Ecu errors

dr_broon

Question

So, now I've got a working car, I had a chance to try the p28 ecu after getting the soldering of the socket checked. 

Plugged it in, and what do you know... No engine warning light... Hurrah! 

So I think to myself, not only has the issue where the ecu just had a solid light and wouldn't start been fixed, the last time I burned the P72 base map to the chip I must have got to the end of disabling various sensors that don't exist.. Mint. 

Took it for a drive, carefully at first, and all seemed fine. Gave it a short burst of beans up to maybe about 6 or so, and still okay. 

Turned around to come home, took it up to about 7 - 7.5k, and it red lines... Must just be the map.

A minute or so down the road I stop at some traffic lights, then the Idle drops right down.  Start driving again and notice that it's on limp mode with the eml on.  This is probably about 5 mins or so if driving. 

Get home and try and pull the code, and no flashes - just a solid light. 

Lob the P9 back in and all's well. 

Anyone got any clue? 

8 answers to this question

Bit of a weird one mate! If something was actually failing/failed, you would think the eml would stay on even with the old ecu back in. Unless there's maybe a previous fault on stored on the P28? Might need reset/flashed?

50 minutes ago, Dave said:

Bit of a weird one mate! If something was actually failing/failed, you would think the eml would stay on even with the old ecu back in. Unless there's maybe a previous fault on stored on the P28? Might need reset/flashed?

Going to try hooking it up again today - if there's no eml, then it's probably okay for mapping.. If not, then the ecu must need some more electronic loving. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Going to try hooking it up again today - if there's no eml, then it's probably okay for mapping.. If not, then the ecu must need some more electronic loving. 

Light still on so probably ecu needs attention before going for mapping. 

• Like 1

hmmm, if a lot of the pcb looks like that, I'd maybe look at getting a different ecu. if there's loads of dry/dodgy joints or it's been messed about with it'll give you no end of bother

It's mainly the socket that looks dodgy - I don't think that it stood up well to the chip going in and out when I was trying to get the map to work years ago. I've got a zif socket in there now, but think that it needs a bit of a going over.