D Series - removing valve cover to remove plastic timing belt cover?

YRegMB

Am I right that the D Series SOHC engines fitted to the MB Civics are designed in the following way? As far as I can tell, the valve cover needs to be removed in order to remove the top timing belt cover?

I have changed a timing belt in the past on a SOHC D Series engine. I had changed the valve cover gasket before. I noticed at the time that the valve cover had to be removed in order to remove the plastic timing belt cover.

While the valve cover was off, I removed the plastic cover and ground off the lip that fits into the slot on the valve cover. That way, when the belt was due, I was able to remove the plastic cover without needing to break the valve cover seal. It also allows the timing belt to be easily checked for condition without needing to remove the valve cover.

I have seen aftermarket clear plastic timing belt covers pictured on the internet before. While that seemed like a good idea, I would think that it would soon get dirty on the inside. I also wonder how long they would last before the clear plastic turned cloudy.

As an aside, what is the secret to getting a lasting seal on the valve cover gasket? I used a new gasket with sealant only at the corner points of the camshaft bearing cap at both ends. This was recommended by a Haynes manual. The seal lasted a couple of years but eventually started leaking oil from the corners of the end cam caps.

Thanks for any information.

• Thanks 1