Patxi's '98 Civic MB3 Daily driven

Patxi

Hi everybody. My name is Patxi and I've been driving hondas since I got my driver license back in 2007.

I started with a peugeot 205, but after that car I've had various civics. My very first one was a ´99 Civic EK daily driven when I was student. I got it for 8 years and ended up respraying and B-swaping. In between I had a EG5 (no pics) only for some weeks, it was really rusted so I break it and sold parts. At this point, I bought the MB3 I will show on this thread. The EK was really intense driving but wanted something different, fast and more confortable, so I got chance to purchase a '16 Civic Type R and ended up selling EK. I owned it for two years, drove both summers to the Nurburgring and sold it to buy a house. I had the chance to own a '10 K24/20 FN2, an awesome car, but after the FK2 I was a bit upset... so I sold it after only 4 months and ended up with a barn find '99 EK1 really cheap I have restored after 4 years been used only in gravel paths(I will open a thread for this one).

After this long introduction of my past cars, its time to talk about my daily car for the last 4 years. I bought this piece of s**t for 800€ in June 2017 with blown head gasket. 3 days later it was runing strong and since that day the only issue I had was a blown clutch disk (and another embarrasing moment, when I sent the car to the shop because the crash buttom jumped and didnt knew why fuel pump wasnt working). The day I bought it in Barcelona to first owner, 180.000 Km (100.000 miles aprox) It's an '98 MB3 D15Z8 evtec 114hp.

IMG_20170609_125238.jpg

I made a little maintenance when bought it, because car hadn't any history of what was done: All filters, brake fluid, pads and disks... The very first "mod" I added was the "Igor" sticker. This friend died in a car crash years ago, he had an VTi MB6 and he introduced me to the honda world. The rest of mods I installed in a short time were VTi wing, lip, steering wheel and seats. Also, for a time EK4 wheels.

IMG_20170920_144159.jpg

IMG_20170728_135437.jpg

IMG_20170728_135445.jpg

IMG_20170918_120544.jpg

All 4 wheel arches had a bit of rust, and 2 years ago on Valentines day a tourist crashed to my car. Using the insuance money instead of respraying the bumper I repaired rear arches and replace the fenders. The bumper came to his form with just heat.

IMG_20190214_204835.jpg

IMG-20190221-WA0039.jpg

I friend gave me a couple of headlights he had from his previous car and I decided to made a retrofit.

IMG_20190328_121250.jpg

IMG-20190507-WA0010.jpeg

I installed this headlights, but sold them a year later because they didnt pass the inspection in my county and I was a bit lazy to install them again. I painted the OEM ones with black masks and polish them

IMG_20190915_161044.jpg

January 2020, a really cold night, dark Ice... and this happend. Luckily I only broke a side skirt towing the car, I fixed it with some zip ties.

IMG_20200117_234028.jpg

Some weeks ago I painted with liquid vynil the wippers and the grill

IMG_20210217_181939.jpg

And last week I took everything out of the car because I had some water filtrations. Sealed them, they were in the front pilar and in the trunk. After that no more mist on wet days.

IMG_20210323_132338.jpg

I cleaned everything outside the car. Also, I glued insulating in the roof and rear inside arches. It was cheap and now in highways car is really silent.

IMG_20210325_102951.jpg

1616712603002.jpeg

The roof carpet was detached, so I glued a new one and installed an extra roof light

IMG_20210326_133153.jpg

I sprayed the door molding in black, I'm planing to paint in silver the side skirts, side mirrors and handles in near future and fbought some cheap coilovers to test them, I need to replace the rear arms bushings, They're on the way.

IMG_20210329_194348.jpg

I installed an air intake with a scoop and sealed the filter to take fresh air from outside and less warm air from the engine bay. Not sure if this will be effective, but just in case...

IMG_20210401_124812.jpg

IMG_20210401_124819.jpg

IMG_20210401_124825.jpg

1617282242267.jpeg

IMG_20210401_151337.jpg

And some weeks ago, I saw this on a google search and decide to do the same.

IMG_20210404_122808.jpg

IMG_20210404_122817.jpg

IMG_20210404_122740.jpg

1617566861905.jpeg

1617566861902.jpeg

1617566861896.jpeg

You can see Im not very good sanding, so it apreciates the union of the two pieces, but its all working

IMG_20210405_121834.jpg

I installed the coils, Now I need some alloys. Hope to find something 15x6.5 et35 or near to fill the wheel arch. A pic with the Cañonero of my dad, looks even lower. I would like to fit the EK4 jordan 15" alloys like in this chop but are hard to find in Spain.

IMG_20210413_152235.jpg

Also, changed the H logo of the grill with one from a '03 EP2 civic, looks better than previous one I installed (forgive the mosquito season)

IMG_20210419_183609.jpg

...and this is from yesterday. Check engine light switched on. I took code 54 (CKF Crankshaft Fluctuation Sensor)... looked the sensor wiring and surprise, it was out of his place touching alternator velt. After relocating in his place and test drive, no more check engine light. Pic isnt really good but you can see it.

IMG_20210421_182753.jpg

And this is all for now after 4 years and 100.000 Km with the car. 

• Like 1

Welcome along mate and thanks for sharing your mb3 welcometocivic5smile

I like what you've done with her - @Davewill be interested in you double din conversion 8-)

Seems like you've been through a lot in the last four years! :-D

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dr_broon said:

Welcome along mate and thanks for sharing your mb3 welcometocivic5smile

I like what you've done with her - @Davewill be interested in you double din conversion 8-)

Seems like you've been through a lot in the last four years! :-D

Thank you for the welcome!

Yep, we have lived a lot of together, my dad says I'm like a Italian car owner, all day working on it :mrgreen: And for sure, if someone is interested in the din conversion, I can explain what I did.

• Like 1

Congrats mate your mods do look Smart, i like the work you have done so far you have good eye and even better "oily thumb"...i just made up this expression to call for a natural mechanich born from pure entusiasm.

Love it, keep it coming mate.

Edited by rickybeau
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, rickybeau said:

Congrats mate your mods do look Smart, i like the work you have done so far you have good eye and even better "oily thumb"...i just made up this expression to call for a natural mechanich born from pure entusiasm.

Love it, keep it coming mate.

Nice one that. I feel proud of what I've done. I'm IT, not mechanic, all I know is self learned reading in forums, watching in youtube...its really satisfiying, sometimes I think I enjoy more working on cars than driving them

• Like 3

What a cracking project, and a lovely MB3 at the end of it. Loving the mods you've done mate, really brings the MB bang up to date and nicer to live with. I'm in the process of doing the double din conversion on my aerodeck. That head unit you've got is the same one I was looking at too! Love the fact it's nice and shallow so plenty room behind it. We really do struggle for room behind standard sized 1 din units in these civics, the dash space being really tight. So to fir a standard double din is tricky, so thats why I prefer the mechless (no cd player so smaller) units. How you finding that screen, reaction wise. Is it decent response times on it as it had mixed reviews? 

I'm still deciding whether I'm going for the same conversion as you, or going the otherway and moving the screen upwards, so doing away with the clock/hazard/heated rear screen switches. The switches will be moved to where the blanks are in next to AC button, and will rewire that style of switch to operate the hazard/heated screen. A lot more work moving it up, and it is really really tight for space but know it can be done.

double din high up dash.jpg

I want mine to sit further in than this though so will need to modify thing even more. Wanted it to be high so it's easier to see rear camera and navigation maps, feel that if its down where normal radio sits it might mean taking eyes of road for too long to see it?

• Like 2

Thanks for your words :) Yep, I have a love-hate relationship with this car, but it cost me soo cheap to maintain, confortable and it takes me a smile when I see Im capable to fix it so easily by miself... late 90's cars are like Legos. Love them.

The screen I bought is from amazon (chinese) it has good response... in some cases freezes, but I think its my fault (I have attached a 16GB pendrive full, 2500 songs... and needs time to read :mrgreen:) I think I havent attached a very important pic. I was planing on installing steering wheel controls, I need to research for more info (the airbag ring must be changed and the steering rack doesnt fit fn/fk wheels... I think). Anyway, I installed this to have a similar experience controling the screen. I didnt move the warning/fog/clock because it was more work modifiying... I wasnt to sure it would end up well and you only will win 4-5 cm taller, it wont be really significant.

IMG_20210401_173900.jpg

• Like 3

Actually, looking at it like that (only getting it 4cms higher) I think you're right! Think I'll go for the same layout as yours. That way can make the hole for the radio proper 2 din size as the screen I looked at was only 7 inch and 100cm high so not full double din. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:04 PM, Dave said:

Actually, looking at it like that (only getting it 4cms higher) I think you're right! Think I'll go for the same layout as yours. That way can make the hole for the radio proper 2 din size as the screen I looked at was only 7 inch and 100cm high so not full double din. 

If you have any doubts feel free to ask and I will try to help. I bought the screen before starting to know the exact size I wanted to design

Oh, and if someone knows where I can buy a VTi-S rear lip, send me a message

• Like 1