Going to update our Civic M buyers guide....need your thoughts and input

Dave

Hi guys.

Been thinking lately that although our buyers guide is good, it might be kinda out of date now. The faults listed in it are still relevant, but as time goes on there are newer faults and problems arising with our Civics. Not surprising as the oldest Civic M's are now 26 years old!

I did some work on DD today, had yet another leak into the interior when raining. The usual place, headlining at the top right corner of windscreen was wet. In the past, this has usually pointed to blocked sunroof drains, or the bonding around the windscreen had broken down/deterioated.  Thanks to Alex (Chandler) excellent guide on removing the roof rails, and Simon (Dr Broon) mentioning earlier this week about seam sealer breaking down and letting water into the rear of his Aerodeck, I thought I'd investigate this on DD.

I Removed the roof rails, and there was years of dirt/gunk under the roof rail mounts and also under the plastic roof drains. I cleaned all this out, then examined the area. Sure enough, a tiny little bit of seam sealer around where the front roof rail mounts to the car had gone. Tiny tiny bit, but seems enough to let water in. I've now sealed it all up and dried out the roof lining so will report back if this has resolved it.

So this brings me to the guide. I think we could add in what members are now finding are failing on these Civics. We can add them to the list of what to check, but also create a list of preventative maintenance we can now do (like removing the roof rails on Aerodecks to check (still applies to hatchbacks too as they still have seam sealer under the plastic roof gutter drains.) and clean out/seal as necessary. There are other things to add too, like the small design flaw in the scuttle area which if blocked up nwith dirt crap, can allow water to go straight into the heater.

I'll make this a sticky, so if you have any things you've had to do to your civic that isn't in the current buyers guide, list it in this topic. 

We've had 2 or 3 Civics/Aerodecks that have recently undergone full restorations, so if you want to list new areas of concerns for rust or anything else would be mucho appreciated. There aren't any other sites out there that have as much info on these cars, so lets keep the list updating as we go along.

New things to add to list:

• Rust - a real common place is now under the drivers/passenger footwells on the seam. 
  • Rust - Lower sills which are covered by the sill protectors, and the outer/side which the covers clip into. Usually possible to get fingers underneath and round the covers to check. Also the wheel arches up from the sills of course!

• Sticky handbrakes.
  • All bushes will all be really showing there age
  • ARB drop links
  • Bonding around windscreen (if original windscreen still fitted) can be breaking down causing leaks around top and bottom of screen
  • The heater core. Check Passengers/Drivers footwell and remove the sill to check if its wet on the underside of the carpet. The heater core in this cars tend to fail and if the puncture is small you only notice if the carpet is lifted and see if it looks wet.

Tell tail it's the heater core is the water will coolant so will have antifreeze colour/smell to it.

• Like 2

• Dave pinned this topic

Top idea, and I'll have to have a ponder. Arches and sills seems to be the areas most prone to rusting. 

Age of the cars now means that bushes will all be in various stages of falling to bits. 

Sticky handbrake is another woe that we're all far too familiar with. 

Engine wise I can't think of anything so long as regular oil changes have been done? 

• Like 1

Rust, rust and more rust.

Lower sills which are usually completely covered by the sill protectors, and the outer/side which the covers clip into. Usually possible to get fingers underneath and round the covers. 

Also the wheel arches up from the sills of course!

• Like 1

Good shout Jake, especially that seam under the drivers/passengers footwells. With the signs of body seam sealer now showing to be breaking down, those  two areas will deffo be showing up a lot from here on it I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I think its allways good to check for Passenger footwell and remove the sill to check if its wet on the underside of the carpet, cause as some of us know the heater Core in this cars tend to fail and if the puncture is small you only notice if the carpet is lifted and see if it looks wet.

I find out i had litres of radiador fluid on the foam the carpet has on the back

Hope this helps

Edited by rickybeau
  • Like 1

• Dave unpinned this topic