Immobiliser kicked in, alarm going off

PeterD207

Having a really annoying issue with my MA. So as far as I can tell someone fitted an aftermarket alarm system to my car before I got it (I think). I have no idea. The key fob is separate to the key, has no brand and is plane black. It went corroded and stopped working so I started using the key in the locks which seemed to disarm the alarm and the immobiliser. Then I started getting this situation where I'd turn the key, just the drivers button would come up and the alarm and immobiliser stay armed no matter what. Jiggling the key and a bit of WD in the lock sorted that until I came out the other day, no central locking at all, car constantly immobilised and alarmed and I can't do anything about it. Has anyone had an issue like this ? Is the immobiliser and alarm aftermarket does anyone know ? Why did my central locking just stop ? 

Picture of key and fob below 

16148102068392468154458017391268.jpg

• Like 1

That's an odd problem - especially the bit where the key in the lock was disarming the system but not anymore. 

Have you been able to have a look at the siren under the bonnet? That might give you an idea of who made it (but if the alarm is going off you might want to disconnect the battery to save your ears :lol:

@Dave had an MA so might recognise the key fob. 

• Like 1

Hi Peter. Really strange problem your MA Civic has got. I had an MA Civic years ago, and the fob is like the standard one all MA/MB/MC Civics have (Valeo type) with two buttons so that deffo points to yours being an aftermarket one. 

As Simon said, if you have a look under the bonnet and see if you can see the siren as this will have the make/model on it somewhere. Good idea to disconnect the battery, which might if you're lucky reset the problem you're having with the central locking.

If a replacement fob can't be had, the only alternative is to have the alarm removed. These Civics have a built in immobilizer from the factory anyways (that's the green flashing key light on your instrument panel). I'd probably take the drivers side door panel o0ff and look for any wires that have been added to the central locking solenoid. It might be one of them has come loose/corroded?

On a side note, your key looks different to the standard Civic MA key too? Maybe had relacement locks/key set at some point in it's life? The standard key has a black rubber like top to it with the H logo on it, not a plastic one. Did you get any other key's with the car?

5 minutes ago, Dave said:

On a side note, your key looks different to the standard Civic MA key too? Maybe had relacement locks/key set at some point in it's life? The standard key has a black rubber like top to it with the H logo on it, not a plastic one. Did you get any other key's with the car?

I was wondering if the MA had the same as the others, coz the immobiliser chip is hidden under the rubber bit, so not sure where it could be on that key. 

• Like 1

Yes, that's what  was thinking. Could be the key that's causing the immobilizer issue and not the alarm itself. Always difficult to sort faults out with immobilizers/after market alarms.

I already unhooked the battery, it was the only way to shut the thing up haha. I'm honestly completely lost lads. There is this weird looking box that definitely is not stock in the engine bay that I noticed. I never seen as attachment like that for an aftermarket alarm, it's a ridiculously clean job. There are no other wires out of the ordinary anywhere else. I've checked it for brands, taken it out, the whole lot and nothing. Unplugging it seems to have no effect. I'll attach a photo.

I never thought of the chip in the key, I know a place that can check for it so I actually might try that. The key is stamped with a V in a circle which I'm presuming is Valeo ?? No clue. It came with two sets of keys with the same fob, both identical. 

The car was imported to Ireland from the UK in 97. I got it in about 2011, so I don't really know where that system came from. When I get to the bottom of this I will 100% let you know. Please keep suggesting things, that was very helpful about the key and immobiliser. Thank you

20210304_213650.jpg

So that's where the siren is on my mc2. Mine is an optional extra cat1 system made by Hamilton and palmer, but it looks quite different to that.  I've also got a metal box fixed to the floor under the drivers seat (might be worth checking yours). 

I can't remember how I found out they made it because it's not printed anywhere, but when I had my siren problem I sent them a photo of the siren and they identified the system from there. They've always been really helpful. 

This is their website 

https://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/