The effects of long covid really is buggering up my concentration levels, so decided to call it a day. On looking at the panels closely, I've decided to experiment with a different way! I've cut away the top part that houses the clock and hazard switch/heated rear window switch and offered up the double din cage. I reckon that I should be able to fit the radio there, nice and high up. Will depend on space behind that in the dash though, as not sure how tight for depth it is there so that needs investigating. I also need to get another centre console cut more acurately (going to use my dremil this time) to see if the double din will indeed fit. My trial so far shows it's going to be mega tight, but looks like it might just be doable. It will involve a lot of precision cutting, and a lot of filling/shaping with fiberglass but would be awesome when done. Watch this space.blush.gif1

• Like 1

I remember having a good peer at mikefoto's double din, and it looked like you could see the join like there was a bit of a gap, but as you say, filling with resin and sanding should sort that out a treat - are you going to paint the whole thing? 

So will there be another joint where you are going to cut a section out further down? 

Good work so far though - even though you tried to chop off a finger. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dr_broon said:

I remember having a good peer at mikefoto's double din, and it looked like you could see the join like there was a bit of a gap, but as you say, filling with resin and sanding should sort that out a treat - are you going to paint the whole thing? 

So will there be another joint where you are going to cut a section out further down? 

Good work so far though - even though you tried to chop off a finger. 

rlol.gif1 hahaha, yes, I always say if I do a job and get no injury, I've missed a bit or not done it right! lol

Yeah, I noticed the join on Mikes dash too, he even posted that although it looks good it wasn't perfect and he wasn't that happy with the join. I'm going a different route now if I can, although would like to master both options (this one and the other one higher up i was on about). That way, if there is demand for them, we can offer both versions to anyone who wants it. I'm currently now looking for another console to use for the higher up one as that's the one I really want! I figure, with my wiring skills and the wiring diagram, i can rewire the hazard/heated window switches to work with the other switches we spoke about. That's my goal now!

Here's the one I'm going for. Tons and tons of work (and that ones been wrapped in faux leather to cover imperfections) but something like this would be amazing. Only one I've seen done that way, and going by my rough measurements today, double din should fit

f28dc-cimg7598.jpg

The entire panel will be prepped and sprayed once all the work is done on it, so the joins should all be invisible when completed. Suppose if these do go into production, what i could do is also offer them just in primer so the buyer can spray them whatever colour they want, should they want to do that? Probs best sticking with the black. So many ideas buzzing around my head, including vinyl wrapping it in a brushed aluminum effect vinyl.

• Like 1

That would be good. I'm still planning on fannying around with those buttons for the hazard and heated window switches as well. 

Is that pic a tablet install or a touchscreen double din? 

• Like 1