Spotted Rover Aerodeck

IkyMB1

There was someone in here a few years ago who was either turning an M into a rover, or vice versa - can't remember which, but I've got a feeling that he was putting civic panels on a rover?

Either way, I think that it was a hatch rather than a deck. 

Would be interesting to see the back end and side properly, to see what's going on with the doors and wheel arches... Looks like a bit of effort gone in. 

• Like 1

@dr_broon I remember that one, was a rover into a civic I think. Not sure what happened as he disappeared from the forum but think the conversion got completed.

The "Roverdeck" myth has been well covered in the forum before so I won't go too far into it other than to confirm Rover Group never put a Rover Aerodeck/Tourer/estate into production. There are no Rover Aerodecks.........however........Honda did send two Aerodeck shells to Rover as RG were initially going to produce it along the same lines as they did with the 400, but decided against it on costs and the fact they didn't think there would be a demand for it. The two shells lay there for some time, and eventually two Rover employees bought the shells and built them with Rover wings/bonnets/front bumpers and running gear. These are the two that you see at a lot of classic car shows up and down the country. The front is rover, the rear is all Honda as mentioned Rover didn't take the project any further so no different rear panels/bumpers were produced for the car. One of the 2 "Roverdecks" (Think it was the red one) was involved in an front end accident, and the owner then rebuilt it using the front panels from an MGZS. Both are lovely looking cars, have to say I actually like the front end of the rover (with the twin round headlights). I almost bought a 400 hatch before we got our first civic!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dr_broon said:

Just read through the thread again - was a cool project! 

Well this is a blast from the past.

Yeah the first iteration of the "Rover Civic" was full complete, both interior and exterior was completely converted. The second iteration was never complete and was reverted back to Rover.

As with most of my cars, both ended up in the scrap.

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

17492710_10154202335930563_3348257495915060464_o.jpg

21272340_10154655351005563_7609307949234519433_n.jpg

towed.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@dr_broonThats the one!   @JonesAh man, sad to see the 2nd one go away on the back of the truck like that mate. Loved watching the projects you did (especially the first one!) and the results you achieved. Both epic builds and both built to create something you yourself wanted. A lot of builds are done to what everyone expects, using a lot of "scene" brands etc. Yours was a true home build and all the better for it! Just read the whole thing again from start to finish! lol No idea why the members on the Rover forum frowned on it when everyone here was loving it. The cars are by and large the same car, something I think some of the Rover owners aren't readily haapy to accept. Which is a shame, as I think the two clubs could have worked together to put both these cracking cars firmly on the modern classic radar and map.

• Like 1